Tire rubbing HELP! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tire rubbing HELP!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #61
chayden088

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

That's probably what it is during tight turns with any speed. Lemme guess, the sound is predominantly from the front outside wheel in turns?
I'm not positive if it comes from mostly the outside because it's load enough where I can't tell. Although this could be wrong but it might happen a little more while turning right. Then again this could because that would make me closer to the outside wheel therefore I can hear it more.

chayden088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #62
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
I stand by my statement in my previous post: "......you clearly have no idea what you're talking about."
Do you even drive a jeep?
B_Baity10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10
If you want the most tire clearance cut it off and re weld it. There is not "jeep law" saying you have to do things a certain way. It's better to do things that work best for you then follow some one else
Honestly you are the first person I have ever seen on here cut it off. We follow some one else because it works well and is SAFE! Cutting of the pinch weld ruins the integrity. If it wasn't necessary then it wouldn't be there right? There is no need to be rude to other members here (especially ones with a lot of experience in not only WK's but also other Jeeps) because we are trying to help you be safe. We are a community of Jeep loving people and we take care of our people. So like I stated we are saying things to you for safety purposes. Not to disrespect you or bash on you.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Do you even drive a jeep?
Funny thing is he owns more than one Jeep....
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
B_Baity10

Look, It worked, if it messes up oh well I'll get it fixed no big deal
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin
Funny thing is he owns more than one Jeep....
Oh really? Bravo
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #67
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayden088 View Post

I'm not positive if it comes from mostly the outside because it's load enough where I can't tell. Although this could be wrong but it might happen a little more while turning right. Then again this could because that would make me closer to the outside wheel therefore I can hear it more.
Well it is common for WK folks with a lift to experience the traction control/btc (brake throttle control) kick in during tight turns especially with any speed. The computer senses the outside tire's excessive spin, relative to the inside tire, as just that - tire spin. So the btc kicks in on the outside wheel. This sounds like abs and a screeching rattle from the backing plate of the wheel hub/rotor assembly.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #68
chayden088

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

That's probably what it is during tight turns with any speed. Lemme guess, the sound is predominantly from the front outside wheel in turns?
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #69
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:

Oh really? Bravo
Dude, don't get your panties in a bunch when we all tried to help you. There's some guys on here that you can learn a thing or two from and your nemesis is one of them.

Learn a thing or two and make some friends on here like i did.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Chayden -- The easy test is to hold down your ESP button and turn traction control off. I give it a 50/50 chance of going away without seeing your Jeep. Whatever you do, don't listen to Baity, even if it doesn't go away with the TC turned off.
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #71
chayden088

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
Chayden -- The easy test is to hold down your ESP button and turn traction control off. I give it a 50/50 chance of going away without seeing your Jeep. Whatever you do, don't listen to Baity, even if it doesn't go away with the TC turned off.
What and where is the ESP button? Thanks for the help and quick responses to everyone as well.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #72
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayden088
What and where is the ESP button? Thanks for the help and quick responses to everyone as well.
It's located below your HVAC buttons
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #73
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayden088 View Post

Try this...I did and it helped a little. Take some white chalk dust and lightly cover the places you think it rubs (for me the pinch weld area) and just drive in a parking lot slowly (DRY OUT). You will see the tire rub marks.
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #74
816jared
2005 WK 

is it possible that it's the bolt from one of the UCA's?
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #75
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
is it possible that it's the bolt from one of the UCA's?
If it was it wouldn't be intermittent. The relationship between the tire shoulder lugs and that bolt is constant. As the wheel/tire moves up/down in travel so does the spindle/ball joint/nut/control arm. As well, the nut is more or less in the center of the wheel so that plane never changes.

In other words, the tire either clears the bolt or it doesn't - regardless of any factor other than fitment.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.