Tire rubbing HELP! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tire rubbing HELP!

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #46
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcolin2351
Splashing slush with salt in it can do damage too over time. Good idea getting it welded. The liner looks good!
Was your liner difficult to install?

B_Baity10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #47
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10

Was your liner difficult to install?
I haven't done it yet. Been working a lot lately. Hopefully this weekend
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #48
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
Sal isn't going to touch it with the liner over it, I'm getting it welded anyways just in case.
Good call. I honestly wouldn't drive it in the meantime if I were you. As mentioned earlier, the pinch welds are crucial to the integrity of the unibody at all four corners. I would hate to see what would happen to a passenger (or the Jeep for that matter) if you got in an accident with a compromised corner on the unibody. The pinch welds don't look like much, but they are there for a purpose.

Don't forget to prime it and put some protectant over it after the welding -- this is still necessary on bare metal.
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #49
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Glad to hear you are rewelding it! It may be a DD with minimal off road use but a pot hole can do some damage also.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #50
chayden088

Hey guys I have a quick question. I have the RC 2 inch lift and 1.5 inch wheel spacers with 265/70/17 wrangler dura tracks. I had a good amount of rubbing at slow parking speeds and also coming out of stop signs with tight turns at faster speeds. My dad who is a mechanic did the pinch weld mod and all rubbing is gone at slow speeds. But at those faster tight turns there is still a lot of rubbing. It makes an awful sound too I cringe every time I here it because at first we cut the plastic thinking that would help but after it just rubbed on the metal and sounds much worse. It almost sounds like abs breaks or traction control coming on. So my question is, is that definitely my tires or could it be something else? Why would it not rub at full lock while parking?
chayden088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #51
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

You said your dad performed the PW mod but they tire is rubbing on the metal? If shouldn't run at all after the mod. If I misread and you did perform the mod fully then it sounds like something else is wrong. If the tire doesn't contact during full lock it shouldn't when turning.

[EDIT]
Do you feel any binding or anything when turning faster?
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #52
B_Baity10

If you don't cut the metal with the plastic then obviously you're going to rub.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #53
chayden088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
You said your dad performed the PW mod but they tire is rubbing on the metal? If shouldn't run at all after the mod. If I misread and you did perform the mod fully then it sounds like something else is wrong. If the tire doesn't contact during full lock it shouldn't when turning.

[EDIT]
Do you feel any binding or anything when turning faster?
Yeah the metal is flush to the fender well. I personally think that it may be both because I get the feeling of binding but I also can hear the tread rubbing. Also if this makes a difference, when I step on the pedal hard from a stop trying to make a tight turn sometimes my jeep doesn't want to go anywhere. Like there is no throttle response and rpms don't even move. Then when it finally goes I get the loud rubbing. If it were to be some kind of abs, traction control or binding problem would it still happen if I turn my traction control off because I've tried that and it still happens?
chayden088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #54
B_Baity10

Just cut the whole pinch weld off like I did and get it welded back together. I mean I have the exact same lift and spacers as you and I'm running 265/70/17 general grabber at2's with after market wheels and I have no rubbing
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #55
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayden088 View Post
It almost sounds like abs breaks or traction control coming on.

That's probably what it is during tight turns with any speed. Lemme guess, the sound is predominantly from the front outside wheel in turns?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #56
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Just cut the whole pinch weld off like I did and get it welded back together. I mean I have the exact same lift and spacers as you and I'm running 265/70/17 general grabber at2's with after market wheels and I have no rubbing
NO - don't do this. It's a waste of time and not necessary.

All due respect, you really have no business recommending folks do that because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #57
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

There is a reason we all do the Pinch Weld mod a certain way. It's not because it's the easiest way or the simplest, it's because it works and is also safe. Cutting it off and rewelding does work but it is more work than necessary and I personally would recommend everyone do it the way everyone else has. Especially someone who is new to the forums and is learning. No disrespect intended. Sorry if it was rude in anyway.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #58
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
NO - don't do this. It's a waste of time and not necessary. All due respect, you really have no business recommending folks do that because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Do you even drive a jeep?
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #59
B_Baity10

If you want the most tire clearance cut it off and re weld it. There is not "jeep law" saying you have to do things a certain way. It's better to do things that work best for you then follow some one else
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #60
JeepN4KC

Quote:

Do you even drive a jeep?
Quote:
If you want the most tire clearance cut it off and re weld it. There is not "jeep law" saying you have to do things a certain way. It's better to do things that work best for you then follow some one else
I stand by my statement in my previous post:

"......you clearly have no idea what you're talking about."

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.