Tire rubbing HELP! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tire rubbing HELP!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Can't quite make out what you did there. You didn't just straight cut the pinch weld out did you?
Yeah I did!

B_Baity10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #32
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
Yeah I did!
^^^

Did you reweld the seam?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #33
B_Baity10

Quote:
^^^ Did you reweld the seam?
Nope simply heated it and beat it together with a hammer
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
JeepN4KC

^^^ I'm confused. Are you talking about the actual pinch weld or the liner. You really shouldn't just cut the pinch weld metal back to the fire wall. The cuts are supposed to be made perpendicular to the "fin", every couple inches (between the spot welds) and hammered over flat.

Click here for pics:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13436206

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #35
B_Baity10

Quote:
^^^ I'm confused. Are you talking about the actual pinch weld or the liner. You really shouldn't just cut the pinch weld metal back to the fire wall. The cuts are supposed to be made perpendicular to the "fin", every couple inches (between the spot welds) and hammered over flat. Click here for pics: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13436206

Either way works
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #36
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Either way works
No - it really doesn't.

As far as eliminating tire rub, sure, but if you cut the entire pinch weld out then you just compromised the integrity of that portion of the unibody.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
B_Baity10

Quote:
No - it really doesn't. As far as eliminating tire rub, sure, but if you cut the entire pinch weld out then you just compromised the integrity of that portion of the unibody.
Either way you can still weld it back together, it's not a big deal plus you get more tire clearance
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Either way you can still weld it back together, it's not a big deal plus you get more tire clearance
Right - which is why I asked if you rewelded the seam. It IS a big deal if you don't reweld it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
B_Baity10

Quote:
Right - which is why I asked if you rewelded the seam. It IS a big deal if you don't reweld it.
It's not cut deep enough to separate. And it was heated and flattened together
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
JeepN4KC

Quote:
It's not cut deep enough to separate. And it was heated and flattened together
Seriously, if you cut the pinch seam out past the spot welds it isn't being held together by anything anymore. That's what the spot welds are for. Using heat and flattening it together isn't going to do anything. It has to be rewelded - plain and simple.

There is a reason the pinch weld modification is done the way I linked in my post above. Any of the unibody platforms that are typically modded, which is all the Cherokees - XJ, ZJ, WJ, WK; the Commander - XK; the Liberty - KJ, KK - they all have a pinch seam and when that pinch seam is modified to fit bigger tires you can't just cut the entire thing out unless you plan to reweld the edge of the seam where you cut it. This entails much more work, not to mention a welder and welding skills - which not everyone has. Which is why the modification is done making cuts between the spot welds and hammered over.

Otherwise the unibody is weakened.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #41
B_Baity10

Quote:
Seriously, if you cut the pinch seam out past the spot welds it isn't being held together by anything anymore. That's what the spot welds are for. Using heat and flattening it together isn't going to do anything. It has to be rewelded - plain and simple. There is a reason the pinch weld modification is done the way I linked in my post above. Any of the unibody platforms that are typically modded, which is all the Cherokees - XJ, ZJ, WJ, WK; the Commander - XK; the Liberty - KJ, KK - they all have a pinch seam and when that pinch seam is modified to fit bigger tires you can't just cut the entire thing out unless you plan to reweld the edge of the seam where you cut it. This entails much more work, not to mention a welder and welding skills - which not everyone has. Which is why the modification is done making cuts between the spot welds and hammered over. Otherwise the unibody is weakened.
I just use my WK has a daily driver not todo any trails or anything so I don't see why it would get nocked apart
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #42
JeepN4KC

Quote:
I just use my WK has a daily driver not todo any trails or anything so I don't see why it would get nocked apart

You really don't get it do you.....................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #43
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10

While its only a DD and rarely off road, if ever....the pinch weld hold the unibody together and essentially works to hold hold it all together regardless of what type of driving you so. A bump, or sharp turn puts stress on that area, thus the pinch weld. If you didn't hit it with some Rustoleum either, it could get ugly quickly for you if in a colder climate that uses salt in the winter. If the weld was only needed for off-roading, it would be a mod people ADDED. It comes with the PW from the factory for a reason.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #44
B_Baity10

Sal isn't going to touch it with the liner over it, I'm getting it welded anyways just in case.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #45
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10
Sal isn't going to touch it with the liner over it, I'm getting it welded anyways just in case.
Splashing slush with salt in it can do damage too over time. Good idea getting it welded. The liner looks good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.