Tire rubbing HELP! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Can't quite make out what you did there. You didn't just straight cut the pinch weld out did you?
Yeah I did!

B_Baity10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
Yeah I did!
^^^

Did you reweld the seam?

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #33 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
^^^ Did you reweld the seam?
Nope simply heated it and beat it together with a hammer
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #34 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
^^^ I'm confused. Are you talking about the actual pinch weld or the liner. You really shouldn't just cut the pinch weld metal back to the fire wall. The cuts are supposed to be made perpendicular to the "fin", every couple inches (between the spot welds) and hammered over flat.


Click here for pics:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13436206

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #35 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
^^^ I'm confused. Are you talking about the actual pinch weld or the liner. You really shouldn't just cut the pinch weld metal back to the fire wall. The cuts are supposed to be made perpendicular to the "fin", every couple inches (between the spot welds) and hammered over flat. Click here for pics: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13436206

Either way works
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #36 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
Either way works
No - it really doesn't.

As far as eliminating tire rub, sure, but if you cut the entire pinch weld out then you just compromised the integrity of that portion of the unibody.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #37 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
No - it really doesn't. As far as eliminating tire rub, sure, but if you cut the entire pinch weld out then you just compromised the integrity of that portion of the unibody.
Either way you can still weld it back together, it's not a big deal plus you get more tire clearance
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #38 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
Either way you can still weld it back together, it's not a big deal plus you get more tire clearance
Right - which is why I asked if you rewelded the seam. It IS a big deal if you don't reweld it.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #39 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Right - which is why I asked if you rewelded the seam. It IS a big deal if you don't reweld it.
It's not cut deep enough to separate. And it was heated and flattened together
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #40 of 77 Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
It's not cut deep enough to separate. And it was heated and flattened together
Seriously, if you cut the pinch seam out past the spot welds it isn't being held together by anything anymore. That's what the spot welds are for. Using heat and flattening it together isn't going to do anything. It has to be rewelded - plain and simple.

There is a reason the pinch weld modification is done the way I linked in my post above. Any of the unibody platforms that are typically modded, which is all the Cherokees - XJ, ZJ, WJ, WK; the Commander - XK; the Liberty - KJ, KK - they all have a pinch seam and when that pinch seam is modified to fit bigger tires you can't just cut the entire thing out unless you plan to reweld the edge of the seam where you cut it. This entails much more work, not to mention a welder and welding skills - which not everyone has. Which is why the modification is done making cuts between the spot welds and hammered over.

Otherwise the unibody is weakened.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #41 of 77 Old 10-24-2013, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Seriously, if you cut the pinch seam out past the spot welds it isn't being held together by anything anymore. That's what the spot welds are for. Using heat and flattening it together isn't going to do anything. It has to be rewelded - plain and simple. There is a reason the pinch weld modification is done the way I linked in my post above. Any of the unibody platforms that are typically modded, which is all the Cherokees - XJ, ZJ, WJ, WK; the Commander - XK; the Liberty - KJ, KK - they all have a pinch seam and when that pinch seam is modified to fit bigger tires you can't just cut the entire thing out unless you plan to reweld the edge of the seam where you cut it. This entails much more work, not to mention a welder and welding skills - which not everyone has. Which is why the modification is done making cuts between the spot welds and hammered over. Otherwise the unibody is weakened.
I just use my WK has a daily driver not todo any trails or anything so I don't see why it would get nocked apart
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #42 of 77 Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
I just use my WK has a daily driver not todo any trails or anything so I don't see why it would get nocked apart


You really don't get it do you.....................

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #43 of 77 Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Tcolin2351
Member
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naperville
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10

I just use my WK has a daily driver not todo any trails or anything so I don't see why it would get nocked apart
While its only a DD and rarely off road, if ever....the pinch weld hold the unibody together and essentially works to hold hold it all together regardless of what type of driving you so. A bump, or sharp turn puts stress on that area, thus the pinch weld. If you didn't hit it with some Rustoleum either, it could get ugly quickly for you if in a colder climate that uses salt in the winter. If the weld was only needed for off-roading, it would be a mod people ADDED. It comes with the PW from the factory for a reason.

06 LJ - Stock for now
Tcolin2351 is offline  
post #44 of 77 Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
B_Baity10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Sal isn't going to touch it with the liner over it, I'm getting it welded anyways just in case.
B_Baity10 is offline  
post #45 of 77 Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Tcolin2351
Member
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naperville
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10
Sal isn't going to touch it with the liner over it, I'm getting it welded anyways just in case.
Splashing slush with salt in it can do damage too over time. Good idea getting it welded. The liner looks good!

06 LJ - Stock for now
Tcolin2351 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome