Tips on washing engine bay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tips on washing engine bay?

Dan's 15% Birthday Sale!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

Tips on washing engine bay?

I noticed today that despite my best efforts to clean out the mud from Bantam, a lot still remains. I would like to pressure wash the engine bay but I'm a bit scared that I may get water someplace I shouldn't.

Has anyone pressure washed (or just with the hose) their engine bay? Any tips or tricks that could help me?

Mostly just splashes up closer to the hood, but, I have some decent chunks under/around the fan and front bumper. Should I just jack it up and go from underneath?

Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Jeep Brian

Take a look here http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/288...what-to-cover/ this should give you an idea on what to cover or not.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:54 AM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

id throw a platic bag over the alternator and the fuse panels. everything else id be comfortable with getting wet. I plan on pressure washing mine this weekend- after watching the CG video on engine bay detailing ill probably go about doing so. throw some cleaner on the engine, agitate it with a brush rinse, and then dry it with a towel. recently did that to my brother VW Tiguan and it turned out great.
Unread Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ehh, I don't worry about getting any of that stuff wet. I don't use a pressure washer though.

I'll just use a brush and whatever soapy water I have left after washing the rest of the Jeep. Spray it down to wet it (maybe let it soak in your case), then brush away to clean off the junk. The electrics are sealed up well enough for normal hose spray and water won't hurt the alternator either.
Unread Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #5
paroxysym
2007 WK 

I know on my GFs wrangler I took the pressure washer to it and some cleaner and it didn't hurt anything... I was just extra precautious with the german stuff lol.
Unread Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #6
Fink132
2008 WK 

A good apc (all purpose cleaner) will help dissolve some of the grease/grime from plastic parts. Engine cleaner also does a great job. I wouldn't worry too much about covering anything. I use a pressure washer on mine and just am careful to avoid directly spraying electrical components

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.