Time for my first CRD oil change! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Time for my first CRD oil change!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
chevra
2008 WK 

Mobil 1 0w40 is the best engine oil[/QUOTE]

Yup that is exactly what i will be getting

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #47
Palak
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd View Post
Most of the points already covered, question remains, why does uk advice differ from US advice for exactly the same engine and why do oil experts ie the boffins at the oil companies reflect the UK style advice ?

What was his explanation for why it wouldn't cause a problem for the particualte filter ?

If my book says w30 I would choose that over and above what's in a random vehicles handbook. Did he also demonstrate that they all have the same components and its only the handbook and sump contents that differ ? Ie are the same partic filters fitted ? Gm and fiat changed theirs , looked the same but worked properly !!

I'm also intrigued that only one place carries that spec !!!????!!!!!! Is it a very small town ? . that spec is extremely common and matches the performance of most of the GM , Ford and BMW specs.

I understand that most of what I wrote had previously been said.. but it's one of those things that it's better to hear it from the mouths of many than from one...

I guess we can look into a little further where the info is coming from.. do you trust the people who MAKE the engine, or the people who USE it?
In other words.. if everyone is bringing forth the words of MERCEDES saying a 5/40 while JEEP says 5/30.. who would you believe?

While I understand that Jeep is saying because of the final product in its entirety, use a 5/30... would MB also not understand since even Jeep is saying use one to a MB standard..

Also, maybe take into consideration that Europe runs more diesels than the US does.. could I dare say that the folks over the pond know a little more about this than the US does?

I agree with you that there is some underlying facts floating somewhere as to WHY the areas reflect different advice.. but while we may not find the fact, I'm comfortable in adhering to it in knowing so many outside circling facts on the case.

While the dealer is not the know it all of everything on his lot.. and I didn't push too far into detail.. he probably is unsure on any difference in the DPF's, etc... and I'm no expert either to say so myself.

as far as the spec being so hard to find here.. it's NOT a small place.. it's Amarillo, TX!.. I figured I wouldn't have an issue finding it here either.. till I started looking.. granted I may still find it somewhere else.. but I ended up having to travel to Lubbock (closest MB dealer) to find it.. I WILL be getting it on-line next change. Checked Napa, Autozone, O'reilly's, Advanced Auto, and a few local shops.. nothing.. even printed out an approved list of oils and asked if they carried any.. ...called the MB in Lubbock asked if he carried that spec and he rambled off the Mobile 1 right away...

Sorry for the book.. lol
Palak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
Drewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
Mobil 1 0w40 is the best engine oil
Yup that is exactly what i will be getting[/QUOTE]

Really? http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...aspx?WT.srch=1

Mobil 1 0W-40 (European Car Formula in North America) synthetic oil is engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) engine technology delivering excellent all-round performance. Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for many types of modern vehicles where it will help provide unsurpassed performance even under very demanding driving conditions.

Thanks to extensive cooperative development work with major manufacturers and the application of the latest lubrication technology, Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil is recommended for many types of modern vehicles where it will help provide unsurpassed performance even under very demanding driving conditions.

•Latest engine technologies including Turbo-chargers, Direct Injection, Diesels (without DPF) and Hybrids
•High performance engines
•Most operating conditions, from mild to extreme
Always consult your owner’s manual to check recommended viscosity grade and specifications for your particular vehicle.

I won't even use it in my lawnmower. 5w40 minimum or a low SAP oil of higher weight 10w40 or 15w40. I don't care about the MB specs but do care that I use an oil that won't clog my DPF prematurely requiring its replacement.

You want an oil:
Low ash content
  • Helps reduce particulate buildup in diesel particulate filters.
Low sulphur and phosphorous content
  • Helps reduce poisoning of catalytic converters
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #49
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post

Mobil 1 0W-40 (European Car Formula in North America) synthetic oil is engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) engine technology delivering excellent all-round performance. Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for many types of modern vehicles where it will help provide unsurpassed performance even under very demanding driving conditions.

Thanks to extensive cooperative development work with major manufacturers and the application of the latest lubrication technology, Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil is recommended for many types of modern vehicles where it will help provide unsurpassed performance even under very demanding driving conditions.

•Latest engine technologies including Turbo-chargers, Direct Injection, Diesels (without DPF) and Hybrids
•High performance engines
•Most operating conditions, from mild to extreme
Always consult your owner’s manual to check recommended viscosity grade and specifications for your particular vehicle.

I won't even use it in my lawnmower. 5w40 minimum or a low SAP oil of higher weight 10w40 or 15w40. I don't care about the MB specs but do care that I use an oil that won't clog my DPF prematurely requiring its replacement.

You want an oil:
Low ash content
[*]Helps reduce particulate buildup in diesel particulate filters.
Low sulphur and phosphorous content
[*]Helps reduce poisoning of catalytic converters
[/QUOTE]

Sorry you must have missed my post further up. I am removing my DPF right away. I agree that i would never use it with the DPF, i currently use 5w40. Once the DPF is out i will switch to the mobil 0w40. That is what best suites my climate here, from -30 celsius to +30 celsius, anyone with a diesel and dpf delete uses that oil around here.
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #50
Palak
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post

[I]Mobil 1 0W-40 (European Car Formula in North America) synthetic oil is engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) engine technology...

I think you missed where he said he didn't have a DPF.

Anyone in the states know of something OTHER than the Mobil 1 esp formula M 5w40 that will work for this engine that can still be found here in the states? ...I have the mobil 1 in mine at the moment... but checking prices often... some days, it is just down right insane... local shop wants $12.79/quart!!!... and offers no discount for buying in bulk.

tried running down the MB 229.51 list for all the 5w40's.. looked to see what I could even find to purchase through google shopping... no luck.. but I know they aren't perfect.
Palak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #51
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palak View Post

Anyone in the states know of something OTHER than the Mobil 1 esp formula M 5w40 that will work for this engine that can still be found here in the states? ...I have the mobil 1 in mine at the moment... but checking prices often... some days, it is just down right insane... local shop wants $12.79/quart!!!... and offers no discount for buying in bulk.
I just bought the Pentosin HP2 oil change kit from IDParts. They offer 4 different oils that meed the MB standard for your Jeep.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=3049
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #52
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Palak, you can get lubromoly, valvoline and Mobil 1 229.51 oils at Napa. The valvoline regularly goes on sale for 4.99-5.49 a quart.

Some walmarts and some advance also carry the valvoline. Look for part number VV966.
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #53
manny31
2008 WK 

just delete DPF, you will love the way it runs and save a **** load of money on oil. Rotella T6 for me. Easy to find and nobody can argue about Rotella

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.