Time for my first CRD oil change! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Time for my first CRD oil change!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
jaje
2007 WK 

I run Liqui Moly (or Lubro Moly) 229.51 spec oil and get a great deal on eBay buying 20 liters at a time from this one reseller in Ohio. I only pay ~ $130 shipped to my door so it is pretty cheap for two oil changes for the CRD. The oil is only 3-4 months old so it is not old stock that has gone stale. I then get a WIX filter from my local auto parts shop as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/parts4urvwna...p2047675.l2562

#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
I run Liqui Moly (or Lubro Moly) 229.51 spec oil and get a great deal on eBay buying 20 liters at a time from this one reseller in Ohio. I only pay ~ $130 shipped to my door so it is pretty cheap for two oil changes for the CRD. The oil is only 3-4 months old so it is not old stock that has gone stale. I then get a WIX filter from my local auto parts shop as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/parts4urvwna...p2047675.l2562
Thanks for the info! But it looks like all he has is the stuff I got that is 229.3 spec :\
DesertDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
Thanks for the info! But it looks like all he has is the stuff I got that is 229.3 spec :\
Yeah that guy sells 229.51 spec from time to time. I just check from time to time (have an addiction to looking for deals on eBay) and find it and buy it immediately.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Very good deal on that. Will have to keep that in mind. I just am hoping someone can give me a strong answer on if the 229.3 for 8k miles will be fine and not cause any damage as long as I switch to 229.51 my next oil change...
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd View Post
A gadget for gadgets sake ?

Similar have been on sale here in the past, fine for a sterile environment but.....Definitely potential for problems , particularly on a off road vehicle when their advice is :

"if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak."
Plenty of us run them on our CRD's , and it is pretty well protected. Makes changing oil easier.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
BAH101
2008 WK 

The valve sits pretty high up, near the top of the plastic piece on the engine skid plate. There is about 3 in of clearance between the skid and the valve. If you hit something to damage the valve, you have a lot more to worry about than the valve.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Using .51 spec Pennzoil I change mine every 6500 anyway so just change it then or sooner. You'll be fine. I am crazy when it comes to oil changes (2x most people) but it seems to work so far at over 100k miles and no massive issues ----knock knock woody. My swirl motor is toast and I resistor'd it so what that does the the DPF is another story .
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd

No not the case (info from several sources)

The MB standard relates to the engineering standard of the oil. It's stability , it's construction, the fact it's low ash etc etc.

What it doesn't necessarily enforce is its viscosity requirements.

You may have a 10w50 , a 0w30 or a 5w40 all complying with a given standard.

2 stage in selecting your oil, make sure , In this case , the mb std matches your vehicle then the viscosity matches.

A w40 in a particualte filter equipped car will cause long term problems.

Hope that clears it up.
You do know that Mercedes specs 5w40 in all their diesel equipped vehicles with the OM642 diesel engine? All of their diesels have DPFs and they are using 5w40.... Not sure I understand your statement "a w40 in a particulate filter equipped car will cause long term problems"
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #24
Ditchd
2009 WK 

I've stated quite clearly that I'm not the boffin and i will happily stand corrected if US spec is different. A bit of decent research will answer your question and help you understand.

Merc do not recommend 10w40 specifically. Its in the owners handbook !!!!! They recomend a range of viscosities. They recomend a max viscosity of w30 on a 3.0 CRD engine equipped with the filter. Or at least that's what they told me

Furthermore have a chat with the oil people , they will answer your questions. Have you looked at the castrol recommendation I posted ? There's the Mobil one too. They all arrive at the same conclusion which is based on oil expertise IN CONJUNCTION with Merc.

Plus not all OM642 Engines have particualte filters, mine certainly doesn't. Therefore if I want to I can use w40 , again info from Merc via the dealers.

If you google particulate filter and oil problems you'll soon have the light bulb come on save me posting it all.

Not at all sure what you don't understand ?
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quick one.......

This article is typical though not necessarily definitive regarding using the wrong oil.

http://www.uk.commaoil.com/diesel-particulate-filters

Fair play it doesn't mention viscosity but then it doesn't mention a lot of other things, it stays on a pretty simple level. The clear point though is that the oil affects production , or not, of soot and ash and other things that will screw things up.

So......Any student of basic physics will tell you that fluids react differently and perform differently dependant upon pressure, temperature flow etc etc . One further Crucial feature that Impacts upon all of those criteria is viscosity. Put it in perspective a w40 is 25% different to a w30 (for our purposes) and is therefore quite a variable to introduce and leave to chance when a/ w30 is recomended virtually without exception and b/ you read stories like these:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...l-problem.html

And there's loads of those accounts around around, Mazda , Merc and Fiat seem to figure quite highly.

I've also been on every major oil company web site I can think of and spoken with several. They all recomend either 5w30 for particualte filter equipped crds and 5w40 for non equipped or , and this is the rub, 5w30 for all , not the other way round.

Now these guys are the boffins so it's not just me. As I stated very clearly ill happily stand corrected if up to date info on US spec says otherwise , no problem. But as its the same engine, I'd be cautious and be doing a hell of a lot of research.
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I agree that there are different oils that can be used by the OM642.....here in the USA...if you went to a Mercedes dealer and got your oil changed they will use 5w40 Mobil1 ESP. If you go to the parts counter and ask for oil for your OM642 with a DPF that will provide you quarts of 5w40 Mobil 1 ESP.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
Drewd

I won't drink the 5w30 or thinner oil Koolaid for any diesel engine. Since I tow very heavy in summer, I've gone up to a low emission 15w40 oil for those months I'm towing my large camper.

To the OP, you can keep your original non-.51 oil; your engine won't mind but your DEF wil.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

What I got from everyone so far is this: Putting the 229.3 in my CRD will not effect the engine at all, but it will damage the DPF in the LONG run if I keep it a habit of running the same 229.3 oil in it... I talked to the MB dealer and they recommended using 5W40, that I am not questioning nor debating... I think i'll believe the MB dealer being as we have their engine... Next time i'll be sure to get 229.51, but for now, i'll run this 229.3 for around 8k miles and change to .51 my next oil change.
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #29
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
What I got from everyone so far is this: Putting the 229.3 in my CRD will not effect the engine at all, but it will damage the DPF in the LONG run if I keep it a habit of running the same 229.3 oil in it... I talked to the MB dealer and they recommended using 5W40, that I am not questioning nor debating... I think i'll believe the MB dealer being as we have their engine... Next time i'll be sure to get 229.51, but for now, i'll run this 229.3 for around 8k miles and change to .51 my next oil change.
Agreed

I'm intrigued though why uk recommendations are different to US for the same engine ????????????
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

MB 229.3 is a gas engine spec, as is MB 229.5. It's 229.51 that is the MB OEM diesel spec just like scootr said. Oil intended for gassers won't stand up to deisel abuse for very long. Liqui Moly does make an oil that meets MB 229.51 but I don't believe that is it.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.