Time for my first CRD oil change! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Time for my first CRD oil change!

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Time for my first CRD oil change!

Well it's time to do my first oil change since i bought my CRD. Did a lot of research including calling the local Mercedes dealer, found out that Mercedes has changed their mind about 5W-30 and they recommend 5W-40. Went to Napa auto parts and the guy their knew my engine quite well to my surprise and he said they had MB specific 229.3 full synthetic oil. 5L jugs. bought 2 and a filer, out the door for $88. Liqui Moly is the stuff. He swor by it. Well anywhoo, going to go change the oil now. let me know what you all think!

photo-29-.jpg   photo-30-.jpg  
DesertDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
terrasmak
2007 WK 

http://www.fumotousa.com/ get one before you do the change. It is a CRD must.
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel
Well it's time to do my first oil change since i bought my CRD. Did a lot of research including calling the local Mercedes dealer, found out that Mercedes has changed their mind about 5W-30 and they recommend 5W-40. Went to Napa auto parts and the guy their knew my engine quite well to my surprise and he said they had MB specific 229.3 full synthetic oil. 5L jugs. bought 2 and a filer, out the door for $88. Liqui Moly is the stuff. He swor by it. Well anywhoo, going to go change the oil now. let me know what you all think!
Oil should be 229.51 compliant....229.3 does not cut it, especially for DPF equipped vehicles....actually I would not use anything less than 229.5
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Checked the list of approved oils by Mercedes and the liqui moly 5W40 was on the list....
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
Checked the list of approved oils by Mercedes and the liqui moly 5W40 was on the list....
I've just been doing a load of research on this. My first oil change too.

Scootr is correct. The oil must comly with the 5 not the 3 standard.

If you have a particualte equipped vehicle you must use a low ash 5w30 NOT a 5w40 . It will cause problems in the long run.
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
http://www.fumotousa.com/ get one before you do the change. It is a CRD must.
A gadget for gadgets sake ?

Similar have been on sale here in the past, fine for a sterile environment but.....Definitely potential for problems , particularly on a off road vehicle when their advice is :

"if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak."
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
Yes but not for your vehicle perhaps ?
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd

I've just been doing a load of research on this. My first oil change too.

Scootr is correct. The oil must comly with the 5 not the 3 standard.

If you have a particualte equipped vehicle you must use a low ash 5w30 NOT a 5w40 . It will cause problems in the long run.
5w40 is fine as long as it meets 229.51....Mercedes specs a 5w40 229.51 oil.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
5w40 is fine as long as it meets 229.51....Mercedes specs a 5w40 229.51 oil.

No not the case (info from several sources)

The MB standard relates to the engineering standard of the oil. It's stability , it's construction, the fact it's low ash etc etc.

What it doesn't necessarily enforce is its viscosity requirements.

You may have a 10w50 , a 0w30 or a 5w40 all complying with a given standard.

2 stage in selecting your oil, make sure , In this case , the mb std matches your vehicle then the viscosity matches.

A w40 in a particualte filter equipped car will cause long term problems.

Hope that clears it up.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Good examples ,

Good quality 5w30 that meets .51

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-713-cast...ngine-oil.aspx

And a 5w40 that does too

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74272-ca...ngine-oil.aspx

I'm using castrol here as the examples because whatever your thoughts on them they do produce good stuff and are knowleadgable if you go on their web site and use their what oil for my car they point out w40 for non particualte and w30 for particualate. Other vehicles notably ford a few years back suffered from using thicker oil in the zetec engine. Be careful.

More to the point other manufacturers state exactly the same.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

So... Will I Be okay till my next oil change... Or do I need to fork out another $90 and change my oil again...
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Ditchd
2009 WK 

The following are my thoughts and not instructions, quite happy to be proven wrong ��

I would change it reasonably soon IF you have a particulate filter. I worked for many years as an aircraft tech and the results of the wrong oil, or oil breakdown on components were often evident on service.

Particulate filters are sensitive beasties but I have to honest though, I've little experience of them going wrong. But I a reliably informed that wrong oil will affect it and I don't know if jeep ones are replace or clean ?

That said the plus side is the CRD engine itself can happily run on 5w40.

I'd run it a while and save some dosh for new oil. My gut Instinct would be no problems short term but running on that long term is not an option.

I must stress that's my personal take and I like to change my oil round about every 6 months doing about 14 000 miles a year. I often feel oil is the least understood and least contemplated crucial component.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Should clarify a point I made earlier........

The ford problems came from the wrong oil, they didn't affect the engine itself at first, similar to the particulate filter example, the oil clogged up various breathers and caused amongst other things back pressure and misfires. Ie metalwork of the engine fine, but made to run incorrectly by ancillary component problems.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

I don't want it to ruin the DPF if that's what it'll do... I was going to change my oil in 8k mile intervals. So should I just cut my loss and call myself an idiot for not getting the EXACT oil needed and change it within a month, or will I honestly be okay running it for a few thousand miles with no issues at all?
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Ditchd
2009 WK 

I really don't think it'll do any harm in the short term if you intend changing it that soon. But that's just my take and I've chuntered on enough.

I'm sure there's more info amongst the forum members

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.