Ticking noise from 5.7 Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Ticking noise from 5.7 Hemi

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
cheef0216
2009 WK 

Ticking noise from 5.7 Hemi

Is it normal to have the Hemi make a ticking noise at certain speeds and RPM's? i also hear it when I first start it up in the morning in the garage since the sound is bouncing off the walls. There is only 5200 miles on the motor and were 3800 on it when I bought the Jeep. It seems like I also hear the ticking when going down the highway at cruising speed when the MDS might have kicked in. I want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the motor and hope that this is normal with the Hemi's.

It might be my imagination but I swear i also experience power surges at high way speeds,especially at lower RPM's, between 1300 and 1800. You can see the tach bouncing a little bit and feel a little bit of it too. Again, normal for a Hemi?

I read that people have taken Jeeps back to the dealers and asked them to reflash the ECU and it has corrected problems similar to what I have stated above. If this is the case, what should I specifically ask/tell the dealer to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cheef0216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Hemi tick is normal, and what you're probably experiencing on the highway is the MDS system kicking on and off.
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
cheef0216
2009 WK 

Alright. Thank you for clarifying that. i wish the MDS kicking on and off didnt feel like mini power surges but oh well. I love the Hemi.

A little off topic, but will the Hemi sound alot different with an air intake like one from Mopar or AirRaid? I am aking because when i put on one the WRX i used to own, you could really hear the motor breathe and the turbo spooling. With the performance gains, whatever they may be, I would like to know if it makes the Hemi sound alot better. Thanks
Unread 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
345jeep
2008 WK 

In addition to MDS, there is also a tach bump when the transmission shifts between the low and high overdrive.

In tow haul mode, I believe that fifth overdrive is blocked, which is why your gear indicator does not show 'D' when you are in tow/haul.
345jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
cheef0216
2009 WK 

So with the MDS kicking on and off, bumping between the overdrives, and looking for the correct gear to be in, the surges or hesitation is normal to experience?

I know that when going up a hill at 60 or 65, you can definately feel what I am talking about. However, when you appply just a slight amount of gas the feeling goes away and all you feel is power.

I guess my main point for asking these questions are to make sure the motor is operating normally and to see if it is possible that the motor was not broken in properly or beat on heavily very early on in its life.

If it was beat on early or not broken in properly, would there be other signs that i would notice or other things to look for?

There were 3,800 miles on it when I got it and i now have 5,300 miles on it.
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
jc45840
2001 TJ Wrangler 

my 2006 WK hemi could be discribed with may of the same trates. It is almost like it has a lag between what your foot tells it to do and the expected reaction. Once it knows what to do it really takes charge. I believe what you are discribing is normal and I don not believe break in has any effect on what you are experancing. I do not believe most people would be able to drive one hard enough to effect the motor assumiong they are resonable after spending over 40K plus on a cherokee. Just my 2 cents. just drive it and service it
jc45840 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
cheef0216
2009 WK 

That makes me feel better after hearing that. My only arguement would be that I am the 1st actual owner. It was only in Chryslers name before. It was a demo that some executive drove. I would hope that he would not beat the hell out of it but you never know since he did not pay for it.
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
coultond
2009 WK 

I have a 2009 Hemi and would agree to your description on just about everything. I'm generally convinced it's normal behavior. I've had it since 15 miles on the clock and can say it's acted the same through 5k miles now.

As far as sound from an intake -- yes. It will sound different but only "really different" up past 3000 RPM or so. If you enjoy mashing through the high end of the RPM range, you will enjoy the sound.

Is your WK Black and did it come from Maryland-- specifically through the DarCars family of dealerships? If so -- I almost bought it back in May.
coultond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

If it makes you feel better, I'll add to my above post that mines does it still with 65,000 miles on the clock. It's an annoyance (the MDS on-off) but I'm usually the only person noticing.
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
jc45840
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheef0216 View Post
That makes me feel better after hearing that. My only arguement would be that I am the 1st actual owner. It was only in Chryslers name before. It was a demo that some executive drove. I would hope that he would not beat the hell out of it but you never know since he did not pay for it.
That is perfect, no way would an exec beat the car, it is not like he has never driven one before and why would he? My 2006 came to me with 38K miles and belonged to an electrical eng in the jeep plant in Toledo. He took an early out and got a $25,000 toward a new car as part of his exit package so he took the $25,000 and traded in his 2006 and put it all toward a new one at employee price! The 2006 was like perfect - looked like no ever even sat in the back or passager seat. It was like new - new. Plus I know the service manager because I work with his wife and he said the 2006 had been for service every time it was due. He just did not do the 36,000 mile service so I had to complete that one.

anyway if you got a "Brass Hat" car you did just fine. Brass Hat = company exec car + usally a great find and more rare these days. The companies are cutting those programs way back.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
cheef0216
2009 WK 

I believe mine came from Michigan and a dealer from PA picked it up. It was always titled in Chryslers name until I got it.

I feel a lot better hearing more input from all of you . Thanks. I am convinced that if I keep up on service, which I always do, and dont beat the hell out of it, it will last a very long time.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
jc45840
2001 TJ Wrangler 

your WK sounds nice you should put up some pictures sometime .....jeez man the newest top of the line WK must be nice, I will post some of mine this next week. I am taking some time off and will post a couple of mine de-badged & pre color grill.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
jc45840
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One last comment for you, everything you discribed felt so much more noticable when I first got mine. I think you get used to it and you will adjust your style a little when you know how it acts to the heavy foot.
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Thanks. I am convinced that if I keep up on service, which I always do, and dont beat the hell out of it, it will last a very long time.
Ah, just keep up with the service. If you can't beat up on it every now and then where's the fun?
Unread 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
cheef0216
2009 WK 

I will try and get some pictures up this weekend. Where is the best place on the forum to put them? Since i dont have many posts yet, i have to put the IMG link instead of the pictures and people will have to click to see it, right?

I was fortunate that my last car was paid off and that I was able to find this WK with such low miles and a great price.

I rarely drive like a mad man, but it sure is nice to know that the power is there when I need it. Plus, it pulls my boat with no problems at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.