Thumping from front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Thumping from front

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Thumping from front

We have a 2005 WK Jeep GC 3.0L CRD with 66,000 miles on the clock. When going over bumps I can hear a thumping in the front. The front shock absorbers were replaced about 3,000 miles ago.
Steering seems to be fine cornering etc, but noticed when going over cats eyes, the vehicle seems to bounce more than usual and steering doesn't feel firm.
I have noticed that when going over a large bump in the road i.e. "sleeping policeman" the vehicle creaks quite loudly. I also noticed this when coming off the pavement back onto the road.
The mechanic has done a visual inspection and cannot see anything wrong. The vehicle has also undergone a road worthiness test and passed with flying colours.
Can any one offer any suggestions what could be causing the thumping when going over manhole covers etc and also the creaking? Thanks.

Surfer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
BAH101
2008 WK 

I would say your front sway bar links and bushings are worn out. I had to change mine around the same mileage as you had.

Sleeping policemen, love that term lol...but he in North America, we have to be politically correct and call them speed bumps. Guess they don't want anyone to take it literally and actually run over policemen, sleeping or not.
Cats eyes? What would they be?
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
I would say your front sway bar links and bushings are worn out. I had to change mine around the same mileage as you had.

Sleeping policemen, love that term lol...but he in North America, we have to be politically correct and call them speed bumps. Guess they don't want anyone to take it literally and actually run over policemen, sleeping or not.
Cats eyes? What would they be?
Having read through a few forums this seems to be the general consensus. Generally in the middle of the road on the white lines you have these little white pads with reflective "glass" in them. I have no idea what you call them in the states. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_eye_%28road%29
We also have them on the side of the road to wake you up if you start drifting off the road. They are closely spaced and when the Jeep hits them the Jeep feels as if though it is wandering.
Surfer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

I would say it is the bushings as well. I had the same problem with my 05 a few months ago. I reported this same clunking and bumping to the mechanic when I took it in for an inspection. They found that bushings in the front were bad. They replaced them and it hasn't done it since.

Hope this helps you out.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.