For those with a hidden winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > For those with a hidden winch

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
skrach77
2005 WK 

For those with a hidden winch

I'm about to pull the trigger and do this. I'm wondering though if not spending the extra cash for a waterproof winch is a bad idea.

Those of you with hidden winches in the front bumper- has this been an issue for u? I'm worried about the low mounting elevation from the ground...?

skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

I went with an X20 Comp series Smittybilt, but that's a decision you have to make. A splash of water isn't going to kill a winch, but I decided I would rather have the added security.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I have had the Superwinch EP9 in there coming up on 2 years now. She doesn't see much water living here in SoCal, but its been dipped a couple times. I hardly ever use it, but when I need it it always works. I just used it about a month ago and it worked beautifully! I had the AC blasting and just left the Jeep idling and neither the winch or the engine skipped a beat through the entire pull. It's an awesome winch with great power, low amp draw, and can be had at a decent price.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
skrach77
2005 WK 

I'm looking at picking up an XRC8, but am worried about the lack of being waterproof. I do plan to relocate the solenoid up, higher in the engine bay. But I'm worried about how high the winch sits from the ground.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, I guess it does sit basically "inside" the front bumper which is a decent height, and I don't usually burry my jeep underwater. I know they can get wet and be ok, I was just worried the times I really need a winch would be when it's nose down in a river crossing and since that's the leading part of the jeep it will be too late by the time you realize u need to pull cable.
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would be more concerned about weight. Be sure to get a winch that is properly rated for the weight of our beasts!

Unread 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
skrach77
2005 WK 

Well at just under 5K lbs, 8K winch is more than 1.5 X my weight. Then factor in a snatch block for double pulls when needed and the fact that I haven't needed help yet, and I think I'll be ok with the 8K. And with about 50ft in straps already onboard to add to the roughly 50ft of cable reach while setup double- I live in Oklahoma... It's pretty rare to not have a tree to grab onto within 100ft
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I just know mine weighs in close to if not over 6k then add whatever gear I might have at the time plus people weight and it adds up fast. Having to pull the Jeep out of some nasty mud or fighting the weight up and over rocks is not an easy task for a winch. I like to know I can use a block, but I don't like to rely on one in case the situation doesn't allow it. I know not everyone likes to plan out the worst case scenarios though. And sometimes its just not practical to carry or equip ones Jeep accordingly! I would have prefered a 10-12k winch but I didn't think I could squeeze a good one in there.

Unread 12-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
skrach77
2005 WK 

You got me thinking, now I'm worried the 8k wont be enough! The mud here is clay based and doesn't let go!

Guess on a positive note (knocking on wood) she hasn't failed me yet and hasn't been stuck or unable to go where I told her too.
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

I went with the XRC10 X20 Comp because its watertight and came with Synth line. I decided I wanted 10k because framing a almost 6k lb vehicle in the mud or sand is a tough pull and though I carry snatch blocks I would rather be safe than sorry. When I bought mine the price difference was only like $50 or something.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
skrach77
2005 WK 

Just thought about this more, and checked the weight on mine... Over 6K lbs. looks like I'm going 10k or 12k on the winch if I can find one that I can make fit
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
jjt250
2007 WK 

Dang you're at 6000 lbs? A stock Hemi weighs around 4700 if I'm not mistaken. Do you have a lot of armor and carry a lot things in your trunk?
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Dang you're at 6000 lbs? A stock Hemi weighs around 4700 if I'm not mistaken. Do you have a lot of armor and carry a lot things in your trunk?
Fully loaded with diesel and full armor...my wife and dog I weighed in at 6400 pounds....this was for a week camping trip.

A HEMI weighs about the same as the diesel.....just saying that weight adds up....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
skrach77
2005 WK 

My door sticker on my fully opt'd '05 WK Hemi Limited says its GAVW is 6200lbs
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Quantum
2007 WK 

Well you're not lifting it straight up in the air!

Pull might be 800 lbs in most cases.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Well you're not lifting it straight up in the air!

Pull might be 800 lbs in most cases.
Problem is winches are not rated for dead lift. They are rated for rolling line weight. What you're thinking of isn't a winch rather a hoist. Different animal.

And a Jeep stuck to its belly pan in gooey mud will ACT like 12,000 pounds when the winch has to not only pull the Jeep THROUGH the mud (pushing close to double the weight of the Jeep in mud out of the way in the process), but most people try to get up on TOP of the mud on the way.

So yes, it IS lifting it. And not straight up. It's pulling the Jeep up on top by pulling it sideways, which can increase the weight of the Jeep that the winch sees by several multiples by way of leverage (against the winch).

In the picture below, the winch is pulling along the red axis. The Jeep needs to move in the green axis. So for every inch the winch has to pull forward, it also has to impart 3 inches upwards, which you'd have to ask an engineering major what that works out to be, but I would imagine it multiplies the Jeep's weight by four.

This also applies to going over a rock or a log (anything that you have to climb over to move forward), which is why even with the double torque multiplier of 4 Lo, sometimes you can't get over an obstacle.
winch.jpg  
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.