For those with a front end "pop" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > For those with a front end "pop"

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #61
Atrain1066
2005 WK 

I've got a 5.7, with a rough country 2" spacer lift. My clunking was so bad that when I would drive over rough patches of road it sounded like the whole front end of the Jeep was going to fall out. After reading this thread I ordered a set of external torx sockets on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This set has the E20, but it's 3/8 drive - not 1/2 inch, allowing you to use a smaller ratchet. With a 6 inch extension, I was able to make my adjustment without loosening the bolts holding the rack to it's frame. It's absolutely amazing that a quarter turn on that one little bolt can make all that noise go away. Now my Jeep is as quiet as it was prior to the lift. Could not be happier.

285/60R/18 Nitto Terra Grappler
Atrain1066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #62
punisher65

2006 WK 

I suspect that I need to do this, but it probably won't take care of all my clunks Thankfully those are only present when the suspension suddenly drops. I do have the acceleration clunk that people have mentioned. I'll try this on Saturday...sounds like an easy thing to do even if it doesn't fix everything!
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

I guess I'll try this on the weekend as well. I've got a bad clunk over bumps or uneven surfaces.. If that doesn't help anything I guess I'll put new sway bar bushings and end links on? Picked this up a few months ago not sure if it's lifted any or not, 21 1/4 hub to fender front and rear?
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #64
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Tweaked the rack and got 80 % of clunk and steering play out. Put some Moog sway bar bushings in after now she's golden! Thanks for the initial post and a heads up to everyone battling the issue...
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #65
RealDealWK

My clunk has to be this. I have no sway bars! Just got my e20 socket in

NC State ENGINEERING

"What a wretched man I am. Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord." -Romans 7:24-25
RealDealWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #66
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Managed to tighten it up without the E20 just only about an 1/8 turn but even that helped. Subscribed to this thread awhile back and finally got around to doing this. Thanks OP.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #67
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

I gotta do this, mine just started clunking after a week of hard use during deer hunting.
lucifers_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #68
CrazyCanuck66
2008 WK 

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
Tight fit? The bolt head is right in the open up front next to the swaybar bushing. Couldn't be any easier! Just get a socket on a breaker bar
Hey I was looking at ur pic that u posted. Is this where I'm suppose to tighten to get rid of the acceleration pop. I found this on my jeep just woundering why it's so different looking then the first 3 pics posted? And if it is which bolt in ur pic do I tighten?
CrazyCanuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #69
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

The very first pic in the thread is the bolt on the rack that you adjust using a E20 socket. Only move it 1/8-1/4 turn. The pic I posted that your referring to, shows the bolt holding the rack to the frame. There are 2 bolts. If you back off those bops a little, it allows the rack to move enough to get the E20 socket onto the rack to make your adjustment
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #70
Saleen405
2006 WK 

I don't have the "acceleration pop" you guys are talking about. It does clunk when I hit bumps tho. This morning the car was in park and I turned the wheel back and forth quickly and it was clunking. Could tightening this bolt fix that clunk? I already bought everything I need to replace the diff bushings because I didn't know if it was that that was clunking. I am just waiting for it to get a little warmer before I get into that. I think tightening this bolt is a little easier than doing the diff bushings.
Saleen405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #71
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

My guess would be that your issue is ball joints or control arm bushings rather than the rack
Unread 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #72
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
Tight fit? The bolt head is right in the open up front next to the swaybar bushing. Couldn't be any easier! Just get a socket on a breaker bar
Wait, that's the bolt we need to tighten? Is that the exact spot for the hemi?

Also, this also gets rid of play on the steering while driving right? Like my steering is pretty straight, just got an alignment, only above 60 is wobbles a little. And I randomly hear a pop or something when I accelerate, so this is the fix, yeah?

Black WK Club #110
Tamerin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #73
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerin
Wait, that's the bolt we need to tighten? Is that the exact spot for the hemi? Also, this also gets rid of play on the steering while driving right? Like my steering is pretty straight, just got an alignment, only above 60 is wobbles a little. And I randomly hear a pop or something when I accelerate, so this is the fix, yeah?
Yes, based on your symptoms, it sounds like you would benefit from this adjustment. However, the bolt I was talking about when you quoted me is to loosen the rack to help you gain access to the bolt head needing adjustment. Look back toward the beginning of this thread for pictures of the actual bolt head to adjust
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #74
james_2k
2009 WK 

has anyone got an idiots guide to this repair?

i cant find where the adjustment is to be made.. i cant even see the middle bit of the steering rack, seems to be pushed up against that frame bracket.

anyone got a nice step by step guide for the crd?

symptoms i have are.

slight knock going over small bumps. and if i go over several close small bumps at around 5 mph, get a quite awful clanking noise. dealer said they couldnt find anything in the suspension..

i dont have any clunks at all going from P N R or any combinations of them.

sometimes get a clunk when accelerating from 20 or so mph after coasting.

any ideas guys?
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #75
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Look at the 4th page. Shows a pic of the part. It's the star shaped bolt. E20 torx needed. It's on the driver side of the vehicle when you're looking up under it.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.