For those with a front end "pop" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > For those with a front end "pop"

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
oducks12
2005 WK 

For those with a front end "pop"

I've had a noise coming from the front end recently. It seems to happen whenever I start moving from a stop, only heading forwards. I did some searching on JF and didn't find anything that seemed to match my problem, most of it was about sway bar bushings and brackets, of which mine are new. I did find a post about it on jeep garage here that I thought I'd give a shot. It worked WONDERS.

Basically there is a bolt that tightens / looses the steering yoke, which had either gotten loose or needed to be adjusted because of the change in suspension geometry. The bolt is located (at least on the 3.7) right behind the plastic oil drain for the oil filter. To access the bolt, which is a 12 point 15mm, you will need to remove the plastic oil drain. There are two bolts, on that is visible from looking down through the hood and the other from looking up under the bumper. Remove those two bolts and you can wiggle the drain out of the way. Don't turn the steering yoke bolt too far, as it will tighten the steering to the point that it is too stiff. I learned this the hard way and had to go back and loosen it a bit. It seems like 1/4 turn is enough. Anyway the noise is gone, and the steering feels quite a bit better.

Photos are of the steering yoke bolt, and the two drain tube bolts. Hope this helps someone out!

photo.jpg   photo-copy.jpg   photo-copy-2.jpg  
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
eprovenzano
2005 WK 

I just put my lift on, and have squeak from the driver side, so I'm assuming sway bar, but will also look into the steering yoke too.

thanks
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
xOakley
2005 WK 

Will be giving this a shot thank you for the info!
xOakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

This post is awesome. I hope this is my issue. I have a "pop" that started after getting lifted. It only happens when hitting the gas just as mentioned. I will check this out later after work
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed, thanks
phottomatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I also was in that post I feel like im part of something lol jk. I cant wait to do this its almost more like looseness in the steering is how I would describe it there is a pop from time to time.
jeremyc653 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
silentj
2006 XK Commander 

I thought I was the only person with this issue. I will be doing this ASAP.

On a side note, was your steering feeling really loose when hitting bumps on the road?
06' XK 3.7 - RC 2" Lift | Hypertech Max Energy 52001 | Bilstein HD Front & Rear Shocks | Hankook DynaPro ATM 255/70R18 | 18" Sahara wheels | Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers | Rola Basket | Smittybilt D-ring Tow Hitch | 4XGuard Matrix | Hella 500's
silentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

No luck. I couldn't get the bolt to turn. I even stripped the head a little since a 12 point really isn't the correct socket. Anyone know the name of that style bolt head?
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
oducks12
2005 WK 

That sucks I'm sorry. I'm not sure what the name of the bolt is, Autozone or some place probably will though
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12
That sucks I'm sorry. I'm not sure what the name of the bolt is, Autozone or some place probably will though
The bolt head you pictured, is that the bolt you used for adjustment, or did you remove that "cap" to expose a bolt inside? And the part that turns is actually much larger than the bolt head right? The bolt head is just in the middle
Unread 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
oducks12
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
The bolt head you pictured, is that the bolt you used for adjustment, or did you remove that "cap" to expose a bolt inside? And the part that turns is actually much larger than the bolt head right? The bolt head is just in the middle
On mine the bolt head pictured is what I turned to make the adjustment. From my understanding the bolt head is just in the middle of a larger mechanism, but I'm not sure. It's possible that the design changed year to year or engine to engine, again not sure.

Unread 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12 View Post
On mine the bolt head pictured is what I turned to make the adjustment. From my understanding the bolt head is just in the middle of a larger mechanism, but I'm not sure. It's possible that the design changed year to year or engine to engine, again not sure.
you actually answered my question. thanks. i need to find the proper socket so that i can get some more pressure on it. its like a reversed torx shape
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like a torx head bolt, pretty standard, regular sockets will not fit right. Go to Harbor Freight, best place for that one-time tool.
phottomatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

update!!!! so the bolt head is called an "external torx" the size needed is a E20. i had to order a set to get the right size. i could only find smaller sizes in town. anyways, i was able to snug up the yoke and dude, the pop is gone. i cant thank the OP enough. i owe you a beer. and the steering feels tighter like a brand new car! i turned it about an 1/8 turn and drove it. it felt better and the pop was gone but still a slight noise like it wanted to pop so i came back and gave it another 1/8 turn. DONE!! no noise and the steering still returns to zero on its own. i can tell that if you were to turn it too much there would be too much resistance for the steering to correct its self. i cant thank you and this thread enough. that popping has been driving me CRAZY! i can now enjoy my lift and drive in peace. oh and by the way, theres not enough clearance to get the socket on the bolt all the way. what i did was loosen the two bolts holding the rack on and that allowed me to push the rack back just enough to get the socket on. it was really easy to do. just remember to tighten the rack back afterward
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Moose25
2008 WK 

Is this something that is pretty common if you lift? Should I be looking to do it after I install my OME?
[CENTER][FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Black"]OME HD : BFG MUD TERRAIN KM2's 285/70/17 : JK AEV PINTLERS 17" : K&N FIPK : MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER : AIRAID TBS: PW / RF MOD: HYPERTECH PROGRAMMED: THULE MOAB/SNOWBOARD/BIKE RACK[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER][LEFT][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][I]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]snowboard.dirt bike.wakeboard.backpack.hike.4x4.mountain bike.
ITS A JEEP THING[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT][CENTER][SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Silver"]SEMPER FIDELIS[/COLOR][/FONT] [/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Moose25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.