Thinking about Adding Front skid Plate WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Thinking about Adding Front skid Plate WK

Win a free set of 35" or 37" tires from Zone OffZone Offroad - Jeep Forum Promotion50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com

Unread 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Thinking about Adding Front skid Plate WK

Hey guys, Im thinking about adding a Front skid plate, To protect some The engine bay area from the beach sand and Dunes. I have a few questions....

How much does one of these weigh?

Is it really going to pull down on the OME MD springs??

And who makes these skid plates for our truck?

KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

I'm sure there are a few companies out there selling front skids for our jeeps. A reliable one would be 4XGuard, which i'm sure you're familiar with.

From their site, a 4XG Front Skid weighs 36lbs. I think you can even get the steel one or the aluminum still..

It won't pull down on the front suspension as much as people think, because 36 lbs isn't a lot and it is closer to the springs themselves, instead of something like a steel bullbar or bumper. Even if you have the MD. It won't be too bad at all, i wouldn't be concerned over the added weight. If it's an issue, take an angle grinder and cut fore to aft strips out of it to reduce weight and a custom look.

here is the link to their site, of course do some looking around see if you can find other fabricators: http://4xguard.com/grand-cherokee-20...-guard-10.html
And let me know if you find one for cheaper so i can sell mine
Unread 05-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Chirpz
Web Wheeler

2007 WK 

I have the factory skid under the engine and the 4xGuard front skid in front of that..... no problem with the suspension. I don't have the weights...but they are heavy.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

I'm gunna research some more I found a few places. But all were around the 275 range. Kinda think that is a tad high for some bent up aluminum. I'm kinda wonderin if iI could bend a sheet of aluminum myself in my shop as I am a tinknocker.
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
I'm gunna research some more I found a few places. But all were around the 275 range. Kinda think that is a tad high for some bent up aluminum. I'm kinda wonderin if iI could bend a sheet of aluminum myself in my shop as I am a tinknocker.
I barely have access to a decent welder, but have definitely considered making my own armor. I think it's easier than people realize, especially single-bend and cut sheets like front skids. Plus shape, design, and finish are so variable and can make for a very custom look. And all for a lot cheaper. I wish I would've. You should make your own! And post pictures 😁
Unread 05-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
SanDiegoDan

2007 WK 

Is the 4xguard front skid (or any other) compatible with my tow hooks? thanks
shackle-kit2.jpg

Unread 05-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
SanDiegoDan

2007 WK 

I just emailed 4xguard with the above question... I'll share if I learn anything interesting
Unread 05-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoDan View Post
Is the 4xguard front skid (or any other) compatible with my tow hooks? thanks
Unless I misread your question.. yes, the 4xg front skid plate won't affect what tow hooks you want to use at all. The bolts for the skid are nowhere near the bolts for the shackles.. any shackle that fits your jeep will fit with or without a front guard.
Unread 05-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoDan View Post
I just emailed 4xguard with the above question... I'll share if I learn anything interesting
Add on- here is mine, I have the 4xg front guard with the 4xg shackles, but as you can see, the shackles you choose will be unaffected by the front skid plate.

forumrunner_20150523_231235.jpg
Unread 05-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
SanDiegoDan

2007 WK 

ahh yes I see how the guard mounts now... thanks !!
jeep-3-4-1.jpg

Unread 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Thanks guys prob gunna go 4x but it is a nice lil penny for it.
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
japeart
2007 WK 

i have the aluminum steel armadillo front skid (they also do steel). its about half the weight of a steel one and covers from the front all the way to the back of the engine. quite happy with it. its about the same cost as the 4x guard but a better unit imo

http://thesteelarmadillo.com/index.p...&product_id=56
Black WK Club #156
japeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by japeart View Post
i have the aluminum steel armadillo front skid (they also do steel). its about half the weight of a steel one and covers from the front all the way to the back of the engine. quite happy with it. its about the same cost as the 4x guard but a better unit imo

http://thesteelarmadillo.com/index.p...&product_id=56
Does that plate cover the oil pan and transfer case as well? The two holes look like the drain holes in my stock oil pan/t case plate.. I've been looking for a one-piece armor plate that goes from the radiator to the oil pan.. If this is it, i will sell my 4XG immediately and get this one haha
Unread Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #14
ggrassmid

I also have TSA aluminum skid plate. It only covers from the lower rad support/mount to the back of the engine oil pan. They also sell a trans skid plate and a t-case skid plate for those that did not come equipped with the Jeep version. My CRD came with Jeep skid plates, so at this point I only wanted the added front coverage and will get the trans plate to cover that. Everything else is pretty well covered. I may opt for the 4xG belly plate instead of TSA trans plate though. I do like 4xG rock sliders with nerf bar.
JF Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #15
japeart
2007 WK 

Yeah it goes from the rad support to the cross member at the back of the engine. Doesnt cover the trans or tcase. Need other skids for those
Black WK Club #156
japeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.