Are they the same ESP and 4-Wheel Traction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Are they the same ESP and 4-Wheel Traction

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
richsei
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are they the same ESP and 4-Wheel Traction

I have a 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd with Quadra-TracII. I would like to know if ESP and 4-wheel traction control is the same thing and also can you change a QT-II to a QD???

Richard

richsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_esp.htm

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm

Quadra-Trac II
The Quadra-Trac II 4 x 4 system gives owners the benefit of the NV245 active transfer case and BTCS. The transfer case is the same one used in the Quadra-Drive II system. It takes input from a variety of sensors to determine tire slip at the earliest possible moment and take corrective action. The system also uses Throttle Anticipate sensing quick movement in throttle from a stop and it takes steps to maximize traction before tire slippage even occurs.

Torque is transferred to the individual wheels as needed by the BTCS to maintain traction in changing road conditions. When the system senses tire slip, it modulates brake pressure to the slipping wheel, which directs torque to the tires with the best traction.

Quadra-Trac II features an electronic shift mechanism for ease-of-use. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing behind another vehicle.

Quadra-Drive II
The Quadra-Drive II Jeep 4 x 4 system offers owners the ultimate in off-road capability. It combines the NV245 full-time transfer case with Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance. The system instantly detects tire slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to the tires with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will even anticipate low traction and adjust to proactively limit or eliminate slip

The heart of the system is the NV245 active transfer case. This transfer case includes a center differential coupled with an electronically controlled clutch pack, varying it from a completely open state to completely locked, and infinite possibilities in between. The 4-Low gear ratio is 2.72:1.

Quadra-Drive II features an electronic shift mechanism with a unique engagement lever. The lever is conveniently located on the shift console. Pulling the lever up engages 4-Low. The lever returns to a resting position after activation. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing vehicles, such as behind a motor home.

A key component in the Quadra-Drive II system is the ELSD an industry first application and the new benchmark for automatic traction differentials. The ELSD use electronically controlled clutch packs to automatically and instantly vary from slip to lock at each axle. This maximizes traction when needed without any of the on-road drawbacks normally associated with such a robust 4 x 4 system.

All components of the system work together, continually monitoring needs, to provide smooth and automatic application of the components for best-in-class tractive performance while improving the day-to-day on-road driving experience. For example, the ELSD releases the clutch packs in the front axle during turns to allow differentiation and prevent crow hop.

This site has a lot of info
http://www.wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Here's a video of ESP in action http://youtube.com/watch?v=NiZjeeMExY4
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
2008OverlandCRD
2008 WK 

It's a good video, but if you watch closely the ESP disabled vehicles are traveling slightly faster and the driver makes no attempt to correct the slide.

No doubt that ESP works and works well, but the video looks slightly biased in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like having ESP (no not extra special powers), but look closely at this video on when each vehicle passes each cone and when the vehicle starts sliding look at the way the tires are turned, definitely not into the skid.

I think it would be prohibitively expensive to add the ELSD's and any other related components. I really have no idea of the cost, but I doubt it would be worth it for the price.

Last edited by 2008OverlandCRD; 02-13-2008 at 02:22 AM..
2008OverlandCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
richsei
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info and the video link. I just hope its as good as they say the Jeep that is.. The snow gets deep out in Colorado at times..
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

I have played with my ESP a couple times on gravel and a couple times in snow, and it does a pretty good job of sorting things out. I don't know proper driving techniques, so the ESP is a good thing for someone like me
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
richsei
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm still trying to find out if ESP and 4-wheel traction control is the same thing ?
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsei View Post
I'm still trying to find out if ESP and 4-wheel traction control is the same thing ?
No they are not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_Control
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
richsei
2008 JK Wrangler 

is there a light on the dash for the ESP or how do I tell if I have it??
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

All WK's should have it I believe.

There's more about the system here.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.