Thermostat replacement direction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Thermostat replacement direction

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Wk1225
2008 WK 

Thermostat replacement direction

I took the thermostat off a 3.7 and forgot which way the thermostat is positions. Does the coil part go in or out of the engine? Because if it goes out it almost bottoms out on the housing

Wk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

The spring goes into the engine and the little bypass should be pointing up . I believe that should always be the case on any engine .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Very true!!!
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Wk1225
2008 WK 

Ok I had it right I just replaced the water pump and thermostat on my moms jeep and the next morning it started running like Crud and shut down we had it towed to the dealership and they think it's a burnt valve
Wk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk1225 View Post
Ok I had it right I just replaced the water pump and thermostat on my moms jeep and the next morning it started running like Crud and shut down we had it towed to the dealership and they think it's a burnt valve
Might have a air pocket? I had some bad ones in mine while replacing the entire coolant system. Once you figure out with the bleed valve its easy.
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk1225 View Post
Be wary of this. You just don't get a burned valve overnight. Bet it's something simple if it worked fine before you did the thermostat. DO NOT take them at their word. At least get a second and perhaps a third opinion before you do anything.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.