Theogriff15's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Theogriff15's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Theogriff15's Build Thread

So after months of endlessly reading different threads on the forum, I started to mod my 06 Laredo at the beginning of the 2012 summer. Nothing really to major until recently when I had the lift, tires and new suspension installed. Now, I know most of you guys on here install almost everything yourselves, but I am unfortunately not as mechanically/technically inclined, yet! So I have some of my stuff installed through a custom shop close by. But anyway I hope you guys like the jeep and I know the modding will never stop!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just want to say that up here in MA there aren't a lot of places to drive off the beaten path. So most of the time when I'm "off road" it's not on a trail or in the mountains or anything but I usually just go places in suburban areas that I'm not suppose to so I can get onto to dirt. Here are some stock pics.

Unread 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Stock-

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

One of the first things I did was remove all of the badges on the back of the jeep. I plasti-dipped them all but didn't really like it so I went with a little different approach. I saw a couple of guys put the "CHEROKEE" on the back but they were all plasti-dipped as well. So after having just the Jeep logo on for a while I decided to give the chrome CHEROKEE look a try. I nicked the paint near the K so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix that they'd be greatly appreciated.

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Next it was time for the Spyder LED tail lights. Now I didn't take pics of everything so I just went out and did so. Some things may be out of order, aka the lift may be seen in some pics where I'm pointing things out that happened before it was installed. I also went with the Cree back up LED's. (same pic as above but notice the taillights.
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

After researching the expanded sheet metal grill mod, I finally did it while on a trip to Maine. It wasn't to hard, but when I got back home I removed it all and plasti-dipped the metal black because the chrome it came in didn't look good. I found that the easiest way to secure the metal was just with zipties. An easy and cheap way to make a great mod. First pic is in the process of zip-tieing, second is original chrome, and third is plasti-dipped black.

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Next up was the side moldings. I just hated the thick Laredo side moldings and had to get rid of them. Now, just so everyone understands, I am not at all trying to make my rig into a wana-be limited. In this case I just hated the black and liked the chrome side moldings better. I just think it adds a little contrast to the jeep. For example, Oducks jeep is totally different, he has a grey one (i think haha) and the black contrasts beautifully and I love the way it looks. But with the midnight pearlcoat I had to give it some pop. After finding out the Justforjeeps.com's headquarters was 20 minutes from the house I purchased the hefty chrome side moldings, went and picked em up, and threw them on. Also did some stock flexing for later comparison.

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Next up was my plan for a lift. After talking to Kolak, and reasonably balancing out my budget, (I'm only 17 and work only in the summer,) we decided to go with the Daystar 2" kit and new Bilstein shocks/struts all around. So to accompany my new suspension, and my budget, I picked up four Treadwright Guard Dog M/T's in the 265/70/17 size. But before all of this stuff showed up and went in, I installed a set of four Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. Some pics of the spacers and after they went in:

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

So I then came across the info sheet that came with the jeep. I figured I take this time to give a little background info on how I got the jeep and a little info on it aswell. To start off, I work at a golf course about 10 miles from Boston, in Newton, MA. There is a garage right across the street that always had WK's in and out. I always liked the WK's, my dad had an 07 Laredo and now has an 08 Limited loaded with QTII. So one day my mom and I went over to test drive one they had. I loved it and it was the 26X Laredo package. I had never owned a car before and didn't even have my license yet. So fast forward like 2 months, I had just passed my license test and my dad and I were driving back to the course, (he works there as well, and has been there for over 30 years now! So we pulled in and I saw the jeep I had test driven sitting in the lot. I asked my dad if that was the one and he said ya it was but someone who worked at the club had bought it. I thought nothing of this and we went inside. He told me I could take his rig to school so I hopped in and was pulling out of the parking lot when I heard him whistling at me standing next to the blue jeep. Still I thought nothing of it and thought maybe I forgot something in the shop. I pulled up and all he said was, "how about you take yours instead." Most exciting moment of my life and after all the excitement he made me sign a 3 page contract with the rules and regulations of having my own rig.

So anyway I drove it around for 4 months totally stock. It was an '06 Laredo with 107,xxx miles on it, 1 previous owner, heated seats, leather interior, 6 disc cd, aftermarket viper remote start, 235.65/17 tires, fog lights, sun roof, boston acoustics sound system, and the QTI system. I really couldn't ask for more from my dad who was already putting me through private school (with a little help from me every year, part of the contract haha) but yea thats just a little info and heres the stock info sheet.
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

So now to the meat of the thread. The lift. I just had it installed Monday/Tuesday and like I said, I had it done at a shop because I have no experience and wanted everything to go smoothly. It ended up costing me about 250 which was cheap considering the guy gave me 50% off. I didn't mind, I knew I was going to have to pay and I'm just glad everything went smoothly and I think it looks great! So I went with the Daystar 2", bilstein shocks/struts, and the 265/70/17 gaurd dogs.

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Forgot to mention that I took care of the pinch weld mod too. Didn't really know what I was getting into at the time because I had never had any experience with cutting metal before but it went smoothly. I ended up using a wrench to bend the weld over instead of beating it over with a hammer. You get the same result just takes about 2 seconds for each bend and theres literally no paint damage at all. But to my surprise after getting the lift installed I saw that the guys at my shop put some sort of coating over the pinch welds. I think it may be bed liner but I'm not positive. No extra $$ though haha.
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

where did you get the build sheet for your Jeep? Btw, it looks real tough with the lift and tires.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ
where did you get the build sheet for your Jeep? Btw, it looks real tough with the lift and tires.
Thanks a lot man I appreciate it! And are you talking about the green bordered tan sheet with the info on it? Like the one in the windows?
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
oducks12
2005 WK 

Looks great man, thanks for the reference! Congrats on getting the lift and shocks / struts done, and the chrome and bule looks great. I had a shop quote me for labor before I did it and they said something around the order of $600. Sounds like you got a steal of a deal! If you havent taken care of the rear fender trim mod I would highly recommend it, takes only a couple of minutes and will save your tires. What's next on the mod list???
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12 View Post
Looks great man, thanks for the reference! Congrats on getting the lift and shocks / struts done, and the chrome and bule looks great. I had a shop quote me for labor before I did it and they said something around the order of $600. Sounds like you got a steal of a deal! If you havent taken care of the rear fender trim mod I would highly recommend it, takes only a couple of minutes and will save your tires. What's next on the mod list???
Yeah I was actually looking into that today. Seems pretty easy, people say its easier than the pinch weld which I found out wasn't hard. And let's see, mods, CB radio is probably the next thing I'm going to tackle. I'm pretty nervous about the wiring part of that though. Then deffinetly the rear fender trim, and then maybe some Hella's behind the grill? haha there are so many things to do its crazy. But thanks for the compliment man, took a risk with the chrome haha
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
DuffDaddy
2007 WK 

what core tires did the tires come with (ie i see some are bfg and others different brands) what did you get shipped?...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.