The_Otter's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > The_Otter's Build Thread

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
the_otter
2005 WK 

The_Otter's Build Thread

Well I figured I would start a build thread for my 2005 Grand Cherokee. The car is extremely clean, and I know its been taken care of for the last few years. It sits bone stock right now (except for a window tint), but I have a few mods in mind. It will be my daily driver and will spend a little time on the highway, so I don't want to get too carried away.

Planned Mods
  • Rough Country 2" lift
  • 1.5" Wheel spacers
  • 265/70/17 AT tires
  • Monroe Load Levelers in rear if necessary
  • After market Stereo - will require purchase of navigation bezel in order to fit double din stereo.
  • Nice components / amplifier / subwoofer (the sub is up for debate as I don't want to give up a lot of storage space.
  • Blacked out wheels and jeep emblems
  • Interior LED lighting
  • Maybe some offroad lights on the front and some backup lights on the rear

That's all for now. I will post pics of my progress.

the_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
the_otter
2005 WK 

First step was to install the Rough Country 2" lift and the 1.5" wheel spacers. Wow the lower strut bolt is an evil evil thing. It took me three solid days of soaking them before they would budge. Lots of sweat, air tools, pounding, etc.

Here of pics of the final product. I ended up going with 265/65/17s. They are slightly smaller but give me zero rub. I just wasn't feeling the pinch weld mod in order to go with the 265/70/17s. I chose the Hankook DynaPro ATM's as lots of guys here use them and are very pleased.

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
the_otter
2005 WK 

When I got the car I had the dreaded climate control backlight problem. The original bulbs were toast. I followed this thread and this youtube video to help me through the process of fixing it. It was my first time soldering and it was a success.

Link to HVAC bulb replacement

After searching ebay and calling junkyards for a month, I finally gave up on finding a cheap navigation bezel and bought one off amazon. I saved about $70 from what the dealership wanted. Here is a pic of the bezel and the part number. It matches perfectly. It's going to take a little time to save some cash for the rest of the audio system, but this is a good start.

Last edited by the_otter; 07-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: more pics
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
the_otter
2005 WK 

I've been debating on blacked out wheels vs stock wheels vs new wheels. I decided to use some plastidip to paint my stock wheels black for a while and see if I like it. Plastidip is the easiest thing I have ever done. There are tons of videos and guides for it. I think I love the black stock wheels, so when it starts to peel or chip I may peel off the plastidip, sand them and paint them. Still keeping an eye out for some nice reasonably priced aftermarket wheels. In the mean time here are some pics of the wheels plastidipped.

Here is how she sits now. I've decided on the longer F150 MLL's hope to order them first week of August.

Last edited by the_otter; 07-27-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Man this looks very clean!! Keep up the good work can't wait to see what double din you go with and your whole audio setup man. If you're interested in some forward facing off road lights check out Aspen Creek Off Road and Seward Off Road Lighting. Aspen makes some hood mounts for lights and seward is like a cheaper rigid industries, good luck!
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
emtff57
2007 WK 

Love the color man! It's not a deep red like I'm used to seeing, looks more like a fire engine red. Awesome!!! Let me know how the 265/65's work for you. I'm installing my RC lift today with a few guys and will be doing tires, struts, and LL's soon as well but I agree with refraining from the pinch weld if it's not necessary.
emtff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_otter View Post
I've been debating on blacked out wheels vs stock wheels vs new wheels. I decided to use some plastidip to paint my stock wheels black for a while and see if I like it. Plastidip is the easiest thing I have ever done. There are tons of videos and guides for it. I think I love the black stock wheels, so when it starts to peel or chip I may peel off the plastidip, sand them and paint them. Still keeping an eye out for some nice reasonably priced aftermarket wheels. In the mean time here are some pics of the wheels plastidipped.
Where are the pics?

I've wondered how they'd look on my WK. Mine is the darker Red Rock Chrystal but still - love the red WK!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
the_otter
2005 WK 

Sorry pics added.

Unread 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

That looks pretty awesome. Very nice!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
the_otter
2005 WK 

Thanks, I debated between flat and gloss. After going with flat I think it provides a real nice contrast. I'm curious how long it will hold up before peeling.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.