Test Driving 2008 WK...What else do I need to know? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Test Driving 2008 WK...What else do I need to know?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29
Come on man...$8000 for a swirl motor is like someone telling you they will paint your house for $100,000 or put a new roof on for $250,000...,you would look at them like they are idiots. Sell it to someone who will appreciate it....what are you looking to buy to replace it?
All depends on the house.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...quote-1715418/

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk
That's Canadian prices, everything is way over priced this side of the border. Here, $125 for a fuel filter, I drive 30 min to Minnesota and pick up one for $25, and enjoy cheap diesel prices while I'm there.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
wojomoto
2007 WK 

I originally bought the Jeep to go back and forth to my cabin in northern Michigan (500 miles round trip) during the winter months. I had a VW Jetta TDI for the summer so I was really into the diesel stuff. I ended up moving "up north" so I sold the TDI and really don't need the Jeep CRD since I don't do the long drives any more. I have to say that as a winter highway cruiser, the Jeep GC CRD with QD2 is the best machine out there. Consistently 24mpg and can plow through a foot of snow with no issues. Pulled out many Yukons, Denali, Explorers and such stuck on our road each weekend. I guess if I were to buy a used CRD the most important thing to do would be strip it of the particulate filter, eliminate the swirl motor (new tune) and go through the transmission/ QD2 system and make any recommended repairs or maintenance. The biggest issue is to find someone to do this since it is technically illegal to mess with the emissions control on any car. I live in a small town now and as stated before I had a local mechanic change the serpentine belt and 10,000 miles later it shredded causing $1200 in damage. Maybe in a large market there are move capable non-dealership mechanics available to do this work.
To answer Scootr29 about a replacement for the CRD, I probably will go back to a gas motor since the new direct injection technology is efficient and it really doesn't make sense to spend the additional 10% on diesel fuel. When you factor in the higher maintenance cost of a diesel ($150 for a CRD oil change since only a MB certified oil can be used) and urea injection it really makes the new diesel engines unappealing.
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
revitup

it's a really tough call, they are a great vehicle, but in Canada, Burlington/Toronto an oil change is $280 and every 10K through in some filters etc and you are looking at $3,000 per 100 Klm just for oil changes and now about those codes....back to the dealership evey couple of months to reset or whateve each OBD hook-up is $100, glow plugs and DPF replacement.

And now last Tuesday the swirl valve light goes on we get an approximate verbal ball park price of $8K, I have called around and gotton two other written quotes for $6K. Four days latter no car we are still waiting for a response from the ensurance company. However, the more you know, I think the less you want to do this repair. It may cause more problems that it is worth.

And then there is, as some one just said above, if Jeep, Chrysler, and Mercedes will not support this engine then why should we?

I've been looking around, maybe the Land Rover Sport, but there is nothing I like better, just love that diesel growl....so just grin and bear it I guess and go with the ECO tune.
revitup is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.