Test Driving 2008 WK...What else do I need to know? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Test Driving 2008 WK...What else do I need to know?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Nilkc

Test Driving 2008 WK...What else do I need to know?

Looking at a 2008 Overland CRD with 106K miles and was wondering if there is anything specific I should look for in the way of problems and servicing that should have been done. Is there anything like the timing belt change in the Liberty CRD I should be looking for? Things like that. I am going to get it checked out at a different jeep service center.

I have read the sticky and know to,

1. Check all electronics. If it has a switch or button, check it and make sure it lights up.
2. Check for a leaking moonroof.
3. Check all gears, the shift lock.
4. Drive with the 4x4 engaged and check for binding. Not sure about finding a gravel road though.
5. Check the turbo inlet seal and oil buildup in the turbo.

Have I missed anything?

Here is what I am going to look at.

http://www.truworthauto.com/vehicle/1J8HR68M38C191824

Nilkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

The CRD doesn't have an external timing belt. I asked to have it replaced on my last visit to the dealer at 125,000 miles and they said it would be hundreds of dollars because they had to disassemble so many parts to reach it and said it isn't designed to be replace regularly like your traditional timing belt that takes 15 minutes.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

Shift from R to D, if there is a clunk it's the front diff. bushing.
Also take a fast tight right turn, if there are knocks it may be a half shaft.
IlanLCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Nilkc

Took a look at it today and got it inspected. Passenger side window is a little finicky going up. Oil leak underneath. Couldn't find out if it was from the engine or differential, but classified it as not a bad leak, just a leak. The other thing that really concerned me was that it wouldn't go into 4 low. When I tried it would just flash "Service 4wd system". Dealership couldn't get it to go into 4 low either.

Are there any common oil leaks with these engines? Also any ideas on the 4 low?
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

oil leak is probably from the turbo inlet seal...mine leaked all the way to the bottom aswell
also could come out the oil filler cap

service 4WD could be cause if they flashed that jeep for the recall but it was the old flash so ppl get that message when shifting to 4low
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilkc View Post
Took a look at it today and got it inspected. Passenger side window is a little finicky going up. Oil leak underneath. Couldn't find out if it was from the engine or differential, but classified it as not a bad leak, just a leak. The other thing that really concerned me was that it wouldn't go into 4 low. When I tried it would just flash "Service 4wd system". Dealership couldn't get it to go into 4 low either.

Are there any common oil leaks with these engines? Also any ideas on the 4 low?
Ask them if they flashed for the recent Jeep campaign...if so there is the issue with the 4wdLO

Oil leak could be the air intake pipe going into the turbo...check and see if the seal is orange or black...you may need to take a rag to the seal.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Nilkc

They said that they would fix everything if I was determined to buy. Going to tell them that if the oil was coming from the turbo inlet to go ahead and replace the swirl motor as I don't know how bad that has gotten. Should I see if I could get the turbo changed as well? Read one post where this problem took that out as well.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilkc View Post
They said that they would fix everything if I was determined to buy. Going to tell them that if the oil was coming from the turbo inlet to go ahead and replace the swirl motor as I don't know how bad that has gotten. Should I see if I could get the turbo changed as well? Read one post where this problem took that out as well.
Be really careful on having the swirl motor changed out....especially by a Jeep dealer. Depending on who is doing it and what they break in the process it could get really expensive real fast. In my honest opinion it would be better to leave it alone if there are no codes. Get the GDE tune and it will eliminate the swirl motor. Turbos are pretty bullet proof...have not heard of many failures at all.

Just my opinion.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

wow ... if they replace the swirl motor you're either paying them too much.. or the vehicle had some extended special warentee ... think that is at least 3k there. Go for that or knock the 17k price.
See if you can warentee the transmission.

I have almost the same jeep .. same colors and everything..just not the rear entertainment system and way less miles.

That is a nice Jeep.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I've heard numerous stories of people having swirl motors replaced at the dealership and having to go back multiple times due to the dealership breaking things in the process.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
wojomoto
2007 WK 

I wouldn't buy it. The 3.0 CRD was an experiment and it didn't work. It was Daimler technology so the new Jeep company doesn't stand behind the engine nor will MB. I should have known better when Jeep would only give a 5 yr on the motor when they were giving 7 yr or even unlimited on the gas motors. Unless you are an expert mechanic don't buy this car.
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Crikey more people dissing the crd as an experiment and a failed one at that despite it having over 100, 000 on the clock. Experimental for the us perhaps but all but mandatory for the rest of the world. Get a decent mechanic and knowledge from this forum which had many work arounds or fixes mostly pretty cheap. The engine is basically solid and is basically a commercial mb engine.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto
I wouldn't buy it. The 3.0 CRD was an experiment and it didn't work. It was Daimler technology so the new Jeep company doesn't stand behind the engine nor will MB. I should have known better when Jeep would only give a 5 yr on the motor when they were giving 7 yr or even unlimited on the gas motors. Unless you are an expert mechanic don't buy this car.
Have you sold yours yet...if not you should as you obviously don't like it.
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
wojomoto
2007 WK 

Sorry for being so hard on the CRD but the reality is it is a very rare car with only one or two sold per dealership. There are very few aftermarket parts available and even something as simple as changing the serpentine belt by a non dealer mechanic caused $1200 damage to my motor. When you read these posts you hear about $8000 swirl motor repairs and dealers damaging the manifolds, etc. This car is not for everyone and yes I will be selling mine soon. Today was another $120 repair to get rid of the "Service 4 wheel drive" light that happened after the recall. The dealer said it was moisture in the transfer case that caused it. Whatever they did worked and the light is off for now....
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto
Sorry for being so hard on the CRD but the reality is it is a very rare car with only one or two sold per dealership. There are very few aftermarket parts available and even something as simple as changing the serpentine belt by a non dealer mechanic caused $1200 damage to my motor. When you read these posts you hear about $8000 swirl motor repairs and dealers damaging the manifolds, etc. This car is not for everyone and yes I will be selling mine soon. Today was another $120 repair to get rid of the "Service 4 wheel drive" light that happened after the recall. The dealer said it was moisture in the transfer case that caused it. Whatever they did worked and the light is off for now....
Come on man...$8000 for a swirl motor is like someone telling you they will paint your house for $100,000 or put a new roof on for $250,000...,you would look at them like they are idiots.

Sell it to someone who will appreciate it....what are you looking to buy to replace it?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.