Tell me what you don't like about your XK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tell me what you don't like about your XK

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
SYCOHEMI

Last November, I was off roading over a weekend trip in the Mojave Desert with my wife's Cayenne S.

During a break, I noticed that both passenger side tires had what looked like a "tumor." The sidewalls had been compromised and both tires had big bumps on the sidewalls of the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrains.

No full size spare on that vehicle, just a collapsible donut. We tried to change the tire off road, and it was extremely difficult. At one point the car almost slipped out from the jack due to the uneven ground and poor stability. We decided to drive back to the highway to rotate the front passenger tire to the opposite rear, so in the event of a blow out, it would occur on a rear tire.

In any event, when you are off road and far from services, the last thing you want to rely on is one of those little wheels and tires.

I am quite happy that the Commander comes with a full size spare. I just wish it was mounted on the rear, or maybe the top if I had a basket, to make access easier. Of course, then the lift gate would weigh a ton.

Todd - BTW, you can remove the third row seats. 4 bolts and a friend to help lift it out and 15 minutes is all you need. I did it, and life is good. Easier to fit more stuff. See thread titled "Third Row Seat Removal."

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #17
Todd Abbott

I read your post on the third seat removal, so I know it can be done- I guess what I was saying was it would be nice to have more second row leg room as it will see far more use than the third row in my truck, maybe a 5 passenger standard, 7 optional with more leg room and an available " heavy duty " liner/cargo bin for storage, something lockable like Honda's truck has, just a thought.
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #18
SYCOHEMI

Yes, I agree completely Todd. I hear that our second row is more spacious than a GC, but primarily due to the recline feature. I also wish that it was bigger.

A lockable cargo bin would be terrific. It's amazing that none of the SUV's that I know of, have something like that. And we don't even have an option of a cargo cover...Which should be the bare minimum to at least hide your stuff. I do like the factory window tint, dark enough that someone has to really try to look inside, particularly at night.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Todd Abbott

I agree with you on the cargo cover, I wish I had it as well, but you'd need two sets of mounts for it, 3rd row up and down, as for the cargo locker I thought it would be a cool replacement for the third row seat, I sure would use it alot more than the third row.
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #20
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure you'll see some nice refinements/ additions made to the Commander over the next several years. I'm interested in one to replace my wife's '04 Liberty (in a couple of years). With my wife's Liberty, it was the third year of production and it's got some nice additions to it that the first year ('02) didn't have.

I can't wait to drive a Commander with a HEMI. If I test drove one, I know I'd want one now!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #21
Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
He didn't really say he wanted a donut for his Jeep, did he? Wow, these Commander guys are wierd
LOL! I was just looking at options they could have used to lower the back floor pan. If the commander was designed to accommodate a mini spare only, it would have allowed a minimum 4" drop in floor height.
I liked the set-up of my old '98 Grand Cherokee. Spare was inside and I always kept it in the garage.
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #22
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti
LOL! I was just looking at options they could have used to lower the back floor pan. If the commander was designed to accommodate a mini spare only, it would have allowed a minimum 4" drop in floor height.
I liked the set-up of my old '98 Grand Cherokee. Spare was inside and I always kept it in the garage.
Well since you can't use a donut for an AWD vehicle you should be glad Jeep hands out full size spares as standard equipment! Oh, and keeping you spare in the garage ain't gonna do you much good when you get a flat

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #23
Andretti

There are full size mini spares with the same outside diameter. No problem with 4x4 diffs.
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.