Tech write ups/ DIY write ups - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tech write ups/ DIY write ups

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
IowaJeepNewbie
2005 WK 

Tech write ups/ DIY write ups

I am going to make this a stickie, HOWEVER this thread is for links ONLY. NO CHIT CHAT! Refer questions to private messages, build threads, or WK General Discussion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I am hoping I can help out by making this thread for writes ups from tech write ups to DIY. If you have questions about the write up or DIY use that thread to ask. If you find one you like to have on this list ADD IT. This is just the start more to come

Here is a link to a thread if you want to talk about things in this thread like we need to add but you cant find or it shouldnt be here lol

HERE

You can find alot of great Jeeps here with alot of great info in the members build threads

WK/XK Build Threads List

WK Maintenance information and schedules

WK Maintenance information and schedules

Engine Work

Hemi spark plug change write-up

WK engine oil and filter Change

Throttle body cleaning

CRD maintenance items: Serpentine belt, diff fluid, fuel filter, CCV plug information

WK engine oil and filter Change

PCV Valve of 05 3.7L WK with Picture DIY

how to replace spark plugs on a 3.7l v6 WK

Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD

2005 Transmission cooler line leak (Link 2 Post #6)

2005 WK Limited 4.7 Oil Change

Miscellaneous

Grand Cherokee CRD - Transmission Fluid Change

Gas Transmission Fluid change

Rear Brakes

In-Dash Aux Input

Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor

the (?) HVAC/switch lighting thread

Rear seat cup holder replacement

How To Change Front Struts and Rear shock on a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Red WK Club #31, Daystar 2" BB lift with bilstein struts. Rigid LED Dually

Last edited by IowaJeepNewbie; 02-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Updated a few links and added a few more
IowaJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
IowaJeepNewbie
2005 WK 

I will put the video ones I find here....

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Red WK Club #31, Daystar 2" BB lift with bilstein struts. Rigid LED Dually
IowaJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I'll throw a couple in the list. I'm not savvy enough to shorten the clicky links titles very fast but here's some:

PCV Valve on 4.7:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/p...17/?highlight=

Torqueing upper strut and center bolts post lift - cheater method:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post12910826

Communications - CB install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13408161
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13442756

Rear fender roll:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13428526

Pinch weld cut&fold:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13436206

Drain/Refill rear diff w/ cover swap:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13521841

Sunroof drains?:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13707344

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
jaje
2007 WK 

Stillen Brake Upgrade: http://rennsportkc.com/jeep-grand-ch...e-rennsportkc/
Bilstein Strut Upgrade and Alternator Replacement CRD: http://rennsportkc.com/jeep-grand-cherokee-crd-work/
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Jaashua
2005 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/l...moval-1490385/

My write up for headliner watermark removal.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

DIY REMOTE START INSTALL

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...iteup-1444890/
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Here's a few of mine:

Omelet's LED Rock Lights

Omelet's Rear Fender Mod!

Omelet's Headlamp Project!

Omelet's Hidden Winch Build

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Here's my install of a Mygig RER: MyGig RER Installation Also important to note is that a MyGig RHR Low Speed (the model upgrade of the RER) will also work in this installation as well
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
gemiller
2008 WK 

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...ement-1299567/

Should probably be on the top list.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

Expanded Sheet Grille Mod

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/e...e-mod-1273464/
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
gamma500
2005 WK 

2005 4.7 L JGC waterpump DIY

Sorry no pictures but thought I might lend some help to this DIY.

My waterpump started a small leak after 7 years/55K miles. Got AutoZone replacement with plastic impeller for $47.00, gasket included, Made in China. RockAuto has similar and also one with metal impeller.

1- Remove underneath splash pan. Drain antifreeze via stopcock(clockwise looking forward) on lower,DR side of radiator. This plastic valve can stick and forcing it will cause breakage..if it won't turn more than 180 degrees easily, go to removing lower radiator hose instead which needs removal anyway. remove radiator cap to help drain process. Have catch basin to catch, reuse coolant.

2-Loosen 4 bolts (1/2") on fan blade to clutch, do not remove yet.

3-Remove fan clutch: you need a 32MM open wrench or large adjustable wrench in my case. Stabilize the black pump pulley so you can loosen the large nut (loosen is counterclockwise looking from ft.). They make flimsy specialty tools for this. I used a magneto pin holder vice grip from 20 years ago but a way I have used before is to take a length of chain and attach to face of pulley via one of the 4 holes in it and attach other end of chain to lower suspension piece so the pulley is fixed as you apply the wrench to nut. Use PBlaster or Kroil to nut and soak..mine came off incredibly easily.

4- Take off fan bolts, slip fan off clutch, remove clutch and lay clutch vertically aside, not flat per Manual warning..

5- I removed the fan shroud, actually dropped it down so pump accessed. You will find it easier to maneuver shroud if lower radiator hose is off..I used vicegrips to loosen tension clamps, lubed hose so they slipped better. Wedge a small screwdriver under lip of hose to break seal, don't get too rough, and squirt some PBlaster up there. Note which end of hose goes where for latter. Position catch basin under hose to collect antifreeze. Remove the 10mm shroud bolts at top sides and lower sides (these 2 are about 6 inches up from bootom of shroud). Disconnect the electric fan grey connector by pushing down on tab/pulling. Wiggle the shroud towards the bottom which necessitates getting the power steering rubber lines/electrical wires(on lt.) out of the way. You should now have a full view of the waterpump area.

6-Mark direction of serpentine belt , rotates lt. to rt. from ft. of car.

7-Loosen belt tensioner (farther left lt. small pulley via its center bolt, turningto lt.) 14mm? Slip off belt from pulleys after drawing diagram of how they go back.

8. Remove inner rt. tensioner pulley so waterpump bolts under it can be accessed.

9- Loosen all 8 of the pump bolts and have piece of cardboard with holes in it positioned to show bolt sites since they are different lengths. Remove bolts, position catch basin below pump and give a knock with rubber hammer, don't pry with metal object which might score mating surfaces. Mine came off with minor tap and gush of coolant.

{{ My leaking area was from the peripheral mounting gasket, not a failure of the bearing seal which explains why no coolant from "weep hole"}}.

10- Clean mating surface with ScotchBrite or equivalent, dry as best as can.
Clean mounting bolt threads. I noted the longer bolts had corrosion on their distal ends like they protruded into a water gallery so I prepped them with some RTV before reinstallation, just a dab at those areas. Short bolts were new looking.

11- Applied thin layer of RTV (blue GasketMaker Permatex) to new gasket and let it set up for 10 minutes..go light here, some feel this isn't necessary but my original gasket obviously shrank and failed.

12. Mount new pump with bolts in correct holes, finger tightening all 8. Torque to 43 ft/lbs in a crisscross pattern making sure pump is flush to surface and not cocked. Spin pump pulley to make sure it is free, not binding.

13- Replace inner tensioner pulley...45 ft/lbs torque

14-Replace serpentine belt after checking positioned in all pulley grooves, with tensioner pulley moved to rt.

15. Move fan shroud back up and position the lower tabs in recessed slot, put back those 10mm bolts. Finger tighten top 10mm bolts, reconnect fan electrical connector, replace lower radiator hose and replace tension clamps in same positions. I clamped these with vicegrips then turned down the adjusting knob so they closed the clamp even more while attached and position in original, right near end of hose, positions. Tighten the fan shroud 4 10mm bolts snuggly.

16- Place fan blade (marked on blade which way is "Ft.") on clutch, and place clutch 32mm nut onto new pump pulley and tighten a few threads. Then finger tighten the 4 fan blade bolts onto clutch. Tighten 32mm nut snuggly, I used blue thread locker. Tighten fan blade bolts fully now.

17- Close radiator petcock if still open, start filling with HOAT coolant via radiator cap opening watching as air bubbles gurgle up and eventually you can't fill anymore without overflow. Leave funnel in opening, start Jeep, run her up some ramps a bit or curb so front end is higher than rear. As Jeep starts coolant in radiator neck will start going down. Check for leaks..none, right!! Let Jeep idle and start warming up so thermostat opens, loosen the bleeder NPT plug on rt. side of engine..follow the rt. radiator hose backwards to its casting attachment and the bleeder is there. You'll need the correct metric hex socket or you might get lucky and loosen with the correct metric bolt head being inserted and using a vicegrip on the shaft. Remove bleeder plug almost completely so it can wobble, place rag around area to catch coolant, let Jeep warm up (takes a while) adding coolant to radiator neck as level drops, and watch for bleeder to start spurting out mostly air and than airfree coolant at which point you tighten down the bleeder plug. Top off radiator neck, replace radiator cap. Fill overflow tank to "Low" marker and take a test ride checking that Temp Guage OK..should be a bit to the left of midline. Come home, turn off, let her cool off and adjust overflow tank level as needed, usually will have gone down and need refilling to midway point between H/L. Again check underneath for leaks. Replace splash pan.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
DRCracker
2006 WK 

Lower Grill Expanded Metal Insert DIY

Here's my lower grill insert build;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/l...nsert-1548857/

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
LifeOnABoard
2008 WK 

3.0 CRD VNT Turbo actuator disassembly instructions

I don't have a direct source for replacement motors or gears.

Tools required: A milling machine and a small selection of end mills. Philips and flat head screw drivers. A punch set and small hammer.

Steps:
1. Pop off clips holding the black case to the gear box. Split open.
2. Mill out the pressed in cap covering the screw that holds the motor in place with a 5/16" end mill.
3. Remove the screw.
4. Do your best to remove the leaf spring holding the motor in without damaging anything.
5. Remove motor.
6. Eyeball a clearance hole for punching out the pin that keeps the worm gear in place. Mill the clearance hole with a 3/16" end mill.
7. Punch out pin, remove gear.
8. Re-assembly is reverse of disassembly.

On the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the process of removing the actuator, rebuilding it and re-installing it takes 2 - 3 hours.

I have read that the dealer recalibrates the actuator to the vehicle when a new one is installed. Although I technically have the original unit back in place, I still plan on taking it to the dealer as the gear stripped for a reason. Whether they are competent enough to understand what I'm asking is to be determined. This is an ECU function. Actuator rebuilding shops can't do this for you.

ONE LAST NOTE: I have flip flopped on this matter and it's really just a small curiosity. I'm making one last statement about this. It appears that the gear stripped in the IDLE/PRESSURE RELIEF end of the lever's rotation.

PN: PPA-CF30 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphthalamide
LifeOnABoard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
DRCracker
2006 WK 

Here's my procedure for changing ignition electrical switch;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2.../#post15884037

TC
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
DRCracker
2006 WK 

Cabin Air Filter Kit Install on 2006 WK

Cabin Air Filter Kit Install

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c.../#post16000057

TC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.