Take-off Hesitation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Take-off Hesitation

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
JPM
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take-off Hesitation

Hi -

My new GC Ltd 4x4 hesitates upon hitting the accelarator. Is it possible to "turn off" that early hesitation? I'd like to hit the gas, and GO!

Thanks,
JPM

[U]Past: [/U]
1980 CJ-5 4cyl manual with side-ride spare tire (stock)
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
s3eblue
2007 WK 

Hi JPM, I think what your describing is the hesitation that you get with the electronic throttle, unfortunately I don't think there's a fix for it.
s3eblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
garsarno

Isn't this drive by wire?
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
s3eblue
2007 WK 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
rkoz1
2007 WK 

Is the '07 with 4.7 drive-by-wire?
rkoz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
s3eblue
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoz1 View Post
Is the '07 with 4.7 drive-by-wire?
Electronic throttle control yes.
Unread 04-01-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

My wifes CRD has this hesitation as well, I have found that I am hitting the pedal earlier than normal to compensate. Not a favourite practice with the wife!

After time you do get used to it and I think you automatically start to adjust the timming of pedal pushing to allow for the take off. What I find hard to adjust to is when you are crusing on light to no pedal when you go to put the foot back on it feels dead for a few seconds
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I think I remember a process for possibly fixing this, but I can't find the info online. If I remember correctly, it's turn the ignition key to the on position and pump the pedal three times slowly. At the last pump hold the pedal at the floor for a couple of seconds. I could be way off on this though.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

I have the same problem with my 07 CRD and am glad to know it is not just my car. I asked the dealer about it and they looked at me like I was crazy. It always seems like the car "falls asleep" when you are coasting along and then when you go to hit the pedal, it takes a few seconds to wake up and then takes off like a bullet. Definately scary if you are not expecting it and need to get out of the way fast. I wonder if there is ever going to be any fix to this? My job involves a lot of travel and I drive a rental car at least once a week - I have become so conditioned to waiting for my Jeep to get going that I always put the rental car to the floor earlier than I should and almost end up in someone's trunk.
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
s3eblue
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple707 View Post
I have become so conditioned to waiting for my Jeep to get going that I always put the rental car to the floor earlier than I should and almost end up in someone's trunk.
It's exactly the same for me. The hesitation you feel with the CRD is not just with the throttle though it's also turbo lag, it scared the living crap out of me the first time I experienced it. Nothing like the good ol throttle cable
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Spano1
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
I think I remember a process for possibly fixing this, but I can't find the info online. If I remember correctly, it's turn the ignition key to the on position and pump the pedal three times slowly. At the last pump hold the pedal at the floor for a couple of seconds. I could be way off on this though.
Anyone else know more details about this method?
Spano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spano1 View Post
Anyone else know more details about this method?
I can't find anything else definitive, I think I read that process originally here as part of the discussion in this thread. I actually gave you the wrong info on that too. Here's what he originally wrote:
Quote:
What you need to do is turn the key to on but do not start the car. when all chimes go away add pressure to the gas pedal til it is to the floor. Then release and turn key to off. Should at the next start raise rpms to 800 or so and heard that it will improve the hesitation some.
There's also mention of a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the Throttle Body in that thread, but I can't find any record of that either. There's still some debate too as to if this problem is actually a "problem" or part of the vehicle design.

Sorry I can't give you a clear answer on this.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

When I want to "take off and go" I just power brake it a tad.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
sost1sg
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've found that if you turn off the ESC you get more immediate throttle response. The only thing is that you have to do this every time you start it up.
sost1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

You can also hit 'tow haul'...but power braking does the same thing. You can also do several rapid accelerations and your Jeep will learn to some extent.
The wireless accelerator is what it is.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.