Tail Lights/Signal problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tail Lights/Signal problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
martinipro

Tail Lights/Signal problems

I am having some problem with my tail lights.

My Blinkers, Reverse, and Brake lights work as long as the Light Switch is in the "OFF" position.
When I turn the headlights on, my blinkers, reverse, and brake lights all stop working. Except the top middle break light and the license plate light (those still work even when the headlights are on).

I don't think think this would be fuse/relay related but if it can be, which fuses and relays should I be checking?
Any ideas?

martinipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

Maybe the multi-function switch on the steering column
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Nandino58
2007 WK 

Just developed the same problem on one side, took apart my tail lights switched over sockets and learned that was the problem. Bad news is not one of the auto stores carries it, had to take it to the dealer and a three day wait. Found it online but with shipping would cost near 35$ compared to 12$ at the dealer. It's the tail light turn signal/ brake socket. From my searches it's a common problem but the parts dealer says he has rarely ordered them.
On the attached pic it's part #5
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...8004162AA.html
image.jpg  
Nandino58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How did you know that was the problem? I see that you switched bulbs and such.
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ground issue. Likely a little fiddling with the contacts and/or cleaning everything would take care of it...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.