Tail Lights/Signal problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tail Lights/Signal problems

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
martinipro

Tail Lights/Signal problems

I am having some problem with my tail lights.

My Blinkers, Reverse, and Brake lights work as long as the Light Switch is in the "OFF" position.
When I turn the headlights on, my blinkers, reverse, and brake lights all stop working. Except the top middle break light and the license plate light (those still work even when the headlights are on).

I don't think think this would be fuse/relay related but if it can be, which fuses and relays should I be checking?
Any ideas?

martinipro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

Maybe the multi-function switch on the steering column
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Nandino58
2007 WK 

Just developed the same problem on one side, took apart my tail lights switched over sockets and learned that was the problem. Bad news is not one of the auto stores carries it, had to take it to the dealer and a three day wait. Found it online but with shipping would cost near 35$ compared to 12$ at the dealer. It's the tail light turn signal/ brake socket. From my searches it's a common problem but the parts dealer says he has rarely ordered them.
On the attached pic it's part #5
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...8004162AA.html
image.jpg  
Nandino58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How did you know that was the problem? I see that you switched bulbs and such.
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ground issue. Likely a little fiddling with the contacts and/or cleaning everything would take care of it...
Unread 05-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
crotzo80
1983 CJ8 

Caulk04,

I think you're incorrect with this advise as I tried this. I took it a step further and ordered a replacement socket from Rock Auto and got a socket that was not the right one… in fact, for some reason all the regular parts dealers, auto zone, advance auto show the same incorrect part as the replacement tail lamp socket from Rock Auto. Must be a conspiracy somewhere… Regardless, I don't see this being a ground issue, I have worked over the contacts and to no avail.

Unfortunately I'll be heading to the stealership tomorrow for part number 68004162AA that is listed on Mopar's parts website and hope that its the right part. Wish me luck!

Sure seems like a control issue, like a fail circuit or something like that, still searching for a solution, lets hope its the sockets. I'll be sure to report back my findings.
crotzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

crotzo80,
Any update on this?
My daughter has an '06 Grand Cherokee (sorry guys, I had a '93 ZJ back in the day, but I am little out of touch with the newer models, so I may misstep on terminology) and she is having brake light issues. I plan to see her tomorrow to help diagnose the problem..the last time I saw her and the vehicle I was wearing a suit and no tools, so no chance to dig into the problem, and every 20-something friend she has near her is clueless.

Trying to do a little research and figure out if this is a socket/wiring/bulb issue.

If I recall, the '06 has two lights on each side...one is turn signal, and one is brake light. I think her turn signals work OK, but at least one brake light was out.. Over the phone 100 miles away, I had her friend help her swap bulbs around, but I think the problem persisted.

Will have physical access to the vehicle tomorrow to diagnose further.

Thanks.
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

change bulbs
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Birdfird
2005 WK 

I had the same problem with my 07 only on one side. Thinking it couldn't be the bulb, since it worked when the headlights were not on, I ordered the connecter. Just before changing the connector, just for cuz, I swapped bulbs... problem swapped. Just a bulb the whole time. It's 5 bucks for a 2 pack at autozone. Worth a try.
Birdfird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned, we'd checked & replaced/swapped bulbs prior since I figured everyone would do that before getting on a forum.

The detailed diagnosis: this WK had no tail lights on left, and no brakes lights at all. Back-up lights & turn signals worked. To confirm bulbs were not the issue, I pulled out the meter and checked all bulbs tonight before proceeding further.

Since I had the assemblies out to check the bulbs, I swapped light assemblies, and got the same results. What tipped me to start checking fuses was the LED 3rd brake light was out also, and I noticed that is powered by the left light plug harness since it has two extra wires the right side does not have.

It turns out the 15amp Brake light fuse and 10amp left tail light fuse under the hood were both blown, and as far as I can tell the left tail light fuse also runs the tag lights, as they magically worked too after a fuse change.. I am glad it wasn't a brake light switch on the pedal or a wiring problem.

Edit - Problem solved for now. I know I was being a bit snippy about the bulbs, but I do thank you all for the replies & suggestions...these community forums make us all smarter about our 'stuff', and you can't tell someone's skill level behind the keyboard.
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
dmc17
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdfird View Post
I had the same problem with my 07 only on one side. Thinking it couldn't be the bulb, since it worked when the headlights were not on, I ordered the connecter. Just before changing the connector, just for cuz, I swapped bulbs... problem swapped. Just a bulb the whole time. It's 5 bucks for a 2 pack at autozone. Worth a try.
Hi Birdfird,
I was wondering if the bulb swap was all it needed? Because I've been dealing with rear passenger blinker issue over several months. I've replaced my bulb three times. Thinking I've got to replace the socket now. Although now, Stanley here has got me rethinking that I need to check fuses first.

Tags
blinkers , brake lights , rear lights , tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.