Tail light working intermittently? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tail light working intermittently?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Tail light working intermittently?

Wierd.

Started a few weeks ago. I remote started the car and noticed that the right tail light was out when I approached the car. Driving home my right blinker was fast blinking due to the light being out, and I had someone confirm that it wasn't working when braking either. Next morning I start up the car and it's fine. A week later, it's out again. I smack the tail light and it comes on. Wierd. I removed & re-seated the bulb (didn't notice anything loose or corroded) and it still didn't come back on, but the filaments were fine. Gave the tail light another tap & still out. Then I give it a good whack & it's back on.

I'm not sure what is going on. Has anyone experienced this before?

07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

Change the bulb.

Next...

2011 Dodge Challenger - RT. 5.7 :)
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

I can give it a try, but the signs point to something other than the bulb since the filaments are still in tact and it is able to come back on after going out. I'll go swap the bulb to the other side and see if the issue follows the bulb until I get around to grabbing a new bulb. They're 3157's right?
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledJeep View Post
Change the bulb.

Next...
I wish you had it nailed as well as you thought you had. I switched bulbs from side to side, and the fault did NOT follow the bulb.
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any trailer wiring? If so disconnect the light module and see if it works correctly.
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
Do you have any trailer wiring? If so disconnect the light module and see if it works correctly.
Good line of thought, but I don't have a hitch. Any idea where the wiring connector would be in a non-equiped WK so I can take a look at it and see if it is wet/corroded/etc.

I had a problem with another car a few years back that was pre-wired for a hitch from the factory, but I never had one installed. After LOTS of trial & error I finally found the factory wiiring connector for a trailer harness & it was very corroded. Cleaned it up (and sealed it up good when I was done) and it's been good for 3+ years.

Anyhow, back to the WK - anyone have any other ideas what could be going on? Not like I would expect this sort of thing to trigger a fault code, but I did do an OBDII scan (no codes) this weekend just for fun.

I'm now waiting for my new tail light housing to arrive tomorrow as I got a little annoyed by the light going on & off and managed to crack it when hitting it to get the light to come back on over the weekend......
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
DuncsWK
2014 KL Cherokee 

I had a similar problem with the rear left tail light.

I would switch out with a new one or bulb or smack it around and it would work find for a while and then it would start being strange again.

I replaced them with LED (including resistors) and the problem hasn't returned.

The wiring harness for a WK that doesn't have an OE hitch is up in the spare tire well on the left side closer to the bumper.
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncsWK
I had a similar problem with the rear left tail light.

I would switch out with a new one or bulb or smack it around and it would work find for a while and then it would start being strange again.

I replaced them with LED (including resistors) and the problem hasn't returned.

The wiring harness for a WK that doesn't have an OE hitch is up in the spare tire well on the left side closer to the bumper.
Did you need the resistors? Unless my led lights have them built in, I'm without them and the flash is normal.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WKLtd View Post
I wish you had it nailed as well as you thought you had. I switched bulbs from side to side, and the fault did NOT follow the bulb.
Does the mean the fault stayed in the same taillight, or the fault vanished? If the fault stayed in the same taillight, was it failed immediately after you did the bulb swap or did it take a while to reappear?
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
yetti182
2007 WK 

I was coming on to post on almost the same issue. Left tail light bulb was out so I replaced last week. Now left bulb works for braking and blinker but not regular running light. I kept receipt which I never do so I'm going to Advanced today to return and replace to see if it was bad bulb but as it is all one bulb this may not be issue I feel. On side note the Sylvania reverse bulbs that are blueish bulbs are a lot brighter than stock I was impressed.
yetti182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
DuncsWK
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283

Did you need the resistors? Unless my led lights have them built in, I'm without them and the flash is normal.
Yes. Unfortunately I needed the resistors. That's the real reason I haven't finished installing them in the front
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
yetti182
2007 WK 

So final verdict is I believe (hope) my rear running light and front left turn bulb are on same fuse cuz they are both out and changing bulbs did nothing. Also realized my user manual probably not the one that came in jeep cuz it says my rear light assembly has 3 bulbs and my jeep only has 2 and the reverse bulb is not 3157 like manual says.
yetti182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncsWK View Post
Yes. Unfortunately I needed the resistors. That's the real reason I haven't finished installing them in the front
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Load-Resisto...item2314bd8556
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
DuncsWK
2014 KL Cherokee 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I used in the rear. I have a set for the front. They're just a pain in the *** to get to.
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Interesting, yetti - sounds like you may have some electrical gremlins if it keeps blowing the filaments - good luck!

New housing showed up today, and I was surprised to see that it included the blubs & the 'adapter' that seats the bulbs and allows it to connect to the wiring. Went ahead and just straight out swapped the entire tail light unit, so I now know that I've got (another) new bulb in there, and the "adapter" piece is new as well. Since I'm certain it was NOT a problem with the original bulb, I'm hoping the adapter piece was what was flaking out & causing the intermittent issue.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it & make sure it doesn't come back, but hopefully that wraps up this edition of WTF is going on with my WK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.