Synthetic oil in 3.7L WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Synthetic oil in 3.7L WK

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

Synthetic oil in 3.7L WK

im planning to change over to synthetic from mineral oil in my 3.7L. i wanted to know your oppinions, good or bad. plans are to run the Quaker State Torque power 4x4 formula, with a mopar filter. i will change the filter every 5K, and the oil every 12-15K. i drive that little 3.7 hard, and i wheel alot, and i want the best protection i can give it. my engine now has 54K on it running dyno oil, will i have any problems?

other suggestions?

Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would change both the filter and the oil at the same time. And unless you're running a separate oil filtration system or getting your oil analyzed regularly, I wouldn't go 12K between oil changes. But that's just me...I'm anal retentive about changing the oil and filter because that's probably the single biggest thing that can be done to promote engine longevity.

You shouldn't have any problems switching to synthetic. It's all about the weight...as long as you're running the proper weight of oil you'll be fine. Synthetics handle temperature extremes better than dino oil, and they can reduce oil temps (I saw this very clearly on my old Jetta that had a digital oil temp gauge in the trip computer), and they can last longer than dino oil before breaking down. But as I said above...12K is a little long for me.

If you're interested in extending your oil life that long, I'd consider oil analysis or a separate filtration system. If neither one of those is something you want to do, at least do a frequent visual check on the color of the oil...if it's anything other than a clear golden brown, then change it even if you haven't hit your 12K mark. Yeah, some cars now (BMW comes to mind) have oil life monitors that tell you when to change the oil, and the frequency is generally longer than that of the standard 5000 mile intervals, but I'm even leery of those systems because they don't actually monitor the quality of the oil, but instead base their recommendations on the drive cycles...shorter trips will result in less miles driven before the light goes on telling you to change the oil, and longer trips will extend the distance. You said yourself that you drive it hard...that to me means that 12K is probably too long, even using synthetic.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Ok.. I am an oil freak. I have been watching and learning about oils for 30 years. I am a professional mechanic and have had the seen the inside of all sorts of engines gas and diesel. I will only use mobil 1 in my engines but thats only because I beleve it to be the best lubricant I can buy off the shelf.
I dont want to flame Quaker State but I stopped using it 20 years ago because I found it to be high in sulpher and caused sluge faster than other major brand oils.. hopefully changed by now but I'm loyal to Mobil 1 now.. No more sluge !
To dispell a myth.. Mobil 1 IS made from petrolieum. Its not artifical or silicone based.. Ive heard plenty of stories. Mobil 1 is made from a petrolieum product taken further down the refining process so it is more pure to start with.

Read more here: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ynthetics.aspx

Technically, oil will never loose its lubrication properties but oil does way more than lubricate. Oil cleans, cools, seals, absorbs shock/impact, protects against corrosion and more. Most of those things are made possible by addatives in the oil that will evaporate over time. Extreems of heat and cold can break down oil faster. I would personally never go more than 5000 miles though some mfg's push a little further. I allways change it myself on all my vehicles because frankly I dont trust dealerships. And I change as close to 3000 in my cars as practical.
I am also selective about oil filters. I used fram for many years but after some research I believe that the Pur 1 by purolator is a superior filter, media type, number of pleats and seal and spring set up I think are better.
I strongly reccomend that you do your own research about oil and filters but these are my findings and beliefs.

Other links:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold

Last edited by HurriJeff; 05-01-2007 at 07:40 PM..
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Intrepidjeep

I use Mobil 1 exclusively, too, but I'm comfortable changing it out at 6000-8000 miles. That's bound to be a better compromise rather than 12K-15K.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
indianrefining

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriJeff
Ok.. I am an oil freak. I have been watching and learning about oils for 30 years. I am a professional mechanic and have had the seen the inside of all sorts of engines gas and diesel. I will only use mobil 1 in my engines but thats only because I beleve it to be the best lubricant I can buy off the shelf.
I dont want to flame Quaker State but I stopped using it 20 years ago because I found it to be high in sulpher and caused sluge faster than other major brand oils.. hopefully changed by now but I'm loyal to Mobil 1 now.. No more sluge !
To dispell a myth.. Mobil 1 IS made from petrolieum. Its not artifical or silicone based.. Ive heard plenty of stories. Mobil 1 is made from a petrolieum product taken further down the refining process so it is more pure to start with.

Read more here: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ynthetics.aspx

Technically, oil will never loose its lubrication properties but oil does way more than lubricate. Oil cleans, cools, seals, absorbs shock/impact, protects against corrosion and more. Most of those things are made possible by addatives in the oil that will evaporate over time. Extreems of heat and cold can break down oil faster. I would personally never go more than 5000 miles though some mfg's push a little further. I allways change it myself on all my vehicles because frankly I dont trust dealerships. And I change as close to 3000 in my cars as practical.
I am also selective about oil filters. I used fram for many years but after some research I believe that the Pur 1 by purolator is a superior filter, media type, number of pleats and seal and spring set up I think are better.
I strongly reccomend that you do your own research about oil and filters but these are my findings and beliefs.

Other links:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm
Jeff -

I'm with you regarding "Quaker Sludge" and Purolator Pure One filters but must disagree on the Mobil 1 (or any other synthetic). To each his own, but my wallet and I are of the opinion that synthetics are over-priced overkill except under the most extreme conditions. IMHO, for 99.9% of applications a superior Group III mineral oil is quite adequate - especially if it says HAVOLINE on the bottle!
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Intrepidjeep

I tend to agree with that. Our vehicles definitely don't fall under extreme service categories -- I just use synthetic since I tend to go with extended change intervals. If I didn't live in a third-floor apartment, I'd change it myself, and more often, and probably not use synthetic.

I pay a garage $40 or so for Mobil 1 and the oversize PH8-style filter -- and I watch them do it to make sure it gets done that way every single time. Changing it every 6000-8000 miles means the cost breaks even after all.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
05HemiQuadII

I prefer Wix filters, and for $5.50, only $1 more than the Fram(crap). I will run Mobil 1 in this vehicle as long as I own it. In my old Dodge 5.9, I run Valvoline, as I have run in most of my previous vehicles without fail. Tried Castrol Syntec once, but it caused smoke in a vehicle that never smoked before, and hasn't since I flushed out that crap. I wouldn't put Quaker Mistake in my worst enemies vehicle, nor the "liquid ball bearings" of Pennzoil. I worked in a shop that used Chevron gas motor oil, and Delo diesel oil, and had decent luck. Also breifly worked in a Havoline shop, and can't say anything bad about it, about par with the Chevron stock.

But to the question at hand, as has already been stated, stick to factory recomended weight oil, synthetic or dino, and use a quality filter and change both oil and filter no more than 7500-ish miles.
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
OnionCrk

Highly recommend synthetic oil. I've been using Mobil 1 in all our vehicles since
1992. I run Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter in our '06 GC Ltd Hemi, but still change oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
OnionCrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.