Switch Panel -- Dubtype1 Style - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Switch Panel -- Dubtype1 Style

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Switch Panel -- Dubtype1 Style

I had to fab up a quick switch panel for my roof/driving/fog lights before ECCC. This is what I came up with.........................

Grabbed some textured 1/8" plastic and cut it the shape of the cubby pocket thing (Technical term). Then I used a heat gun to form it like the front of the cubby. I drilled 4 holes for the mounting screws and test fitted it. Then, i made some back brackets out of some metal I had found. I bent the ends so it grabs the inner lip of the hole. Once I got it to fit the best I can get it, I cut out the switch area and cleaned it up. I first sprayed the panel a light grey I had laying around, but it did'nt match the dash. So, I re-sprayed it black (Ishould of used matte black but all I had was gloss). I installed the switches, wired them up and installed the panel to the dash......I still have to finish wireing the whole set-up but it's done for today...Here's the pics, enjoy.

If and when I decide to re-do the panle, I will pay more attention to detail and use smaller screws and different switches. All-In-All, I think it came out good.

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

Looks great. I woulda gone w/ flat black though.

I look at every fab as a learning experience, then try to make the next one a little better. Nice touch with the heat gun.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks, I just used what I had laying around. Therefor, the gloss is what I used, but I can always re-spray it later. It actually doesn't look that shiny in person, must be the camera.
Unread 05-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtype1 View Post
Thanks, I just used what I had laying around. Therefor, the gloss is what I used, but I can always re-spray it later. It actually doesn't look that shiny in person, must be the camera.
no, the gloss looks fine. I'm just ****in' w/ ya.

As far as the screws go. I would have gone with a smaller head too. I wouldn't re-do the whole thing. But, If it really bugs you, instead try swapping out the screws for silver allen head screws to match the vent panel above it. That might look cool.
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
no, the gloss looks fine. I'm just ****in' w/ ya.

As far as the screws go. I would have gone with a smaller head too. I wouldn't re-do the whole thing. But, If it really bugs you, instead try swapping out the screws for silver allen head screws to match the vent panel above it. That might look cool.
LOL, I kinda figured you were.......

That's a good idea with the screws, I'll look into that. Thanks.
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
criket
2005 WK 

dang this looks awesome. I just wish my cb wasn't in that spot. I may have to move it.
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great, almost factory if you put some fancy switches in there.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good.. but you spent all that time to make it work, then didnt get the switches to line up? Redo them man... and it will be great!
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
BonesWK
2006 WK 

sir did you swap out your ac vents?? or am I lost
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by criket View Post
dang this looks awesome. I just wish my cb wasn't in that spot. I may have to move it.
I have my CB in that spot too. I put the switches in the cubby below the A/C controls. You can fit at least three in there nicely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.