Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

switch from conv oil to synth

790 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveBx 
#1 ·
Since I'm about done replacing heads (blown gasket)
on friends '05 4.7L, and we'd like to switch from dinosaur oil
to synthetic, what is mandatory process to not mix the 2 ?
I assume there's more to it than drain engine and change O filter.

#3 ·
I switched to synthetic at about 50,000mi (at 150k now). I drained the oil, kept the filter, put in some kind of engine flush stuff in a can from the local auto parts store, drove it for 5 min or so, drained again, then changed filter and topped off with full synthetic. Been using synthetic ever since. Can't say I notice a difference in performance, mileage, or even cold-weather performance, but I didn't drive it much before switching to really know for sure.

Now, my head gasket just blew, but I don't think I can associate that with my flush, haha. I really don't know how necessary it was, but it was cheap, and it didn't cause me any issues.

#4 ·
I don't want to start a debate or argument about oil. Because there's a lot of those. Since I bought my Jeep at 88k miles I've started to use synthetic. However while at my local trusted shop I was speaking to the owner and he said he's always ran conventional Dino oil in all the Hemi's that came through. All the Hemi engines that have come in "broken" were running synthetic.

I listened to what he had to say, and will still be running synthetic oil tomorrow when I change it haha.

Just passing on what I've heard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.