Swirl question I haven't seen asked yet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Swirl question I haven't seen asked yet

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
WKNick
2008 WK 

Swirl question I haven't seen asked yet

I tried search but never saw this particular question addressed ....

Once a swirl motor failure occurs and is repaired at the dealership, is the fix permanent or is it possible you could have another failure again down the road?

I ask because the one we just picked up came with the service records and a previous owner had the misfortune of having to deal with the failure.

Thanks in advance!

WKNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Resistor mod or GDE tune. Never worry about the swirl motor again
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKNick

Once a swirl motor failure occurs and is repaired at the dealership, is the fix permanent or is it possible you could have another failure again down the road?

Thanks in advance!
Unless you have the new black intake tube seal and have done an Elephant Hose Mod, I would say no, there is no permanent fix. Even with these mods, the swirl motor is just an electric servo motor that could fail at some time for any number of reasons. To eliminate any problems, you should check out the threads on the swirl motor resistor mod, which will trick the ECU to believe the swirl motor is working, or, as the previous poster implied, get a GDE tune as it disables the swirl motor and prevents getting the CEL. You also gain from increased MPG and power.
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKNick View Post
I tried search but never saw this particular question addressed ....

I ask because the one we just picked up came with the service records and a previous owner had the misfortune of having to deal with the failure.

Thanks in advance!
its a valid question. I've read posts from owners that have done the costly repair twice, mostly on the UK forums where owners of Chrysler 300c also have the issue. By the way, the same problem also occurs on Mercedes equipped vehicles with the 3.0L CRD engine.

Certainly if you continue with the older style air intake tube and orange air intake tube seal, you risk oil dripping on the swirl motor and having it fail again, however, I have read of multiple swirl motor failures even with the new air intake tube and black air intake tube seal.

I have no concrete evidence, but I am speculating that the swirl flaps inside the intake manifold are so gummed up with EGR soot and oil that eventually the swirl flaps seize and cause the swirl motor to fail.

Some dealers clean or even replace the intake manifold when the swirl motor is replaced. You will have less chance of a subsequent failure if this is done at the same time as the swirl motor. In my opinion, if the dealer cleans or even replaces the intake manifold when the swirl motor is replaced AND you install the "elephant hose mod", you may never have a swirl motor failure.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
WKNick
2008 WK 

Thanks everyone, I kind of suspected that it was not permanent, after all what incentive is there for them to fix something that generates so much business right?

So it looks like mod #1 will be the GDE tune... Darn...

Now I just need to decide Eco tune or Hot tune. Maybe I'll just get both and have options

WKNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKNick View Post
Thanks everyone, I kind of suspected that it was not permanent, after all what incentive is there for them to fix something that generates so much business right?

So it looks like mod #1 will be the GDE tune... Darn...

Now I just need to decide Eco tune or Hot tune. Maybe I'll just get both and have options

When I took mine to the dealer they had no idea what they were doing. I decided to take it home and fix it myself after they spent almost 3 hours figuring out that the SM was dead. I already knew that and told them what I suspected but it took 3 hours for them to convince themselves. Then their estimate was $1200 to $3500 depending on whether or not they broke the linkage.

I fixed it myself with some encouragement from Tuco.... then several months later I heard about the GDE Tune and dove right in. Now I have a new SM that does nothing...but I'm happy.

I use ECO tune with dpf delete. Love it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.