Sway Bar Links for Lifted WK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Sway Bar Links for Lifted WK

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
WieSeL

What happened to your lower strut clevis? Looks damaged in the picture.

WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
CCUMP

Thanks for all the input. When I save up some money I might get the longer BWoody links. As of right now, since the links r pretty pricey I'm just gonna rock stock til something goes wrong. If I'm dropping some serious money soon it'll be on some upper control arms so I can get it aligned before my tires start wearing funny.
CCUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUMP View Post
Thanks for all the input. When I save up some money I might get the longer BWoody links. As of right now, since the links r pretty pricey I'm just gonna rock stock til something goes wrong. If I'm dropping some serious money soon it'll be on some upper control arms so I can get it aligned before my tires start wearing funny.
I don't think there is an adjustment for the upper arms. The camber is adjusted by the lowers. Maybe a different angle on the top would allow more adjustment? The alignment shop I went to said the camber was as "good" as they could get it without making the caster go out of spec
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
CCUMP

I got an RC lift, Blisten fronts, MLL rears, and JK take off wheel/tires. So what's the next logical upgrade? The control arms, the sway bar links, or something else??
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
WieSeL

Quote:
I got an RC lift, Blisten fronts, MLL rears, and JK take off wheel/tires. So what's the next logical upgrade? The control arms, the sway bar links, or something else??
Adjustable trackbar. Control arms should be Ok still. Links might be a good idea.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Get some JKS quicker disconnects for a JK, or run no swaybars like me
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #22
EtherealPonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
What happened to your lower strut clevis? Looks damaged in the picture.
Thats just dirt/sand/muck was going to put it up on a hoist and jet wash everything - been too busy modding, I know no excuses

Quote:
I don't think there is an adjustment for the upper arms. The camber is adjusted by the lowers. Maybe a different angle on the top would allow more adjustment? The alignment shop I went to said the camber was as "good" as they could get it without making the caster go out of spec
Yea we also had some wheel allignment issues (took hours to complete), mainly in the angle change of the Caster. The Toe and Camber where within the range. Due to difference in caster left to right, the ride high was out from left to right. after some changes managed to get this down to 4mm, which is nothing considering the dimensions of the truck and the suspension length, ride height. It drives in a straight line perfect now.

On another note, I will definitely be changing the UCA for the JBAs with uniball joint in them. This is something that will give in after considerable wheeling. also, I noticed when the truck is lifted on hoist, the UCA drops and touches the bracket that the UCA is mounted to, and the strut lower cup touches the wheel knuckle (both marked with red arrows in below pic). This is what I believe is causing a slight 'clank' noise when I go over a steep speedbump quickly (when the wheel travels down the bump (maximum articulation on the suspension). The JBAs should change these angles and move the knuckle away from the strut, and hopefully clear the mount bracket, also relieving the angle on the joint.

IMO, sway bars are needed for on-road driving, well at least on the highways where I live .. I wouldn't want to be driving on these interchanges without a sway link!!

EtherealPonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
WieSeL

Damn my angles aren't that extreme. What lift combo do you have?
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
CCUMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL
Damn my angles aren't that extreme. What lift combo do you have?
I'd say he has it on a jack
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
WieSeL

Quote:

I'd say he has it on a jack
Mine aren't like that. I have a different lift though. The spacer kit must change the angle more than the OME due to the change in location of the strut plate
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
EtherealPonx

Quote:
Mine aren't like that. I have a different lift though. The spacer kit must change the angle more than the OME due to the change in location of the strut plate
Yup, that picture is with the truck hoisted with all four wheels in the air, hence the extreme angles. Its a 2" RC with Bilsteins. This is what would happen when wheeling or when going over a steep speedbump, when the wheel drops down momentarily before the body catches up and the shocks kick in.

I would expect both BB and OME to change the location of the strut plate, but it seems in this case perhaps more so? where does the strut plate sit in relation to the wheel knuckle when jacked up, would be interested to see a photo of that ... I will be going down the OME route much later, but for the purpose of the wheeling I am intending to do (Sand dunes), it is not necessary at all. Once the truck is no longer a daily driver it will probably get an SL lift for the rocks
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealPonx View Post

Yup, that picture is with the truck hoisted with all four wheels in the air, hence the extreme angles. Its a 2" RC with Bilsteins. This is what would happen when wheeling or when going over a steep speedbump, when the wheel drops down momentarily before the body catches up and the shocks kick in.

I would expect both BB and OME to change the location of the strut plate, but it seems in this case perhaps more so? where does the strut plate sit in relation to the wheel knuckle when jacked up, would be interested to see a photo of that ... I will be going down the OME route much later, but for the purpose of the wheeling I am intending to do (Sand dunes), it is not necessary at all. Once the truck is no longer a daily driver it will probably get an SL lift for the rocks
The strut plate stays in the factory location with the OME kit because it uses springs to lift instead of plates.

This is with the vehicle on the ground but doesn't change the angle that much when lifted
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
CCUMP

Quote:

The strut plate stays in the factory location with the OME kit because it uses springs to lift instead of plates.

This is with the vehicle on the ground but doesn't change the angle that much when lifted
So ur saying u get less flex out of the OME?
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #29
WieSeL

Quote:

So ur saying u get less flex out of the OME?
No my angles just aren't that extreme
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
EtherealPonx

Quote:

No my angles just aren't that extreme
It would be when lifted, my angles look the same when on the ground ...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.