Sway Bar Clunk - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-15-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
MonkeyTree
2006 WK 

Garage
Sway Bar Clunk

I need some advice in trying to diagnose this PITA clunking sound. About a month ago I started hearing it from the driver's side whenever going over uneven surfaces. Got under her one evening and everything felt nice and tight. Removed the sway bar completely and the sound was gone. I read on here that it is most likely the sway bar bushings or end links, so I replaced the bushings (since they are cheap) and reinstalled the sway bar. Everything was fine for about a week.

Went mudding and the clunking came back worse than ever before. The driver's side end link was pretty damn loose, so I tightened her up and that mostly took care of the sound for another week or so. I just replaced that link tonight along with the bolt/nut/washer that connects it to the sway bar, but the sound is still there. It's not nearly as bad as it was before, but I'm sure it will come back strong as she loosens up.

I've made sure to torque her down nice and tight each time, but the problem keeps coming back. Any ideas on what I'm missing? Am I underestimating how much I need to torque it, or could it be something else? I don't have a torque wrench but I'm sure it's at least 100 ft lbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

I had the same problem when I switched to srt 8 bars. what I found is that there is a clip on the bar that should fit snug against the bushing. mine had about 1/4" space allowing the bar to move side ways. move the clip in tight against the bar - noise gone. that was about 4 months ago
post #3 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
MonkeyTree
2006 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the tip- I'll give that a try tomorrow and post an update.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

There are 2 sizes of sway bar bushings for the WK. Make sure you use the smaller size, or the clunk will return very quickly.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
197,000+ miles!
post #5 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 07:58 AM
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Is the bar shifting to the drivers side? Mine was shifting enough to where it was hitting the knuckle going over bumps, so I added some pipe clamps. Between pipe clamps, new MOOG bushings and end links my clunk has been resolved completely.

08 WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn|Modified OME HD|4600|5100|GY Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17
post #6 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 08:43 AM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
I had the same problem when I switched to srt 8 bars. what I found is that there is a clip on the bar that should fit snug against the bushing. mine had about 1/4" space allowing the bar to move side ways. move the clip in tight against the bar - noise gone. that was about 4 months ago
God damn it. That's a clip? On the outside of the drivers side bushing? Like a giant circ clip or something? Mine is all rusted to **** because I forgot to get undercoating last year before winter, I figured it was just a ridge on the bar.

This thing?

I'm guessing it needs to be pushed up against the bushing so that it limits side to side movement? That is if I can get it to move at all, lol. I've seen pics and sections of videos and their clips look different, is mine all busted to **** as well? lol

I've been having the same problem as MonkeyTree, at least I think it is, trying to figure it out. I can hear it, and feel it in the pedals. It's like a squeek, but a deep tone squeek, like metal and thick rubber. Figured it was just the bushings, so I swapped them, but the noise is still there. So I looked at a Mopar Parts website to see if there was anything missing, that clip isn't there, so I figured it was just a ridge that was part of the bar.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Okay, so I talked to the guys over at the dealership, and showed them the picture. They say that it isn't a clip, but is a normally a welded ring that must have broken welds and slid across, and now rusted into place. I took some more pictures, and I think they are right, since there is no gap that indicates it is a clip.

Not sure if I should get it rewelded, or leave it and see if I can fit an aftermarket sway bar lock in the space.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 AM
chance_p
2008 WK 

I have the same issue. My plan is to find a piece of steel pipe with an ID close to the OD of the swaybar. Cut the pipe in half and place it over the swaybar and then weld it or just throw a hose clamp around it.

08 WK 4.7 QTII - 4" Superlift - JK Moabs - 265/70 Cooper AT/3 - Flashpaq
post #9 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
MonkeyTree
2006 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys. I moved the clips tight up against the bushings using a mallet, and now the clunk is
completely gone. There was a good 1/4" - 1/2" of room on each side, just like nvrdone1 experienced. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Atarijedi- on my 06 that welded ring is actually a clip. It looks similar but it has tabs on each side and is not welded to the bar. Good news is you know
what the issue is, at least.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

atarijedi - it is a "clip" but it doesn't fit into a goove - just fits tight on the bar. also looks like your bushings may be too big for the bar. they should be the same id as the od of the bar. glad I could help with a simple fix. proves again that the "stealers" don't know it all
post #11 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 05:44 PM
tom19511
2014 WK 

nvrdone1is correct, it looks like you got the wrong size bushing. Mine was super snug.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511
nvrdone1is correct, it looks like you got the wrong size bushing. Mine was super snug.
Absolutely!

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #13 of 15 Old 09-16-2016, 08:41 PM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
atarijedi - it is a "clip" but it doesn't fit into a goove - just fits tight on the bar. also looks like your bushings may be too big for the bar. they should be the same id as the od of the bar. glad I could help with a simple fix. proves again that the "stealers" don't know it all
Mine isn't a clip though, it's a ring. There is no way to remove it, except cutting it off, and it doesn't look like was anything other than a part of the bar or something. Maybe it is a 2008 thing?

Front

Rear

I'll have to peek at the other side bushing see if there is a gap there as well, because this is supposed to be the smaller bushing set, so either they sent me the wrong set, or the wrong set was packaged in the correctly labelled box, or its a manufacturing defect. I bought'em a while ago though, so I'll have to chock that up to "should've installed them sooner".

Anyways, I'm wondering more about the device (ring/clip/whatever) that is supposed to prevent lateral movement. As you can see, it's a solid ring.

I can get a set of 2 piece bolt on sway bar "locks", http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/dll130 they are only $26, so I might try them out. Then I'll deal with the gap.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Okay, so I received the sway bar locks in the mail today, go to put them on. Don't fit. Fuuuuuuck. So I measure the sway bar, which I should have done before ordering. Turns out it is the larger 33mm SRT sway bar. Surprised the hell out of me, since I was told no mods had been done to the truck when I bought it.

So that means I need to get new sway bar bushings, for the larger sway bar, and then also new sway bar locks. It might also explain the gap in the bushings that is visible, the bushings might be squished near the middle so the outer edges are raised, causing the gap.

So i'm gonna install the new bushings, and if the noise is still there, I will then get new locks.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

those locks look kool. the part I called a clip is really a ring that fits all the way around the bar. mine is tight but can be moved in small steps with a big hammer & a drift. yours kooks like its rusted to the bar. I would try some PB blaster before trying to move the ring

Tags
bushings , front end clunk , link , sway bar , sway bar link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.