Swapping Axles for QD II - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Just to let all of you know... I have agreed on the price with the scrap yard... $500 US for both front dif, and complete rear axle. I asked them to cut the wires, so that I can reuse the OEM conector. They should disassemble the parts this week.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do much work on the mod, until January. But I will go through with it.

2005 Jeep GC Limited 4.7 QTII
2.3" RRO lift Bilstein Struts/Shocks 255/70R17 Cooper AT3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 PM
jimbono
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgossler View Post
Just to let all of you know... I have agreed on the price with the scrap yard... $500 US for both front dif, and complete rear axle. I asked them to cut the wires, so that I can reuse the OEM conector. They should disassemble the parts this week.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do much work on the mod, until January. But I will go through with it.
Awesome! Look forward to seeing your results.
post #33 of 51 Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Clarkyau
2006 WK 

Just be aware the left front axle is different on a QDII
QDII P/N 52104701AB
QTII P/N 52104591AB

I think its the spline length that is different.
Do yourself a favour & replace the front diff bush's before you fit the new front centre.

If you can afford it grab the FDCM from under the back seat of the doner vehicle get it. With that installed & the wiring done ( the wires run to the FDCM) all that should be needed for a complete conversion is to tell the PCM its a QDII. I can do that with https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpress/ With a FDCM that is already programed for a QDII it may not even need to be told.
sgossler likes this.

http://plus.google.com/u/0/+DownunderJeep/posts/p/pub

post #34 of 51 Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkyau View Post
Just be aware the left front axle is different on a QDII
QDII P/N 52104701AB
QTII P/N 52104591AB

I think its the spline length that is different.
Do yourself a favour & replace the front diff bush's before you fit the new front centre.

If you can afford it grab the FDCM from under the back seat of the doner vehicle get it. With that installed & the wiring done ( the wires run to the FDCM) all that should be needed for a complete conversion is to tell the PCM its a QDII. I can do that with https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpress/ With a FDCM that is already programed for a QDII it may not even need to be told.
It is my understanding that the front dif comes off with one of the shafts on, dont know which one. I will get both of them just to be safe. Also, I dont see a problem getting a hold of that module. It can certainly help to get it now, even if I dont use it.

post #35 of 51 Old 12-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Clarkyau
2006 WK 

I have removed my front diff several times & the axles aren't part of the diff.
The front right axle often gets stuck to the splined axle rod inside the housing but nothing a bit of penetrating oil & some brute force can't fix.
When I purchased a set of diffs from a wreaking yard here in Oz they removed both front axles & I only got the housing assy.
Pain really as I then had to buy the right axle, my original turned out to have binding in the outer C/V.
sgossler likes this.

post #36 of 51 Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 AM
jgc666
2005 WK 

Great thread!

Hi there,

that is an awful lot of helpful information, as I'm about to swap a QDII axle with ELSD into my QTII Laredo. I'm not after better grip, just doing because my rear QTII diff blew and I cannot get the same axle around (Germany is not a Laredo country...). So I will get a QDII ELSD rear axle with only 50' miles next week and my mechanic is positive that it should work even with the connector not being switched to any power.

But as this means quite some effort and financial risk to me I would sleep way better if someone out here could confirm to me that this will not let me run into issues.

So I guess I will lose the traction of the QTII at least. Running it in 4HI should work fine on paved roads. What about running it in 4LOW?

Any other comments?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Frankfurt/Germany

Stefan

2005 GC 4.7 Laredo QTII
post #37 of 51 Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Swapping Axles for QD II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc666 View Post
Hi there,

that is an awful lot of helpful information, as I'm about to swap a QDII axle with ELSD into my QTII Laredo. I'm not after better grip, just doing because my rear QTII diff blew and I cannot get the same axle around (Germany is not a Laredo country...). So I will get a QDII ELSD rear axle with only 50' miles next week and my mechanic is positive that it should work even with the connector not being switched to any power.

But as this means quite some effort and financial risk to me I would sleep way better if someone out here could confirm to me that this will not let me run into issues.

So I guess I will lose the traction of the QTII at least. Running it in 4HI should work fine on paved roads. What about running it in 4LOW?

Any other comments?

Stefan

There should be no problem with swapping axles. All V8 models have the same final drive ratio... I am not sure about the diesel. But I do know the Laredo V6 has a different final drive ratio. And this could cause problems..

As far as I now, you will still have complete use of your 4x4 system with low.

I would honestly go the extra mile and connect the solenoid in the QD diff to a manually operated switch. So now you can have a locker. It only requieres 12v at 15-20 amps...

Mit Freundlich Grue aus Mexiko!

Stefan Goler

post #38 of 51 Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Clarkyau
2006 WK 

Quote:
Hi there,

Any other comments?

Stefan
As long as the QDII axle is out of a V8 you will be fine, V8's have the 3.73 ratio, CRD's however have the 3.55 ratio in Germany (like here in Australia) so don't use a CRD axle.

QTII uses traction control in low range to brake a spinning wheel forcing drive to the wheel with grip, this will stay the same & you shouldn't notice any difference in low range with an un-powered QDII axle.

post #39 of 51 Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 AM
jgc666
2005 WK 

Thanks guys, very helpful!

I will also consider connecting a switch.

So I will go for the swap and let you know what happened!

Cheers,
Stefan

2005 GC 4.7 Laredo QTII
post #40 of 51 Old 03-06-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys, very helpful!

I will also consider connecting a switch.

So I will go for the swap and let you know what happened!

Cheers,
Stefan
How did it all turn out?

Finally, after 2 months it seems tomorrow I will get both front an rear QDII difs, at $500dls both, and I get to keep my original axles.

Hopefully, I will make the swap this week at my friends shop. I will let all of you know how it went.

post #41 of 51 Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 PM
jgc666
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgossler View Post
How did it all turn out?

Finally, after 2 months it seems tomorrow I will get both front an rear QDII difs, at $500dls both, and I get to keep my original axles.

Hopefully, I will make the swap this week at my friends shop. I will let all of you know how it went.
It's in and working fairly well, besides a slight whining that starts above 55mph... It's not too bad and the repair shop guy said he has another GC that sounds similar as long as he can remember. However, it's a used axle and returning it had not been an option due to labor cost. So I guess I will just live with it. Maybe I wouldn't even have noticed when I wasn't suspicious due to the previous issues... Did not connect the switch yet and don't know if I will, no real need for it.

Good luck for your swap!

2005 GC 4.7 Laredo QTII
post #42 of 51 Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
So, today I finally got the parts. To be honest all was done by phone, andI did not get to see the parts untill they where delivered. I actually got more than I needed... but I have to do some work to them to get them in shape before doing the actual swap.

Also I have decided where to put the locking switches...

post #43 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM
board350
2007 WK 

Dang! You got a ton of extras with that buy. Good deal! Switch placement looks sweet too. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
sgossler likes this.

2007 WK Limited, 3.0L Merc CRD, QDII, OME HD Lift, GDE "HOT" Tune, CBE pipe, Mineral Gray Metallic
post #44 of 51 Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
good luck with the swap keep us posted

IMO it probably is not possible to burn out the solenoids by leaving them actuated while the vehicle is moving. they are bathed in gear oil the whole time the vehicle is rolling, that's plenty to cool them. keep in mind they're fully actuated any time that a QDII jeep is in 4Lo and they don't burn out. maybe if you left them locked while stopped for an extended period, but even then, i'd doubt it.
sgossler likes this.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #45 of 51 Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
In my experience, with the machinery at my printing shop... solenoids dont burn just buy being engaged. Like a light bulb they eventually burn out. Obviously the longer they are energized the shorter their lifespan will be.

My intention is to lock the diffs on a need to bases. So it will not be engaged for long periods. The cool thing is I can lock them even in 4hi!! So going up an incline with gravel or slippery stuff I can just lock the diff and spare my brake pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.