Swapping Axles for QD II - JeepForum.com

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Swapping Axles for QD II

Hello, I am relatively new to the forum. I have looked around this and other forums and have not found much information on swapped axels from QTII to QDII on a WK.

I Have found a doner vehicle, And I would like to install manual controls, to lock the front and rear differentials independently.

So far I know that they requiere at least a 15 Amp relay, and 12 volts. Also, the swap should be pretty straight forward.

Any Advice? its either this or a lunchbox locker... last trail I drove, QT II hammered the breaks searching for traction. It got me up the trail, but I think it would have been much easier with at least a rear locker...

2005 Jeep GC Limited 4.7 QTII
2.3" RRO lift Bilstein Struts/Shocks 255/70R17 Cooper AT3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
monkey6
2009 WK 

Yes, it is possible. I was looking into it for a while, just don't have the funds to pick up the QDII axles right now. Biggest thing is getting the ECU to recognize the gearing change because the QDII has 3.73. I have the 3.7 which has 3.07, not sure what the 4.7 QTII comes with stock. I know the Hypertech tuner for the 3.7 has the option to change gearing. Other issue that I've seen on a previous post where it was done is that the prop shafts from the transfer case to the diffs might have a different bolt pattern at the diff side. Something to look into before tearing it all apart.
sgossler likes this.

2009 WK 3.7. 2" RC, 1.5" spacers, 265/70/17 BFG KM2's
post #3 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the feedback. I did not consider different gearing in the difs. I am still negotiating with the scrapyard, to se how much they want for both differentials. I could very well ask for the shafts as well. I will be sure to pay close attention to the bolt pattern.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_specs.htm

According to this website, both 4.7 and 5.7 engines feature a 3.73 Final Drive on both types of systems.

Hopefully they wont ask for too much money. I believe I could be getting them both for close to $500

post #4 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM
derpboss

I think adding a locker is a much easier option honestly.
sgossler likes this.
post #5 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM
board350
2007 WK 

What is the difference in the transfer case from a QTII and a QDII? My understanding was the QDII transfer case differential also contained a auto locking feature when in 4HI but went full locked in 4LO. Also, if the QTII final drive computer is attempting to control the brakes during wheel spin and you induce a locking diff, either QDII or lunchbox locker, isn't that going to cause issues? Just thinking outloud.
sgossler likes this.

2007 WK Limited, 3.0L Merc CRD, QDII, OME HD Lift, GDE "HOT" Tune, CBE pipe, Mineral Gray Metallic
post #6 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
It is my understanding, that the transfer case on both QDII and QTII is exaclty the same. As it is the same part number.

Also, differential brake control activates its function when one wheel is spinning faster then the other on the same axle. In theory, once they are manually locked the computer will never know the difference, as both wheels will be spinning at the same speed.

Regarding the aftermarket locker, The best would be an ARB locker, but that is $1,200(locker,Air compressor) + labor. An Auto locker, is much cheaper at $350+/-... but it has its handling quirks, and that is only for the rear.

My option would be close to $600, that is for both axles, with manually activated lockers. Labor should be much simpler as they are suppose to bolt on.

post #7 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 PM
SSF556
2008 WK 

I believe you also have to get the help of a Chrysler dealer to get the reprogramming done. Also keep in mind that QT2 is not locking the diffs..it is limiting slip. There is a big difference between the two.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #8 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM
guygene
2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Truetrac-by-eaton seems like it would be the cheaper option. People seem to love them.

http://4xguard.com/grand-cherokee-20...-by-eaton.html
sgossler likes this.
post #9 of 48 Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 PM
board350
2007 WK 

That would make sense to me that it would work then. It is my understanding that you are wanting to use independent switches on the dash to just activate the QDII lockers independent of the final drive computer. In that case it does seem to me that it would be easier to just bolt in the donar axles. This baring the drive shaft difference or mounting difference, if any truly exist.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
sgossler likes this.

2007 WK Limited, 3.0L Merc CRD, QDII, OME HD Lift, GDE "HOT" Tune, CBE pipe, Mineral Gray Metallic
post #10 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guygene View Post
Truetrac-by-eaton seems like it would be the cheaper option. People seem to love them.

http://4xguard.com/grand-cherokee-20...-by-eaton.html
I believe this is a better option to an autolocker/lunchbox locker. I will defenetly consider it.

post #11 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by board350 View Post
That would make sense to me that it would work then. It is my understanding that you are wanting to use independent switches on the dash to just activate the QDII lockers independent of the final drive computer. In that case it does seem to me that it would be easier to just bolt in the donar axles. This baring the drive shaft difference or mounting difference, if any truly exist.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Yes, this is exactly what I want to do. Independent switches. I understand it will not be OEM... but i think it gets the job done.

post #12 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 11:32 AM
jimbono
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgossler View Post
Yes, this is exactly what I want to do. Independent switches. I understand it will not be OEM... but i think it gets the job done.
I like the idea of replacing only the rear axle. If you do this successfully please, please make a thread! I'm very interested.

I imagine it being a little more involved than replacing just a differential, but if it's really as simple as bolting on the new axle and hooking up some switches for manual control that sounds amazing. I'd be super down for that. There are probably a decent amount of qdii axles floating around in scrapyards...

It's my understanding that If the rear tires are spinning at the same speed the qtii won't activate the brakes.

Also, is it true that the new qdii systems have the ELSD rear but only brake activation up front? I think I remember reading that but i might be totally off on that.
post #13 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Ok, so I am still trying to get the scrapyard to sell me the axles, they seem to have a bit of work before they can dismantel the WK Overland...

I cant insist too much, as if I do, he will jack up the price... I guess. he told me next week he will let me know how much it will be for the parts.. I hope he sells them cheap.

I will definitely make a thread on it. At least to let people know if it is posible or not, and how easy or difficult it is to make the swap. I have a close friend who has a mechanics shop... He will be helping me with the swap.

I am trying to get both front and rear, I know they have the complete WK at the scrapyard... so Its easier for them to just sell more parts at the same time. And better for me to get both rear and front difs now.

It is also my understanding that WK2 QDII have ELSD in the rear only.

post #14 of 48 Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 PM
board350
2007 WK 

By the way if you need info on driveshaft bolt patterns, locker signal wire input, pictures etc I'd be glad to get it from mine. Just let me know. I have my skid plates off at the moment so can access it all easily.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
sgossler likes this.

post #15 of 48 Old 11-27-2016, 11:48 PM
beemer9
2008 XK Commander 

I upgraded my 2008 4.7L Commander from QTII to QDII several years ago. Look for my thread in the Jeep Commander forum. It's a full blown QDII conversion with the Jeep controlling the ELSD's just like from the factory. BUT you need to get Chrysler Engineering (NOT the dealer) to write a new PCM program for your vehicle. To do that, you need to go thru a friendly Jeep dealer.
Mechanically it required replacing the underbody wiring harness, the front ELSD diff wiring harness, TCM, front diff assy including I think the drivers side axle, and the rear axle assy. EVERYTHING else, xfer case, drive shafts, was the same.
Some people have installed a QDII front and rear axle and operated the ELSD solenoids with rocker switches but I don't know how well that works. The QDII TCM modulates the current and voltage to the ELSDs constantly during use. I don't know what effect applying a constant 12v would have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.