Superlift 285/70 rubbing / is this normal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Superlift 285/70 rubbing / is this normal?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Superlift 285/70 rubbing / is this normal?

So I've done a little searching and couldn't find anything specific, so I pose the question to the masses.

2007 WK Limited Hemi w/ Superlift 4" + 285/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs on AEV Savagre rims.

I've had rubbing on the front wheel well pinchwelds since day one. Yesterday I took the whole inner fender out and made it as flat as it would go, and I still have under 1" of clearance between the tire and the pinchweld "bump" . I measure about 23.5" hub to fender on both sides.

I also noticed I only have about 1.5" or so cylinder showing for the front shocks on both sides.

Is this normal or am I riding low in the front? Any suggestions?

audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

If it is still rubbing the pinch weld after modding it then you need to flatten it more. Also get the plastic fender liner as tight up against the PW as possible. Here is what mine looks like and it clears my 35s!

I cut straight up the hump, over lapped the plastic, and melted it together as flat as I could get it. I also used a small self tapping screw to suck the liner in as close as possible. It also helps to mover the attachment point on the frame up and back farther so the liner will sit more flat.

Now for your ride height. How many miles are are on your front coils and shocks? Coils will sag over time. You could get a new set of OEM WK coils or you can find some new or used Hemi XK coils which have a slightly higher spring rate.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Thanks for the suggestions Nate.

The weld isn't the issue, its as flat as it gets. I took the inner fender out to flatten it even more and checked the spacing with it of, there's about 1/8" difference.

If you can clear 35's and others clear my tires with a OME HD 3" I definitely seem to be missing an inch of lift, but at 62K on the GC I cant imagine the springs are sagging already. I only put the lift on in mid Feb and drove it less than 1500mi since. After further inspection, I think what I miss took for grease from my gloves is actually spray from a blown strut. Now as I barely drive the thing, I'm leaning towards the possibility the previous owner popped the driver's strut, and the passenger side finally gave out with the extra weight of the lift.That would explain the sag and the lack of cylinder showing at rest. Even your shocks seem to show about 4" of cylinder from that above pic.

I just ordered a set of Bilstein's off Kolak. I think I might get some coil pucks under 2" until I can find someone swapping out their stock Hemi coils. I just don't want too stiff of a suspension, I have a TJ for that.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

I have a superlift also, and just noticed about the same amount of cylinder showing in front yesterday.
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Hey Tobyhanna! I grew up about 5 min from that base.

So you have less than 2" of cylinder showing too? And you have an extra 1/2" with the levelers. Interesting... You wouldn't happen to have blown struts too would you?

I'll update once I have the Bilstein's on.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

I bought it like this, so im still learning what is still good or needs to be replaced on it.
Im unsure if they are blown haha
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

UPDATE:

Totally was the weak struts. I had like 1.5" of shock cylinder showing and I would rub just backing up with 1/4 wheel turn on flat pavement. The front end was both sitting low, and dipping further under barely any stress.

Upgraded to the Bilsteins, now have over 2" of cylinder showing and none of the previous road spots I consistently rubbed on are reproducible. With only 65K on my OEMs, I'll now recommend to anyone to upgrade the front shocks while they have that damned fork off the first time. (2 months after lift, the brand new front driver's side fork bolt again seized. We popped out the shock by tipping it out and pulling it up from the fork to bypass this day-waster)
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Glad to hear you got some new struts in there. However, sinse your tires rub the pinch weld when the suspension is compressed then I would still flatten then more. Your Jeep is sitting higher now, but once you compress the suspesion or flex it out the tires will still rub.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.