Superchips flashpaq only 4 tunes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Superchips flashpaq only 4 tunes?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 06-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
lma1973

Superchips flashpaq only 4 tunes?

Got this yesterday. Hooked up the device after updating it online and It looks like then only tunes available are:

91 Performance
87 Octane
Towing
Mileage XS

I just installed the "87 Octane" tune and not sure im seeing much of a difference (drove around for about 20 mins). Plus the explanation of this tune in the superchips manual is: Allows you to run 87 octane regardless of manufacturers recommendation

I thought this was a performance tune? My Hemi can already run on 87 Octane gas.

Superchips Flashpaq
lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Theyre both performance tunes, the 91 tune just advances the spark timing so you can get a little more pep. And I could notice a difference with the 87 tune over stock. And a huge difference with the 91 tune running 93 fuel. Get the tranny tune if want to tweet it a little more. The mileage tune is waste, and well the towing tune is self explanatory
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Fast55
2010 WK 

You can run 87, but 89 is recommended for a reason. I still noticed a difference with the 87 tune. I run the 91 tune with 89 octane fuel and it's a big difference. Try that and give it a day to learn the mods you have.
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
lma1973

Thanks guys. I will drive it for a bit more. I think i was more confused by SC explanation of what the tune did. The little booklet that came with it said there is an "87 Performance" tune but its not for the Hemi. We get the "87 Octane" tune instead. They are two different tunes.
Superchips Flashpaq
Unread 06-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
lma1973

Okay-talked to SC about the 87 Octane tune and this is whats its for (Its not a performance tune):

"Optimizes settings allowing 91 Octane required or recommended vehicles to safely use 87 Octane gasoline."
Superchips Flashpaq
Unread 06-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Yep! They probably just retard the timing so you won't get much knock retard (KR) and it runs like crap.....but you can run 87 fuel. Since you're near sea level, if you run the 91 tune, you'll probably need to run either 91 or 93 fuel to avoid a bunch of KR. Those of us that are at altitude are a little more lucky in that regard. We can sometimes (mostly winter) get away with running 87 or 85 with the 91 tune without getting much (or any) KR. At ambient temps. over about 90* I run 91 though. Just filled it up today with 91 non-ethanol, as the temps. for the next 5-7 days are suppose to be over 100*.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
scootter82
2009 WK 

Since I'm at 5500ft, I could run the 93 tune and then use 91 octane (highest available)?
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
lma1973

Its weird, i run 87 octane in my Hemi already. I alternate between 87 and 89 and i can tell a slight difference in performance and MPG using 89 over 87. With the 87 Octane Superchips tune, it feels like it does when im running 89 octane gas. Maybe thats the performance "gain" folks think they are getting from the 87 Octane tune.

Got a trip to the beach this weekend. Going to try the gas saver tune to see if that does anything. Otherwise next up is the 91 performance tune and hopefully it will make a difference and if so i will leave it there.
Superchips Flashpaq
Unread 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter82 View Post
Since I'm at 5500ft, I could run the 93 tune and then use 91 octane (highest available)?
At 5500 ft. you could run 87 and maybe even 85 without issue. You'd probably get better fuel economy too.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
scootter82
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post

At 5500 ft. you could run 87 and maybe even 85 without issue. You'd probably get better fuel economy too.
I'm going to try out the 93 tune this weekend. The highest I've ever done was 91. I'll continue to use 87 octane for a bit and see how it runs.
Unread 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

I ran the 87 octane tune with my 4.7 and only noticed slight difference. I actually just chocked it up to placebo effect rather than actual "gains".

The 91 tune, on the other hand. Huge improvement, much more get-up and go and netted me 21.4 mpg versus the 19.8 with the 87 tune. I've ran both tunes for about 5,000 miles and the 91 is hands down better. I think the 87 tune is more for making you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The towing tune, which is supposed to be used with 91 octane as well, netted about 20.6 mpg, and I didn't notice much of a towing difference with the 91 performance.
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
I ran the 87 octane tune with my 4.7 and only noticed slight difference. I actually just chocked it up to placebo effect rather than actual "gains".

The 91 tune, on the other hand. Huge improvement, much more get-up and go and netted me 21.4 mpg versus the 19.8 with the 87 tune. I've ran both tunes for about 5,000 miles and the 91 is hands down better. I think the 87 tune is more for making you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The towing tune, which is supposed to be used with 91 octane as well, netted about 20.6 mpg, and I didn't notice much of a towing difference with the 91 performance.
Yup I'm re-tuning to 91 lol
Unread 06-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
lma1973

Cant wait to check out the 91 tune! Im heading to beach tomorrow-about 130 miles interstate and flat so i just programmed the XS Mileage tune for kicks. The "87 Octane" tune was fine but for vehicles that can already run 87 its really of no value. I think the throttle response was "maybe" a little better and hung onto shifts a little longer thought this may be placebo. I wish they gave us the "87 Performance" tune and then maybe we would have something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post

Superchips Flashpaq
Unread 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973 View Post
Cant wait to check out the 91 tune! Im heading to beach tomorrow-about 130 miles interstate and flat so i just programmed the XS Mileage tune for kicks. The "87 Octane" tune was fine but for vehicles that can already run 87 its really of no value. I think the throttle response was "maybe" a little better and hung onto shifts a little longer thought this may be placebo. I wish they gave us the "87 Performance" tune and then maybe we would have something.
Drive around with both the 87 tune and the 91 for awhile and see what you like and what you don't like about both of them. You can then purchase the Advanced Transmission Tuning App from Superchips and adjust things accordingly to your own driving style. The app can really help to make the HEMI come alive! Especially with throttle response, and fine tuning shift points. I was able to completely change how the Jeep drives while also adding a few extra mpg. It's a night and day difference over stock!
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2015, 05:10 AM   #15
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Every now and then I'll go back and forth on the 87 tune and the 91 performance. Both really help the fuel economy on my 4.7. I run 89 in the tank when I run the 87 octane tune and she runs great. The 91 does really wake the WK up. Both advance the spark a d change the shift points in the tranny- you can go into the advanced tune section and mess with the settings of each tune (adjust shift points, fan settings, speed limiter settings, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.