Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Superchips 3875 Advanced Trans Option

12K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Kolak 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks, I was a beta tester for the Advanced Trans Option on the Dodge Ram, Hemi Flashpaq 3865. I've been playing with the Advanced Trans Option on my Flashpaq 3875 on my wife's 2005 Jeep GC with the 5.7L Hemi and 545RFE tranny and was wondering if anyone else has built Shift Schedules for their Jeep?

Unfortunately I don't see where I might share my schedule on this forum - it's an Excel spreadsheet. I've asked the host site for our Ram schedules if he might load it up to share here. (Edit: Jeremy has shared my Jeep schedule on the link below.)

Anyway, if anyone needs help or has questions, I'll do my best to help out.

You can view our Ram schedules and the FAQ I built on: Index of /superchips

:2thumbsup:

#2 ·
Awesome, you can probably answer some needed questions! If my fourth gear is shifting down into third too early around 15% TP, which direction should I go with the speed adjustment? I am using the 5.7L 2008 schedule in the link you provided above.

#3 ·
Just so everyone knows the 5.7L and 4.7L shift schedules on the link in post #1 are for the Dodge Ram - same engine and trans but there may be a few modifications you'll need to make for your Jeep.

OK. If you're shifting too quickly then you need to separate the curves at the affected TP%. I recommend increasing 4Dn at your 15% TP and going from there. To start off, I'd say be conservative, increase 4Dn by 2 to 4 MPH and see how it feels.

The opposite is also true. That is, if you want to down shift sooner, move the complementary curves closer together. I.e., 1Up and 2Dn, 2up and 3Dn, 3Up and 4Dn and 4Up and 5Dn at the affected TP%.

For our International friends, I built a MPH to KMPH conversion into my shift schedules for the Ram. See Mark's shift schedules in the 5.7L/07/ directory. When using this schedule you will have to modify the TP% values and Stock values to match your Jeep's calibrations.

:2thumbsup:

#5 ·
The following is extracted from one of our discussion threads in a Dodge "Talk" forum. ;) Sil (SilsHemi), was the beta team lead throughout our testing and I put the FAQ together. I highly recommend reading the FAQ as it will answer many of your questions.

[Begin included message...]

Superchips official release announcement and some important information in this first post. Please read.

CODE IS OUT!!!

Originally Posted by Scott@SC View Post
It's ready people. The 72 hr. code to download the Advanced Trans Tuning option is TRANS90

Enjoy!

Scott
Please understand that the coupon will expire at 10:00AM EST Friday May 7th! After that time the option will be $39.95.

NOW GO GET IT!!
Originally Posted by Scott@SC View Post

Its official people, the Superchips Advanced Trans Tuning upgrade for the 04-09 HEMI Ram trucks and 04-08 HEMI Durango's goes online Monday May 3rd.

This is an exciting moment for us here at Superchips and we believe that you will feel the same way we do about this option once in your hands.

I will post the coupon code that same Monday so that everyone waiting will have the chance to use it as the release comes online.

Thanks for everyone's patience and interest in this option. The betas have been the backbone of this project from day one and they deserve thanks as well. We couldn't have done it without them.

Scott
Originally Posted by SilsHemi View Post

A synopsis of important information. Also, the transmission options FAQ is available here: Index of /superchips
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Just an FYI to all and a very important step during the transmission options upgrade process.

In order to upgrade to the transmission options, when it's released, you must be VIN locked (your truck has to be tuned) during the update.

If you are not VIN locked (your truck is tuned) during the update, the upgrade will not go through.

This is a necessary step to electronically sign the legal waiver and authorize the upgrade.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

There's shift logic built into the program. It won't allow you to stack shifts. Excellent safety feature.

The most important part of setting your shift schedule is, just be mindful not to cross your up and down shifts. That's where you can force an up and down shift loop. The excel graph gives you a good visual of how this could happen and is the number one reason you should use the graphs.

You can set the up and down shifts closer. The closer, the quicker the up and down shift will transition, but stay away from overlap.

I've attached two example graphs to give you an idea. The first one is fine, the second is not.

RIGHT:

WRONG:

Jeremy (one of our beta testers) was nice enough to host user shift schedules on his website. Thanks J.

These schedules are user schedules and aren't endorsed by Superchips. Totally done by the beta testers. We have a few schedules up now and we'll add more as we go along. This will be an easy way to access user shift schedules.

Please bookmark the URL.

Here's the website: Index of /superchips

New feature.

The feature will allow the user to choose Stock TM or Superchips TM, with either the Stock shift schedule or Superchips shift schedule. This will allow you to use Superchips tuning with any combination mentioned.

This is an either/or option. It does not offer the ability to fine tune like the transmission options will (when released).

It's a nice feature for those folks who prefer the stock schedule or stock torque management, with Superchips tuning.

The transmission options are VIN specific. They can't be moved from one VIN to another VIN.

The upgrade fee would apply to any new VIN.

Just a reminder.

Be aware that you have to choose your PCM model to view the correct PIDS for you truck in DAQ.

NGC4 2007+
NGC3 2006
NGC3 2004-2005

The reason I mention this is, you'll see both NGC3 and NGC4 in the menu.

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
For those who do not have Microsoft Office, there's a great open source office software suite called OpenOffice.

OpenOffice will allow you open and work the excel spread sheets we use for shift schedules.

Here's the URL: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

Keep this in mind when sharing user shift schedules.

It's preferable you share shift schedules within the same model year. The reason being, throttle position percentages vary from year to year. Keep in mind they can still vary in the same year of truck in some circumstances.

Example: A 2007 Ram 2500 will not have the same throttle positions as a 2007 Ram 1500.

They may be similar in this case, but there will be variances.

Another tip.

When inputting a shift schedule, you may not have the max value in a particular TP% available. Don't worry. As you enter your values for the next shift points (2,3, etc.), you can go back to those previous shifts and your max value will have increased. Now you can input the value that previously could not be entered.

This is the shift logic safety feature kicking in and protecting you from stacking shifts.

Just a reminder in regards to torque management.

Setting torque management to 0% will not yield the best results. Leaving some TM in the mix produces a quicker shift.

The beta testers confirmed this during testing.

From the FAQ:

Q: Should I set torque management to 0% or leave in some percentage?

A: You should leave some TM in all of the shifts because the shifts will complete quicker with some load reduction. 0% doesn't necessarily mean a quicker shift; it means the engine is not reducing power during the shift. Think about it in the sense of friction, if you are applying torque to the transmission, the higher the friction. If you reduce it a little the lower the friction and this is a non-linear reduction. Too much torque and the truck will lag its shifts.

Just a reminder.

The shift schedules the beta testers provide on the web server are their own personal schedules. Superchips had no input in these schedules whatsoever and they will not be providing any USER shift schedules. This is totally a USER custom tuning product for your transmission.

The reason for this reminder is, everyone has different thoughts on how our trucks should shift. Invariably there will be folks who load up a personal shift schedule and not like part of the schedule. This is when the USER comes into play and makes the necessary adjustments in the schedule to their liking.

Again, this is a USER custom tuning product. Please keep that in mind when working with the tuning.

#6 ·
More or less posting to subscribe. My Diablo vs superchips thread that turned into "Ok I bought a Flashpaq what now" died with no updates in several weeks. I am running settings to more or less shift around 2k but keep above 1500 to maintain mds on and I reduced TM by 30% on all up shifts Down shifts are set to superchips. Im still at 14.5 with maybe going to the floor once or twice per tank to pass :( I just dropped the 91 tune for the mileage xs and filled with 87 to see what that does. Any one have any new stuff to discuss?

Im considering trying a whole new- turn the MDS off and shift as early as possible and let it lug in 5th approach and see if thats better than trying to keep MDS on as much as I can.

#7 ·
More or less posting to subscribe. My Diablo vs superchips thread that turned into "Ok I bought a Flashpaq what now" died with no updates in several weeks. I am running settings to more or less shift around 2k but keep above 1500 to maintain mds on and I reduced TM by 30% on all up shifts Down shifts are set to superchips. Im still at 14.5 with maybe going to the floor once or twice per tank to pass :( I just dropped the 91 tune for the mileage xs and filled with 87 to see what that does. Any one have any new stuff to discuss?

Im considering trying a whole new- turn the MDS off and shift as early as possible and let it lug in 5th approach and see if thats better than trying to keep MDS on as much as I can.
You may find your mileage will suffer. I've found that keeping the engine in the power band actually increases mileage- more efficient use of the fuel being burned. By "lugging" you're applying more throttle and it's less efficient burning of the fuel you're putting through the engine.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiment though.

#12 · (Edited)
Acid, go back to post #5 and read through it then, open the FAQ on Jeremy's host site. This will give you a good head start on what you'll be doing. Armed with that information download a shift schedule and tweak from there.

Good Luck...

#9 ·
Acidcold, don't give up on it, it's a great program. Just tinker with it for a while. What I did was write down (longhand) all the stock settings and then started changing them the way i felt they should be. I recorded, again in longhand, each subsequent adjustment. I started with ONLY the upshift schedules. I went by RPM, speed, engine load, and in my case, MDS operation. I drove it each way for a few days to get a good feel for each of the settings. Then I made adjustments until it "just seemed right" to me. I also used my DashHawk to monitor parameters and tried to keep the RPM in the 1500-2400 range, the engine load as low as possible, with no lugging, and the MDS operation on as much as possible. IMO, most everyone will have slightly different settings to suit their needs and desires. After the upshifts I messed with the torque management a little. I am fairly happy with it now, as I am with the stock downshift schedules. I am currently on about my 4th rendition of upshift schedule and may just make a couple more very slight tweaks to get it perfect for me. Give it a try....I guarantee once you do, you'll really enjoy it. Besides, it's fun to tinker, IMO.

#10 ·
Just bough the flashpaq, using the superchips 91 performance w/ shift.

do i have to buy the advanced trans options, or it it allready included in my tuner?

#13 ·
And, well worth it, IMO!!

#15 ·
Cool! Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask questions.

#16 ·
can someone confirm that the trans app becomes vin locked to first vehicle you use it on? or is some potato head just trying to justify lowballing me on my 3875 in for sale section

Tell ya what guys be sure and run out and buy a catch can, and if your looking at hemis look behind the throttle plate, if its caked with oil sludge then your intake is caked too and you can give up better than 14MPG :(

go buy a diesel like me, Im riding in a 7.3 excursion getting 17-19 and got enough room to just throw anything I want in the back, or take all the people I want to where I go, or camp in the back! nothing like it!

#17 ·
Yup, vin locked on the 1st vehicle you upgrade. Good news though, if you want to use on another Jeep, it will unlock and become locked on that one. You can only use it on one vehicle at a time, but will work on multiple vehicles. So if you have a 2007 WK and sell it, you can use it on your 2009 JK after you return the WK back to stock.

#18 ·
The question was not about the tuner itself... Obviously tuning can only be used on one vehicle at a time, otherwise one person would buy a tuner and tune the whole neighborhood and Superchips would go out of business. I'm talking about the add on Trans tuner application, It costs an additional $40 and must be pos bought and downloaded like an itune from superchips site. The rumor is that it can only be used once and that if you wish to use trans tuner app on a DIFFERENT vehicle it would have to be re purchased/downloaded. Get it?

#26 ·
Thanks for the info guys. i have an 05 hemi grand with an afe cold air intake and an mbrp exhaust. It has a pretty bad drone when cruising between 58-70mph.It aslo has really sluggish shifts. it doesn't downshift by itself right and then lugs going uphill until i manually downshift. will getting this flashpaq and adjusting to the 87 tune help this or will i also have to do the trans adjustments tooThanks in advance guys.

shawn

#27 ·
The Superchips does some trans reprogramming even without the advanced trans option. You should definitely notice better transmission shift quality and performance, not to mention the power gain.

PM me if you'd like to get one - I have them sale-priced this month and Superchips is offering a $25.00 rebate through the end of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.