SuperChip vs Diablo? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > SuperChip vs Diablo?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Yes, you can use 93 with the 91 tune. Superchips tends to run a little more timing and you may even get a little (not harmful) Knock Retard with 93 in the tank. As far as setting the tranny up, if you don't have a good understanding of what's going on, you're smart not to mess with it. IMO, what you should do is make notes on what you don't like (shift schedules, torque management) the way it is set up stock, and make notes on how you would like it to be. Then you should graph the stock settings, as read off the Superchips App., and next graph the settings the way you want them to be. On mine, the vertical leg shows throttle position in %ages in 10% increments. The horizontal one shows miles per hour in 5 mph increments. Once graphed, you should be able to get a good idea of what is going on. Just do not overlap the up and down shifts for the same gear and you'll be good. Also, the closer the up and down shift graphed lines are to each other, the more sensitive down shifts will be to throttle opening. As an example, my second and third up/down lines are pretty close together, so when I am putting around town, it only takes a very slight application of throttle to make it downshift. This livens it up and never lugs the engine. In other words, it's set to keep the RPM higher, rather than lower. One other thing, using another person's setup may not be suitable for you, as the way you want it may not be the way the other guy has it, and it may be worse for you than stock. For instance, I have mine set up to take maximum advantage of the aftermarket cam I have installed in mine, and also to maximize the Hemi MDS "on" time. I have it set so it doesn't up shift from 4 to 5 until about 70 mph. This allows me to run in 4th gear on the highway (closer to the cam's power range), and keeps the MDS on at least 90+% of the time. Hence, 20-22 mpg, with a high of 24 mpg. Finally, once you graph everything and start tinkering with it, I am sure you'll pick up on it. I've had it on mine since the App. came out, and I still, from time to time, tweak some of the settings to suit my desires at the time. If you really get stumped, let me know, but give it the good old college try first.

Edit: If you want to just mess around a little with the stock shift schedules, just start tinkering with the light and wide open throttle torque management settings for each gear. It's pretty hard to determine how to set it......just trial and error until you're happy. I lowered each of the setting by about 10-15% at a time until I got it where I wanted it. Just be aware, that with in the lowrer gears (more gear reduction), 10-15% may make quite a difference in shift firmness. As you get to the higher gears, you may end up with half or less the stock settings.....that is if you want firm shifts and not the "soggy" stock ones.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
Jeepboarder
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer
Yes, you can use 93 with the 91 tune. Superchips tends to run a little more timing and you may even get a little (not harmful) Knock Retard with 93 in the tank. As far as setting the tranny up, if you don't have a good understanding of what's going on, you're smart not to mess with it. IMO, what you should do is make notes on what you don't like (shift schedules, torque management) the way it is set up stock, and make notes on how you would like it to be. Then you should graph the stock settings, as read off the Superchips App., and next graph the settings the way you want them to be. On mine, the vertical leg shows throttle position in %ages in 10% increments. The horizontal one shows miles per hour in 5 mph increments. Once graphed, you should be able to get a good idea of what is going on. Just do not overlap the up and down shifts for the same gear and you'll be good. Also, the closer the up and down shift graphed lines are to each other, the more sensitive down shifts will be to throttle opening. As an example, my second and third up/down lines are pretty close together, so when I am putting around town, it only takes a very slight application of throttle to make it downshift. This livens it up and never lugs the engine. In other words, it's set to keep the RPM higher, rather than lower. One other thing, using another person's setup may not be suitable for you, as the way you want it may not be the way the other guy has it, and it may be worse for you than stock. For instance, I have mine set up to take maximum advantage of the aftermarket cam I have installed in mine, and also to maximize the Hemi MDS "on" time. I have it set so it doesn't up shift from 4 to 5 until about 70 mph. This allows me to run in 4th gear on the highway (closer to the cam's power range), and keeps the MDS on at least 90+% of the time. Hence, 20-22 mpg, with a high of 24 mpg. Finally, once you graph everything and start tinkering with it, I am sure you'll pick up on it. I've had it on mine since the App. came out, and I still, from time to time, tweak some of the settings to suit my desires at the time. If you really get stumped, let me know, but give it the good old college try first. Edit: If you want to just mess around a little with the stock shift schedules, just start tinkering with the light and wide open throttle torque management settings for each gear. It's pretty hard to determine how to set it......just trial and error until you're happy. I lowered each of the setting by about 10-15% at a time until I got it where I wanted it. Just be aware, that with in the lowrer gears (more gear reduction), 10-15% may make quite a difference in shift firmness. As you get to the higher gears, you may end up with half or less the stock settings.....that is if you want firm shifts and not the "soggy" stock ones.
I just got a super chips flashpaq and started running the 91 tune, absolutely love it! I haven't really messed with shift points because I'm not 100% confident as to where they should be. Any input 90grandoneer? I know it's a subjective question as far as driving style goes but have you come across any shift points that seem to be the most efficient throughout the powerband? Sorry if I'm not making sense...
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

IMO, the best way to set up the transmission is to do what I described in Post #12 of this thread. If you don't want to do it that way, you can just start tinkering by moving the shift points (both light and WOT) and torque management slightly in the directions you want them to go. I know I would become very frustrated doing it this way though. Graphing both the stock and desired up/downshift schedules helps give you a visual of when (speeds) and at what throttle positions things are going to happen. I've only done 3 graphs....stock shift schedule and two showing the way I wanted to try things. After that, every change I made, I documented (and dated) on a steno pad using the same format that is on the tuner. Again, IMO, it's very important to first determine the things you don't like and want to change. I would not recommend changing things just for the sake of changing them. If your transmission works like mine did stock, there are several things that should jump out at you with regard to the up and downshift schedules and torque management......i.e. sloppy, early up shifts, 3-4 light throttle shift is crap, engine lugging slightly before downshifts, rough downshifts, etc.

Most importantly, don't be afraid, and before you jump into it, try to gain an understanding of what all the numbers that show up on the tuner mean. I did my first graph in May of 2010, and have made (and written down) minor changes ever since. By writing everything down, it allows you to keep track of where you're going, where you've been, and what works best. Once you get everything close, minor tweaks become easy to do. Even today I, from time to time, make slight one or two mph changes in up/downshift points.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.