SuperChip vs Diablo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > SuperChip vs Diablo?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

SuperChip vs Diablo?

I know, I know..... there are probably multiple threads on here as far as performance chips. But Im here to ask a couple specific questions.....

My brother has the DiableSport Trinity on his jeep JK. I have de-registered his and tested it on my grand cherokee. And one of the features that I like, is the throttle-response feature. There is an option in the advanced settings to increase throttle response percentage.

Now that he has taken his tuner back, im interested in buying my own. But I have actually been more interested in the superchips vivd linq android tuner.

My only concern is, nowhere on their website in the features list, does it say that you can adjust throttle response. And one of the biggest things about this jeep WK Hemi, is its terrible throttle response. So can any of you superchip owners confirm that you can adjust the throttle response?? or no?? Also, does anyone have the Vivid Linq over the flashpaq?

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
hearld5000
2006 WK 

I have the FlashPaq (same tuning I believe) and it makes a massive difference in the throttle response. I don't recall if there is an explicit feature though for adjusting percentages.
hearld5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Anon155
2005 WK 

I know with the flashpaq there is a advanced transmission tune app you can download. Allowing you to change your shift schedule across the board and torque management settings. Basically giving you full control of up/down shifts. It really has made my jeep come alive since having it professionally tuned. Idk if they have included that option with the vivid or not. I didn't see much info on it last time I looked at their website.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

The advanced transmission tuning feature is available for the Vivid Linq as well.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
sickchilly
2010 WK 

I had the FlashPaq for my JK and it had an advanced throttle response setting sort of like the Trinity. Only it wasn't percentage, it was four settings, IIRC, something like "stock, aggressive, moderate, and something else".
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Sean at Hemifever can hook you up with something. E-Mail him what you're looking to improve along with any mods you have, and he can point you in the right direction. I have a Diablosport Predator, and even the tunes it comes with showed me an improvement, but I had Sean send me custom tunes for my truck based on data-logs I sent and I see a good improvement.

The Hemi throttle body naturally has lag since it's electronic, not traditional cable throttle linkage.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Some of this has been covered above. I have both the Superchips (with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application) and Diablosport tuners and I can tell you that you don't need any throttle response adjustments with the SC tuner. It is superior to the one in the DS tuner, at least when using the 91 tune. I normally run the SC with the ATT App., almost solely because of the App. In the past (before the ATT App.) I always ran the DS tuner because it performed slightly better and got a little better fuel economy. Not so anymore, when using the App.

Recently, at the drags, I changed the WOT shift points on the SC and forgot to re-activate the App. I decided to leave it that way since the recall needs to be done, at which time I'll return it to stock. I didn't like it at all because it reverted back to the stock shift/torque management schedules. I then decided I'd remove it and install the DS tuner, since I hadn't used it since the ATT App. came out. The DS doesn't hold a candle to the SC with the properly set up ATT App., even though you can change the 1-2-3 upshift schedules. With the throttle response max'ed out, it still isn't as sensitive as the SC. I don't know if the Trinity is much different than the Predator, but if it is the same, the best feature of these tuners is the ability to update the CALID flash files for the PCM/TCM. As soon as I get the recall done, it's back to the SC with the ATT App. IMO, it's worth its weight in gold, and makes the 545RFE into a whole new tranny. With the proper shift schedules for my cam, it also now delivers better fuel economy than the DS does. One thing that is different.....I do get a little more "mid load" knock retard with the SC than I do with the DS. I think the SC runs a little more timing through the mid-range than the DS does.

I also have both tuners for my Hemi LX, and SC doesn't offer the ATT App. for the NAG1 transmission, so I run the DS tuner on it, exclusively. Hmm, maybe I should check for recent updates and try the SC on it again, since I also changed the cam in it.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
nickwk08

Not to change the subject here, but i recently got rid of my 2000 4.slow and picked up an 08 Limited Hemi. Needless to say, I'm in love. I have been doing some research on intakes, exhausts, and chips as well and saw this as a perfect opportunity to piggyback on a thread and get some info. I am leaning towards the AirAid intake and the superchips tuner to match. I'm looking to get rid of the throttle lag in my Hemi, liven her up a bit, and if I can control the skinny pedal, would also like to pick up some fuel econ. Has anyone seen any difference in econ. with an intake and chip, and how much of a power difference am I actually looking at if I go with the SC chip? How noticeable will the power be? And most importantly am I making my trans a ticking time bomb? I had enough trans problems with my 2000 42RE and I do not want to ruin this gorgeous Hemi with only 48k on her
nickwk08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwk08 View Post
Not to change the subject here, but i recently got rid of my 2000 4.slow and picked up an 08 Limited Hemi. Needless to say, I'm in love. I have been doing some research on intakes, exhausts, and chips as well and saw this as a perfect opportunity to piggyback on a thread and get some info. I am leaning towards the AirAid intake and the superchips tuner to match. I'm looking to get rid of the throttle lag in my Hemi, liven her up a bit, and if I can control the skinny pedal, would also like to pick up some fuel econ. Has anyone seen any difference in econ. with an intake and chip, and how much of a power difference am I actually looking at if I go with the SC chip? How noticeable will the power be? And most importantly am I making my trans a ticking time bomb? I had enough trans problems with my 2000 42RE and I do not want to ruin this gorgeous Hemi with only 48k on her
Don't expect any tuner to give you much more fuel economy. You'll see numbers around 12Hwy and that's pretty much normal. I noticed no difference with my intake and tuner. Just a power increase and that's sweet to not lose MPG's but still see power.

If there's any "Basic" mod you'll see power from, it's a tuner. You will notice a difference if you use any plug & play tuner even on a stock vehicle.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

I'd suggest starting out with the Superchips and then moving forward from there. They recently replaced the old part number 3875 with a new model, which is the 3870. It's got a faster processor and better menus. I have it on special right now so PM me if you'd like a price.

Quote:
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Like other's have said, it's best to start with a programmer for the best power gains across the board. They have set tunes, or you can create your own with the advanced transmission tuning app. This is great for changing shift points, and increasing/decreasing the torque management settings. But be careful with that, some have had transmission troubles by changing things around too much. It's best to either have a professional look at it, or at least someone who knows what they're doing. If you make minor changes on your own that's fine. But do your research before doing so.

On a second note, I would advise against an air intake. At least until you do your exhaust as well. Which is always recommended with the Hemi. The power gains from an intake alone will be minimal. You'd be better off getting a bored 85mm throttle body. There's a great one from modern muscle I have on my jeep. It's as simple as swapping the old one out for the new. No additional tuning needed. You could throw a K&N air filter in your stock intake for now to save some cash. The only intake I know that does give proficient power increases is from bwoody. And those are mainly used on SRT-8's or clones. If you do all those things, your jeep will feel like a whole different beast
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Rather than "jack" this thread, we should probably start a new thread on all this. But, once again, I'll add some of my so called experience, FWIW. If you look at my mods. you'll see, I've been there and done that with almost everything being talked about here. I would highly recommend anyone with a "new to them" Hemi get a catch can and clean the back side of the throttle body, before anything else. The tuner should be the second (or later) thing.

First, the 545RFE can be made into a fairly decent transmission. In its stock form, it sucks, IMO. I first added the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, which helped quite a bit on WOT runs, but not too noticeable around town with the stock shift/torque schedules. It increases the pressure by ~20-30 PSI (IIRC), which in turn increases clamping pressure on the clutches....helps prolong clutch life, especially if you're doing a bunch of WOT runs all the time, like I do. Next the ATT App. in the SC tuner takes it over the top, if set up properly. IMO, the biggest aid in setting it up is to make notes on what you don't like (and want to change), then graph the stock shift schedules and the shift schedules the way you want them. The only real thing you have to be aware of is not to overlap the up/downshifts for the same gear. I understand it won't let you do that, but I've never had that issue. I got mine real close the first time I tried it, using this method. Even now, after about 2 years, I still tweak the settings from time to time. Torque management is also your preference, and I just lowered mine in ~10-15% increments until I was happy with the shift firmness. Also, if you don't know when the fluid/filters were last changed, do it so you know for sure.

As far as CAI's go, don't waste your money. The stock airbox is more than capable of handling any airflow the stock (or relatively stock) Hemi can process. The stock 5.7 Hemi with a volumetric efficiency of ~75-80% is only capable of processing ~500 CFM, at best. The stock airbox can process almost 700 CFM. What you do here is the "drain cup" mod. which entails removing the drain cup in the bottom of the airbox, and running an aluminum tube (Home Depot) from it to somewhere behind the grill. Be sure to punch a small hole at the lowest point so you still have the drain. Somewhere on here I have a pix of this setup. Next, either get an SRT8 or Airaid Jr. intake tube, and ditch the big old stock silencer, and the one in the fenderwell. I have one if anyone needs it. Finally, add a good K and N or Trueflow filter. On my WK I use a modified LX SRT8 airbox (mounts on the opposite side on an LX), an extended LX SRT8 intake tube, and a K and N. On my Hemi LX I run the same setup, except use the stock filter (I have several I need to get rid of) when driving around town and a Trueflow when I go racing.

On the throttle body, IMO, save your money, as driviing around town my BBK true 85mm throttle body makes absolutely no difference in anything. If you're dying to spend money on a throttle body for a stock 5.7, go with the Modern Muscle multi-sized setup. It changes sizes before and after the butterfly, but the butterfly is still the stock 80mm. If I had an extra $400 laying around I would maybe give that a try on my LX, but it'll be the last thing I do. Remember the same 80mm throttle body is used on the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines, so obviously it is more than adequate on the 5.7. Also remember, bigger is not always better. As an example, you don't want to put an 900 CFM capable TB on an engine that can only process 500 CFM. It'll perform worse than stock.

On the exhaust, again be careful. The biggest bottleneck is the stock exhaust "log" type manifolds. If you're on a budget, IMO, this is what I recommend you try: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-7-wk-1174042/ After that, add a good 3 in. straight through cat. back with a resonator.....unless you want the "MDS drone". All these things, along with the tuner will probably gain you maybe ~30-35 hp. and make it a lot more fun to drive.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Rather than "jack" this thread, we should probably start a new thread on all this. But, once again, I'll add some of my so called experience, FWIW. If you look at my mods. you'll see, I've been there and done that with almost everything being talked about here. I would highly recommend anyone with a "new to them" Hemi get a catch can and clean the back side of the throttle body, before anything else. The tuner should be the second (or later) thing.

First, the 545RFE can be made into a fairly decent transmission. In its stock form, it sucks, IMO. I first added the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, which helped quite a bit on WOT runs, but not too noticeable around town with the stock shift/torque schedules. It increases the pressure by ~20-30 PSI (IIRC), which in turn increases clamping pressure on the clutches....helps prolong clutch life, especially if you're doing a bunch of WOT runs all the time, like I do. Next the ATT App. in the SC tuner takes it over the top, if set up properly. IMO, the biggest aid in setting it up is to make notes on what you don't like (and want to change), then graph the stock shift schedules and the shift schedules the way you want them. The only real thing you have to be aware of is not to overlap the up/downshifts for the same gear. I understand it won't let you do that, but I've never had that issue. I got mine real close the first time I tried it, using this method. Even now, after about 2 years, I still tweak the settings from time to time. Torque management is also your preference, and I just lowered mine in ~10-15% increments until I was happy with the shift firmness. Also, if you don't know when the fluid/filters were last changed, do it so you know for sure.

As far as CAI's go, don't waste your money. The stock airbox is more than capable of handling any airflow the stock (or relatively stock) Hemi can process. The stock 5.7 Hemi with a volumetric efficiency of ~75-80% is only capable of processing ~500 CFM, at best. The stock airbox can process almost 700 CFM. What you do here is the "drain cup" mod. which entails removing the drain cup in the bottom of the airbox, and running an aluminum tube (Home Depot) from it to somewhere behind the grill. Be sure to punch a small hole at the lowest point so you still have the drain. Somewhere on here I have a pix of this setup. Next, either get an SRT8 or Airaid Jr. intake tube, and ditch the big old stock silencer, and the one in the fenderwell. I have one if anyone needs it. Finally, add a good K and N or Trueflow filter. On my WK I use a modified LX SRT8 airbox (mounts on the opposite side on an LX), an extended LX SRT8 intake tube, and a K and N. On my Hemi LX I run the same setup, except use the stock filter (I have several I need to get rid of) when driving around town and a Trueflow when I go racing.

On the throttle body, IMO, save your money, as driviing around town my BBK true 85mm throttle body makes absolutely no difference in anything. If you're dying to spend money on a throttle body for a stock 5.7, go with the Modern Muscle multi-sized setup. It changes sizes before and after the butterfly, but the butterfly is still the stock 80mm. If I had an extra $400 laying around I would maybe give that a try on my LX, but it'll be the last thing I do. Remember the same 80mm throttle body is used on the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines, so obviously it is more than adequate on the 5.7. Also remember, bigger is not always better. As an example, you don't want to put an 900 CFM capable TB on an engine that can only process 500 CFM. It'll perform worse than stock.

On the exhaust, again be careful. The biggest bottleneck is the stock exhaust "log" type manifolds. If you're on a budget, IMO, this is what I recommend you try: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-7-wk-1174042/ After that, add a good 3 in. straight through cat. back with a resonator.....unless you want the "MDS drone". All these things, along with the tuner will probably gain you maybe ~30-35 hp. and make it a lot more fun to drive.
Awesome info here^^

90, do you have anymore info (Videos, pictures, write-ups) pertaining to the Sonnax? I've been kicking the idea around on that thing.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Shafer57 and others, I started another thread on all this stuff called, "Making the Hemi Better". Let's all quit jacking this thread and start a new discussion. See you over there.
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Ok, so after sitting on the phone with superchips customer support, I finally got the Advanced Transmission Tune app to install to my tuner.

I got all excited, went outside, and then got instantly confused. I have no idea where to start.

If someone could post their setting on the ATT app so I can kind of compare to my stock settings that would be great. The little graph is just a little confusing, and I don't want to just start changing random stuff.

EDIT:
Also, seeing as how the superchip has an 87 tune and a 91 tune, but no 93 tune. And you can't find 91 octane like ANYWHERE in Michigan. Can I use 93 oct with the 91 performance tune?
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.