Superchip flashpaq 3872, worth it? 5.7 Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Superchip flashpaq 3872, worth it? 5.7 Hemi

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 10-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Aclow33
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sault, Mi
Posts: 177
Superchip flashpaq 3872, worth it? 5.7 Hemi

So I can get the Superchip tuner for $300 and I'm just wondering if it's worth getting. I'm wanting to get better gas mileage as I'm only getting about 10.5 city. And also adjust the tire size and turn off the TPMS light.

Aclow33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 995
Don't buy it for better mileage. It'll take forever to pay for itself in that regard.

Buy it because you want it. Be it for power, tuning or other features.
__________________
Tint, Superchips, SRT intake tube, Gibson catback, catch can. One hardcore DD/kid hauler...yeah.
caulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
90grandoneer
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: City of Trees
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Don't buy it for better mileage. It'll take forever to pay for itself in that regard.

Buy it because you want it. Be it for power, tuning or other features.
X2. For me, one of the other features make it worthwhile, specifically the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application. If it weren't for that one feature, I'd be using my Diablosport Predator instead. What is the problem with your TPMS? If there is a problem with it....i.e.you've changed TPMS Sensors and now have a light, the Superchips won't help you. Also, if you're only getting 10.5 mpg in town, you may have other problems, unless it is totally stop and go with long idling periods.
__________________
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Aclow33
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sault, Mi
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
X2. For me, one of the other features make it worthwhile, specifically the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application. If it weren't for that one feature, I'd be using my Diablosport Predator instead. What is the problem with your TPMS? If there is a problem with it....i.e.you've changed TPMS Sensors and now have a light, the Superchips won't help you. Also, if you're only getting 10.5 mpg in town, you may have other problems, unless it is totally stop and go with long idling periods.
After reading some of the stuff you posted about this I was hoping you'd chime in.
The TPMS in my 2014 Rubicons dont read and the light is always on.

Now if I was to get 13 mpg city with some tuning of the Superchip it'd pay itself off in about 5000 miles
Using 10000 miles as an example, it would cost my $3350 to go 10K miles @ 10.5mpg, @$3.35/gallon
..........................................., it would cost me $2577 to go 10K miles @ 13mpg @ $3.35/gallon..
saving me $773...

Still following me? LOL


But you say it wont help at all to get a little bit better gas mileage?
Aclow33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
brianj08
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warwick, RI
Posts: 243
yea... there is no way your going to get that much of a MPG increase with the tuner, someone can correct me if I am wrong though. At best you will probably see +1 mpg tops
brianj08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Fast55
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ventura, Ca.
Posts: 92
I've tried most of the tuning options. The 87 or 89 octane tunes are best for overall power and mileage. I gained about 1 mpg average since buying the tuner a few months ago. Mostly it's there to clear the codes and I used it to kill the MDS, it was pretty clunky going in and out of 4 cyl. mode after the tuning. Much more noticeable than when it was bone stock. You need to adjust for bigger tires too.
__________________
2010 WK Limited
Hemi, Volant, Superchips 3872, Sonnax, Stillens, Bilsteins, LED's,
More coming
Fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Aclow33
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sault, Mi
Posts: 177
Ok let's make this simple, do any of you guys regret buying the tuner?
Aclow33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
90grandoneer
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: City of Trees
Posts: 1,859
No, I don't regret buying the tuners.....I have both the Superchips and Diablosport Tuners for both my Hemi vehicles. I think what everyone is saying is that you won't see a drastic improvement in fuel economy, especially after you first install the tunes. All of a sudden your foot will magically become much heavier on the skinny pedal. Like Fast55 has done, if/when you get one, you should definitely try the different tunes (I'd do each for a month or so) to see which works the best for you. Also, not all fuels are created equal, so you'll see differences in different brands and grades. Personally, even with my mods. (at altitudes around 5000-6000 ft.), I've gotten all my best mileage using 85/87 fuel when using the SC 93 (or is it 91) tune.

I think the first thing I'd do is make sure all the engine, tune related items are up to snuff.....spark plugs, PCV Valve, MAP Sensor, O2 Sensors, etc. Also, if you don't have one, get a catch can and clean the back side of the throttle body. If you have over about 75K on the 06, I'd probably just change the O2's, unless you have a way to monitor them and verify they are good. I uses DashHawks on both my vehicles to monitor all key functions. As far as the catch can goes, I just got back from an almost 1800 mile trip in the WK and had about a quarter inch of mayonaise (oil and condensation) in it. Without the catch can, all that crap would have been run through the combustion cycle.

On your TPMS Sensor problem, the first thing you need to do is have each sensor read with a TPMS diagnostic/reset tool. This will tell you if the sensors are good and what frequency they are. For the 06 you'll need to have the 315 mhz ones. If the ones you have on the new wheels are 433 mhz, obviously they won't work. Do you have the "base" or "premium" TPMS system on yours? The base system just gives you a light telling you a tire is low; the premium system reads all 4 wheel positions and displays their pressures on the EVIC.

One other thing, again like Fast55 said, you'll for sure need to compensate if you have bigger tires. A tuner is the only way you can do that, unless you take it to the stealer. I use a GPS, along with the tuner to adjust my speedometer/odometer.

Edit: You current tires are almost 3 inches larger in diameter than the stock tires, so your speedo/odo will be way off.....about 6 mph. Your indicated distance will be much less than actual.
__________________
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Fast55
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ventura, Ca.
Posts: 92
^

This.

You always wish for more from a tuner, but in the end it's still worth it.
__________________
2010 WK Limited
Hemi, Volant, Superchips 3872, Sonnax, Stillens, Bilsteins, LED's,
More coming
Fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #10
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,056
PM me if you'd like pricing for the Superchips

But how long have you owned your WK and has the mileage always been that low? How many miles on the odometer?
__________________
Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
murderedoutGC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: , NC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
PM me if you'd like pricing for the Superchips

But how long have you owned your WK and has the mileage always been that low? How many miles on the odometer?

Man I get like 12 mpg in mine(killing me).....



The magnaflow sounds pretty good, has a little more drone than I wanted but not near as bad as my flowmaster was. I do want to hear it from the outside tho to compare it to a muscle car sound or just a truck with exhaust.


Im slowly putting together a list of things between my jeep and my mothers to order........stay tuned.
__________________
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
brianj08
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warwick, RI
Posts: 243
I am debating whether or not I should get a Superchips tuner for my 2005 WK Limited 4.7L V8 that I just put some 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2's on as well as already have the Magnaflow muffler and polished resonated tip from Kolak. Will it make the exhaust sound anymore agressive or differently with the tuner versus not using the tuner? I would like a little bit more acceleration to get up to speed quicker, I feel that alone would help MPG's..
brianj08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
BlackPrintz
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canning, NS
Posts: 97
Not to dispute what's been posted, but after 90grandoneer's article about improving fuel economy, I purchased the Superchips 3872 from Kolak (best price you'll probably find). I did the adjustment for tire size which meant an automatic ~6.5% improvement in economy based on the EVIC. Over the past few weeks with almost all highway driving (using cruise mostly), my fuel economy has gone from a previous average of 15 USmpg to an average of 18.75 USmpg (hand calculated). Based on this, the Tuner has increased my economy another 17%. I am using the 87 octane economy tune. I haven't done anything with the transmission tune yet, but shifts feel different (very abrupt) and my rpm at 100kph (62mph) are now 1550 vs a previous 1750 rpm. As far as the TPMS goes, there are 2 options available. The stock tune allows you to lower the TPMS threshold to 22psi, but the Off-Road tune (Free Download from Superchips) allows you to turn the sensor info On/Off. I commute approximately 200 miles, 3 times a week to my office, and all I know, is that the tuner will pay for itself in short order. I really haven't noticed any change in performance, but I'm not driving with my foot in it either, unless I need to.
__________________
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
murderedoutGC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: , NC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj08 View Post
I am debating whether or not I should get a Superchips tuner for my 2005 WK Limited 4.7L V8 that I just put some 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2's on as well as already have the Magnaflow muffler and polished resonated tip from Kolak. Will it make the exhaust sound anymore agressive or differently with the tuner versus not using the tuner? I would like a little bit more acceleration to get up to speed quicker, I feel that alone would help MPG's..
I haven't heard mine from the outside yet but if it sounds like it does from me hearing it while driving, I wouldn't mind getting a little more growl(srt-ish) out of it.
__________________
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Fast55
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ventura, Ca.
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPrintz View Post
Not to dispute what's been posted, but after 90grandoneer's article about improving fuel economy, I purchased the Superchips 3872 from Kolak (best price you'll probably find). I did the adjustment for tire size which meant an automatic ~6.5% improvement in economy based on the EVIC. Over the past few weeks with almost all highway driving (using cruise mostly), my fuel economy has gone from a previous average of 15 USmpg to an average of 18.75 USmpg (hand calculated). Based on this, the Tuner has increased my economy another 17%. I am using the 87 octane economy tune. I haven't done anything with the transmission tune yet, but shifts feel different (very abrupt) and my rpm at 100kph (62mph) are now 1550 vs a previous 1750 rpm. As far as the TPMS goes, there are 2 options available. The stock tune allows you to lower the TPMS threshold to 22psi, but the Off-Road tune (Free Download from Superchips) allows you to turn the sensor info On/Off. I commute approximately 200 miles, 3 times a week to my office, and all I know, is that the tuner will pay for itself in short order. I really haven't noticed any change in performance, but I'm not driving with my foot in it either, unless I need to.
I hate to point out the obvious, but you did not get an immediate increase in mileage of 6.5%. What you got, was a 6.5% more accurate display. Now I'm not sure if you're basing your previous avg. of 15 MPG on the display or actual miles/gallons, but 15 to 18.75 MPG equals a 20% increase, and that's hard to believe unless you're also going from normal driving to all out mileage runs. Finally, the tuner didn't re-gear your truck, so unless you were driving with OD off before and now you're running with it on, your RPMs would not drop at highway speeds. If it did, then I think you have the answer on why your mileage is so much better.
__________________
2010 WK Limited
Hemi, Volant, Superchips 3872, Sonnax, Stillens, Bilsteins, LED's,
More coming
Fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.