^^^^ Ouch. I had this same problem. I didn't know I had it at first and went through an automatic car wash.....Had no where to go and it flooded my cabin area. I was told by a sunroof company that I would have to have the motor replaced because once they lose calibration, they tend to lose it again even after the reset. He said it would cost about 1,500 to put in a new one. I said hell no, and tried the calibration method. It took me several tries before I got it to work. It's been over 6 months, and it still works flawlessly.
Here's the one that worked for me:
1. Place the ignition switch to RUN position.
2. Close all of the doors.
3. Press and hold the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).
4. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.
5. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position (this will be a tad bit higher than the standard vent position), press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch immediately, press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.
6. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times (I used 8 just to play it safe). The sunroof will now be in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...