Sunroof Software Re-install - Grand Cherokee 2008 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Sunroof Software Re-install - Grand Cherokee 2008

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
cthompson86

Sunroof Software Re-install - Grand Cherokee 2008

Recently I had the pleasure of finding out there was a very small gap (~.2 inch) between the rear of my sunroof and my roof during a ride through the car wash. I took my jeep to the Jeep dealership where they told me that the software was corrupted and they could not re-calibrate the roof, thus, I am forced to fork over $1100 for a new sunroof.

With that being said, I was wondering if there was any way to re-install the software or anything else I can do besides taking out a second loan for a new sun roof.

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions

cthompson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

That just doesn't make sense...if its a software issue hen what good would new hardware be?? Wouldn't a flash solve the crrupt file? I would ask another dealer.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using JeepForum
Silver WK Club Member #21

2007 Jeep Compass (sold)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited 4d (current)
2012 Dodge Durango (current)
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
mailforjon
2005 WK 

that sounds like total BS to me.

i would definitely get a second opinion on ANYTHING anyone tells you to do with the jeep. ive gotten just as much bad information from dealer techs as i have from regular mechanics.

some of the older model sunroofs (ZJ/WJ) had torx head adjustment screws that mounted the glass to the track. i took my glass off a couple of times (once to be replaced) and had to adjust the fit just a tad so that it closed properly. my WK is with my wife today, so i cant go look at it, but i was guess it must be similar. take a close look at how/where the glass attaches to the tracks.

edit: i just looked this up in the FSM. there is a section addressing how to adjust the glass panel and it is very similar to what i mentioned above. there are some adjustment screws behind that black accordion shaped piece of plastic covering the track. if you want to send me a PM, i will send you the page from the FSM addressing this. just so you know, nowhere in the FSM does it mention that there is a software recalibration for adjusting the sunroof. it all appears to be done manually. then again, i am looking at the FSM for a 2005, not sure if the 2008 is drastically different.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Tudds
1998 ZJ 

Can you email me it? Toniorusso@gmAil.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailforjon View Post
that sounds like total BS to me.

i would definitely get a second opinion on ANYTHING anyone tells you to do with the jeep. ive gotten just as much bad information from dealer techs as i have from regular mechanics.

some of the older model sunroofs (ZJ/WJ) had torx head adjustment screws that mounted the glass to the track. i took my glass off a couple of times (once to be replaced) and had to adjust the fit just a tad so that it closed properly. my WK is with my wife today, so i cant go look at it, but i was guess it must be similar. take a close look at how/where the glass attaches to the tracks.

edit: i just looked this up in the FSM. there is a section addressing how to adjust the glass panel and it is very similar to what i mentioned above. there are some adjustment screws behind that black accordion shaped piece of plastic covering the track. if you want to send me a PM, i will send you the page from the FSM addressing this. just so you know, nowhere in the FSM does it mention that there is a software recalibration for adjusting the sunroof. it all appears to be done manually. then again, i am looking at the FSM for a 2005, not sure if the 2008 is drastically different.
Tudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
mailforjon
2005 WK 

email sent

-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Tudds
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailforjon View Post
email sent
I got an email asking if I wanted the pages but I never got the attachment
Stupid jeep didnt leak a drop during the hurricane. a little rain and
It's leaking all over. Does anyone know how to access the sunroof drains
From under the car?
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudds View Post
I got an email asking if I wanted the pages but I never got the attachment
Stupid jeep didnt leak a drop during the hurricane. a little rain and
It's leaking all over. Does anyone know how to access the sunroof drains
From under the car?
Sorry, send it again, i already have the sunroof pages ready to send you.

i'm not sure where the drains actually exit the body, but if they are clogged, it is most likely nearer to the sunroof. there should be drain tubes that catch water from the sunroof and send it down the A-piller. i think if you take the A-piller off you can see them. you should blow some compressed air through the tubes

-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Tudds
1998 ZJ 

Toniorusso@gmail.com
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
carangelover
2007 WK 

try this instead. I just tried it on my 2007 grand cherokee. Worked like a charm.
7. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.

9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
carangelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
98jgc
2005 WK 

This is a perfect example of why forums are great.
98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carangelover
try this instead. I just tried it on my 2007 grand cherokee. Worked like a charm.
7. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.

9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
That's a handy piece of info right there
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
croth
2005 WK 

Carangleover, your the man!!

Just went out and followed your instructions on my '05 and it worked like a charm!!

Wish every fix was this easy.

Thanks again man!
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
modernblueWK

Ive tried that on mine but it wont vent open.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
carangelover
2007 WK 

modernblueWK try disconnecting the negative on your battery for about 5 - 10 mins. I believe this resets the BCM and PCM. Should let you vent after that.
carangelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
croth
2005 WK 

It was interesting to watch the little dance the sunroof did while I was holding the vent button down for 5+ seconds. Moved up and down about a half inch oh probably 4 times then stopped. I let up on the button when movement did stop, the cycled it probably 10 times like you said and it closed perfectly. Absolutely dead nuts flush.

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , sunroof

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.