JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Sunroof Leaking (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sunroof-leaking-1515777/)

whitedragon551 04-28-2013 01:54 PM

Sunroof Leaking

Let me preface this with this is my first Jeep. Ive wanted one for a long time and recently got a new job and needed a second vehicle leading up to my purchase of a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

I searched around the forum and from what I was able to find my situation is kind of unique.

Its been raining basically all week since Ive bought my Jeep. It was raining when I test drove it and didnt find any water up there. The sunroof cover also hasnt been wet all week during the rain.

I jumped in the Jeep to go pick up some pizza for lunch and the cover from the inside was wet around the handle and toward the front of the vehicle along the edge. I pushed it back and couldnt really find any water in the cover or around the edges. I put my hand up there and found a piece of foam tape about 16-18" long that was lose and basically not stuck to anything.

Any ideas on what would cause this sudden leak?

whitedragon551 04-28-2013 03:15 PM

I may have been premature. The rain has been picking up. Driver side A pillar is wet about quarter size just above where the plastic starts. Grabbed a nice heavy duty air compressor and threw nice stepped metal bit on it and put the nozzle in the hole. We will see how it goes. If not the dealer can fix it since it has a warranty on it.

Shafer57 04-28-2013 09:35 PM

This fixed my leak. Not my words just copied and paste.

7. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.

9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

whitedragon551 04-28-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15361712)

10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch

11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the

12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode

Where was yours leaking at? Mine is the front edge of the cover and the top of the A Pillar on the drivers side.

Shafer57 04-29-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitedragon551 (Post 15361736)
Where was yours leaking at? Mine is the front edge of the cover and the top of the A Pillar on the drivers side.

Literally water everywhere. Both A pillars, top of roof by sunglasses holder, and far rear as well.

Jaashua 04-29-2013 08:55 AM

Unique problem? Lol it is probably the most common problem with our jeep.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum

whitedragon551 04-29-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15362512)
Literally water everywhere. Both A pillars, top of roof by sunglasses holder, and far rear as well.

Mine is only the front of the Sunroof cover and the driver side A Pillar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaashua (Post 15363099)
Unique problem? Lol it is probably the most common problem with our jeep.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum

I said unique because of the location. At first it was only the front of the sunroof cover. I was premature in my thread creation.

At this point I blew out both drain holes in the front of the sunroof and did the recalibration on the drive home from work. We shall see how things go. I may take it to a car wash just to see what happens.

Brownbomber2 05-05-2013 03:37 PM

There are drain lines that go from the sunroof forward and down through the pillars down and through the floor. Mine on the drivers side was not routed through the floor allowing the water to collect in the floorboard of the drivers side. Another problem, is when the lines get clogged, people sometimes try to blow through them with and airhose. This can blow the end loose at the sunroof, causing the water to drain and collect in the pillar post and leak. Seems to be a common occurence with these jeeps.

whitedragon551 05-11-2013 02:48 PM

I took a closer look. I pulled the pillar off and the hose appears to be brand new. There is a black plastic piece at the rear of the sunroof that looks like its supposed to slide. However one side has a plastic tab on it about 3-4" and isnt connected to anything. The other side is broken off and it doesnt stay aligned. It looks like a plastic drip tray that drains into the front water guides to the front drains.

Can someone take a look at theirs and see where these are connected?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...pse51b86e5.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps8036a621.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...psfdd5a71f.jpg

AMXJ 06-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15361712)

Ever since we got my wifes 2010 GC last Dec. I have felt that sunroof looked like it sat low in the roof. The last time I washed it I noticed a drip of water comming from the right side A piller at the little screw access cover. Last night when I got home I went through the re-callibration steps posted above and now the sunroof sits up flush with the roof panel, big difference! I'll see if that fixed the leak next time I wash it.

Thanks you! to Shafer57 and whoever originally posted the Jeep Tech bulletin information on this problem.

:cheers2:
Dennis

07greygoose 06-13-2013 06:50 AM

Went through this wife my wife's 05 WK. Water was coming in through the from map lights and sunglass holder when parked facing downhill and when parked facing uphill there was water coming out of the back cargo area. Took it to Galeana here in Columbia and they fixed it under warranty. Apparently, the roof was misaligned and was letting in too much water causing trash and other debris to clog up both drain lines. Luckily I was able to dry up all the water each time and we didn't end up with any mildew problems.

whitedragon551 06-15-2013 06:29 AM

Got the Jeep back yesterday. They couldnt find the leak at first and dropped the headliner to make sure everything was intact. They cleaned out all the drain tubes and aligned the sunroof and checked all the components. They put it in the car wash for a few hours and no leaks now.

jpc1966 08-07-2013 06:18 PM

Results!

The "Sunroof obstacle detection" fix works. See below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc1966 (Post 15764162)
I just did this today and it worked like a charm on my 06 GC LTD 5.7. :2thumbsup:

--------------------------

I found it here in another post. I'll try to find the name of the original poster and give credit where credit is due.

--------------------------

Adjusting Sunroof obstacle detection thresholds

1. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.

2. Close all of the doors.

3. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

4. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

5. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

6. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. (I lost count of how many times I opened and closed it so I can tell you that more than 7 times doesn't hurt anything.) The sunroof is now in customer mode with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

I hope this works for you too.

___
John

Sorry no profile info yet. My old account didn't work :rantscream: so I had to re-sign up :rolleyes: to post this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc1966 (Post 15768526)
I just went through the car wash where I went last week and got to see just how many different places water cold pour through. This time NO LEAKS! 100% leak free. :2thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc1966 (Post 15768569)
As I stated above, I want to give credit to the guy, Shafer57 :thumbsup:, that posted this fix for me to stumble across.

Here it is:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...aking-1515777/

BurmaJack 08-08-2013 01:41 AM

There is a vid in the thread below that can help reduce leaking - or should I say increase drainage flow. Its post #2. Its on a commander but should work on the WK as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...drain-1537511/

jpc1966 08-09-2013 09:10 AM

Reduce leaking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurmaJack (Post 15769979)
There is a vid in the thread below that can help reduce leaking - or should I say increase drainage flow. Its post #2. Its on a commander but should work on the WK as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...drain-1537511/

What leaking? The "Adjusting Sunroof obstacle detection thresholds" fix solved the issue completely for me.

Basically, what was happening was the sunroof wasn't closing all the way when it was out of adjustment. If you looked at the roof of the vehicle the back edge of the sunroof was not lined up the way it should have been. It was actually lower by about 1/16"-1/8". From inside the vehicle you could actually push the glass up to where it was supposed to be, but the mechanism wouldn't hold it in place. When the glass isn't lined up correctly it's not allowing the seal on it's outer edge to do it's job and we had leaks. Now that it's been adjusted, it's sealed correctly and no more leaks. There is even less wind noise at highway speeds. ...or occasionally considerably higher than posted speeds.

Thanks for the link though. :thumbsup: I plan on cleaning up the sunroof drains this weekend to keep things tidy up there like they should be.

The time now is 04:05 PM.