Sunroof leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Sunroof leak

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
CUcommander21

Sunroof leak

Has anyone had problems with a sunroof leak on a commander ? Advice ? Thanks

CUcommander21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Grimm18

YouTube "Jeep Sunroof Leaking"

Couple guys do a good video of how the catch tray over flows because the two drain holes at the from corners of the sunroof get plugged and or the drain hose the runs through the "A" pilar gets plugged at the bottom under your foot well.

Simple fix.

Grimm18
Grimm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
jpc1966
2006 WK 

Leaky Sunroof Fixed

I just did this today and it worked like a charm on my 06 GC LTD 5.7.

--------------------------

I found it here in another post. I'll try to find the name of the original poster and give credit where credit is due.

Adjusting Sunroof obstacle detection thresholds

1. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.

2. Close all of the doors.

3. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

4. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

5. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

6. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. (I lost count of how many times I opened and closed it so I can tell you that more than 7 times doesn't hurt anything.) The sunroof is now in customer mode with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

I hope this works for you too.

___
John

Sorry no profile info yet. My old account didn't work so I had to re-sign up to post this.
jpc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
bigpav7

just cleaned out the drain holes and the hoses this past weekend. As other have said, just check youtube. I followed one of the videos and got both sides done in about an hour, including blow-drying the carpet. good luck!
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Shafer57
2006 WK 

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1966 View Post

I found it here in another post. I'll try to find the name of the original poster and give credit where credit is due.

4. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

5. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

6. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. (I lost count of how many times I opened and closed it so I can tell you that more than 7 times doesn't hurt anything.) The sunroof is now in customer mode with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

___
John

Sorry no profile info yet. My old account didn't work so I had to re-sign up to post this.
^^THIS

Saved my a**. Found this fix immediately following hurricane Sandy
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
jpc1966
2006 WK 

Just tested...

I just went through the car wash where I went last week and got to see just how many different places water cold pour through. This time NO LEAKS! 100% leak free.
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
jpc1966
2006 WK 

Kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1966 View Post

___
John

As I stated above, I want to give credit to the guy, Shafer57, that posted this fix for me to stumble across.

Here it is:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...aking-1515777/
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
jpc1966
2006 WK 

Ah, man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
^^THIS

Saved my a**. Found this fix immediately following hurricane Sandy
I just caught the word "following" in your post. Wow! That sucks. Sounds like my kind of luck.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Hah, thanks man, this forum is a life saver on so many levels.

Quick story of the wonderful hurricane.

I live outside of Philadelphia so we saw mainly rain with some good gusts of wind 50+. I was forced to make a run for it to my truck to get the always needed for days inside, Taco Bell, as soon as I jumped in the truck and started backing out of my driveway it sounded like a bucket of water just fell over in the back of the truck.

I look in my rearview and water is literally POURING out of the headboard, and down onto the floor by the back hatch. As soon as I hit my brakes, it all splashed forward and came down through my glasses holder, and A-Pillars. Now my sunroof had always had a small leak which ran down the front A-pillars, but never was it exposed to this much rain. I ended up parking the truck at my dads house in his garage to prevent further damage. At the end of the day Jeeps dry out nicely, and there are absolutely NO sign of water damage to the headboard/roof, I got lucky.

And thanks to those quick ReCalib. instructions I was able to solve this mess without major repair!
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.