Okay, so like many others, I have had leaking issues with my drain hose. At first, I did the nozzle mod, by cutting off the nozzle at the end of the drain hose, that seemed to fix the issue with most debris.
My next issue only came in the winter, with freeze/thaw/freeze cycles. It would snow, the snow would melt, then it would snow again, it would cause ice to build up inside the tube, and then flood over the drain tray.
So this year I decided to see if I could fix it. I went to Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) and bought some 7/16" OD & 5/16" ID clear PVC tubing, and ran it from the upper front drain of the sunroof, down to the floor drain. On the 2008 Jeep WK, there is also supposedly a rear drivers side drain (I believe on the XK, it is a front passenger side drain), I haven't messed with that one yet.
It's a rather easy mod to do. You can take off the drivers side sunvisor and then lower the headliner enough to see the drain tube, and stick your hand in to pull it out.
Tool wise, I needed a 10mm deep socket for the A-Pillar trim, and I believe it was an 8mm for the sunvisor (possibly 9mm).
A small (stubby works best) flat screw driver is needed to pop open the clips that are holding the stock drain tube. You can see the clips in the first picture, I put the new tube in the clips, but they wouldn't close. There are also 2, maybe 3, behind the dash that I couldn't get to, which is why I just coiled up the upper part of the old tube and stuffed it behind the dash. I left the lower part of it where it was.
I also forgot to take photos of the sunroof drain, sorry about that. So on to the pictures!
Coming from the Sunroof down the A-Pillar, there are clips for the old tube, wouldn't fit around the new tube.
Down between the dash and the A-Pillar
Fed it out through the side panel, you can see the old drain tube as well (mine is black, some peoples are blue). The new tube does a U-bend here, and follows the black tube (sorta). I also stuffed the rest of the old drain tube back behind where that panel goes, in case this mod doesn't work.
Trying to follow the path of the old drain tube as much as possible, goes back behind the dash and downwards, I had to stuff as much of the tube as I could to reach it from the bottom. You can see the wires in the background, those a lit up by a light under the dash, there is a sort of pathway you can follow when you feed the tube, towards those lit wires. Then you can reach up from under the dash and pull the tube through.
Feeding it behind the dash, and it comes out just to the left of brake pedal, and a bit behind the old tube.
Old tube normally feeds through that grommet.
Here is the grommet. If you haven't cut off the nozzle on the bottom part of it, I suggest you do it. It gets clogged easily.
Feed in the new tube
Pop it back into place.
Put everything back together, and tested it with a cup of water, works great.
So I poured a couple more cups of water down it, drained perfectly. Plus with it being clear, I can pop off that bottom panel to check for clogs periodically and be able to see any issues.
The true test will come around the end of January. I think that this new tube will work much better. It seems to have a slightly larger inner diameter, plus it is smooth, so less places for debris to sit and ice to form.
Edit: Forgot to add, over all (if you don't run into a problem taking the A-Pillar off, someone over-torqued mine), should only take about 1h to do the mod.