Sunroof Assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Sunroof Assembly

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
Sunroof Assembly

Anyone have any pictures of their sunroof assembly on a 2006 Laredo? I have a leak in mine and have stuck my head through the sun roof on several occasions to see where the water starts to leak.

Im looking for pictures of the tracks, seals, according seals on the left and right sides, and the front area of the sunroof where the drain tubes are supposed to be.

whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
nicknels
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Destin, Florida
Posts: 4
I have a 05 Limited and on my sunroof, after putting it all the way forward, I have to push the button that opens it to vent 2 times quickly to raise the sunroof about half an inch. If I don't do that, my sunroof leaks. If you look at it from the outside, your sunroof should be level with the roof of your car.
nicknels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
My sunroof sits flush. Its been adjusted under warranty. Im only looking for pictures at this time. I know exactly where it leaks. I want to verify everything is mechanically where it should be.
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
Anyone at all have pictures of the according pieces on the left and right side of the sunroof? Part numbers? And pictures of the front assembly from the front half of the sun roof?
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
modernblueWK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Posts: 1,904
All sunroofs let a little bit of water in. Are your drains clogged?

Google : "diy sunroof adjustment to eliminate wind noise"

Read that thread, pics included. It is on another jeep forum so the link wont work. I used it to adjust mine flush.
__________________
2008 WK 4.7 245/70-17 Grabber AT2 - Magnflow - JBA - G2 - Steel Armadillo - MLL's
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
All sunroofs let a little bit of water in. Are your drains clogged?

Google : "diy sunroof adjustment to eliminate wind noise"

Read that thread, pics included. It is on another jeep forum so the link wont work. I used it to adjust mine flush.
^^^ This. The sunroof design isn't such that is water tight.

That being said, it is supposed to seat properly/fully in the stowed position.

There is a thread or 2 around here somewhere addressing the procedure to self calibrate the fully closed position of the sunroof. Search "recalibrate sunroof." I used it quite some time ago - worked well.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
The sunroof does sit flush. The dealer adjusted it and I verified.

I have found where its leaking, but I want images to verify everything I have is in the correct place before I fix it myself as I can not guarantee mine is correct.
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
modernblueWK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Posts: 1,904
Why dont you post pics of the area you are concerned with? Then the BAB here can maybe shed some light.
__________________
2008 WK 4.7 245/70-17 Grabber AT2 - Magnflow - JBA - G2 - Steel Armadillo - MLL's
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
DaGriz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 8
When mine leaked it was the drain lines plugged.

Here's the recalibration for the sunroof to sit flush.

Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
Close all of the doors.

Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-
open position at least 7 complete times.

The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
DaGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Why dont you post pics of the area you are concerned with? Then the BAB here can maybe shed some light.
My OP lists exactly what Im looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGriz View Post
When mine leaked it was the drain lines plugged.

Here's the recalibration for the sunroof to sit flush.

Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
Close all of the doors.

Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-
open position at least 7 complete times.

The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
Your post is useless. Its already been stated twice in this thread that this has been done.
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
modernblueWK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Posts: 1,904
Your thread is dead.
__________________
2008 WK 4.7 245/70-17 Grabber AT2 - Magnflow - JBA - G2 - Steel Armadillo - MLL's
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Your thread is dead.
I see that.
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
CRCs_Reality
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 29
FWIW, I recalibrated the sunroof at least a dozen times when I had the same issue with my 2005.. I was positive it was the sunroof leaking, until I dropped the headliner so I could see EXACTLY where the water was coming in from when I ran the hose across the roof.

I was surprised to discover it was the seam where the A-Pillar meets the roof (right at the upper corners of the windshield), not enough seam sealer was applied from the factory. The sunroof (at least on mine) had never been the problem.
10 minutes with 'flowable' silicone windshield sealer and my issue went away completely.

Of course, YMMV.
__________________
2005 WK Limited, 5.7, QDII
Silver WK Club Member #116
CRCs_Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
whitedragon551
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCs_Reality View Post
FWIW, I recalibrated the sunroof at least a dozen times when I had the same issue with my 2005.. I was positive it was the sunroof leaking, until I dropped the headliner so I could see EXACTLY where the water was coming in from when I ran the hose across the roof.

I was surprised to discover it was the seam where the A-Pillar meets the roof (right at the upper corners of the windshield), not enough seam sealer was applied from the factory. The sunroof (at least on mine) had never been the problem.
10 minutes with 'flowable' silicone windshield sealer and my issue went away completely.

Of course, YMMV.
Already checked that. I can see where the headliner is getting wet, the according style gaskets on the sides arent connected at the bottom. Im curious if they are supposed to be. By function it looks like they shouldnt be when the sunroof is fully open.
whitedragon551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
CRCs_Reality
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 29
Mine are connected at the bottom, but it has nothing to do with the seal (at least on my '05)
__________________
2005 WK Limited, 5.7, QDII
Silver WK Club Member #116
CRCs_Reality is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.