Struts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Struts

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
cntryboy_88
2008 WK 

Struts

Trying to find out the difficulty of replacing struts on my 08 GC 3.7L has anyone ever done it...it seems like there is a lot that needs to be removed...about how long of a job is it

cntryboy_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryboy_88 View Post
Trying to find out the difficulty of replacing struts on my 08 GC 3.7L has anyone ever done it...it seems like there is a lot that needs to be removed...about how long of a job is it
Yes - several in here have swapped, upgraded, added to, yadayada their struts. Somewhat labor intensive when compared to the rear shocks but very manageable and doable by most anyone willing to give it a go. Give it a few hours start to finish depending on any snafus or troubles. PB Blaster, airtools, and spring compressor are make or break items. Some struggle with their clevis bolt but I've broken down my front suspension a couple times and never had issues.

Do some searching and you'll find several threads and posts on the subject.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

I did mine yesterday my myself + a pair of hands to pull out / put in the strut towers in 5 hours or less. Tho I must say this was my 4th time doing it. The first time it took 3 of us a whole day just to get the drivers side out. All in all I'd say if its your first time, take it to a shop or plan on a weekend.

Word to the wise: Buy a bushing and bolt for the lower driver's side control arm where the strut clevis mounts before you tear things apart. IF you too have the infamous seized bolt JeepN4KC speaks of, you will be prepared and can save a few hours by just cutting the thing out. The $10 for the bolt and $30 for the bushing is more than worth it.

Side note on the clevis bolt.
I'd say use this as a last resort. Repeated extension of that axel inside the clevis led to my CV boot getting torn. Me and my buddy have got it down to a science though to pop out the strut from the clevis leaving that infamous bolt alone by taking the clevis bolt out and prying down on the lower control arm to pop the strut out of it. Installation is reverse of removal, pull up on the LCA and "tap" the clevis with a hammer. It will eventually slide right down in.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.