Strange vibration..... '06 WK - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mp5ben
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
rutro
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Malakoff TX
Posts: 25
Strange vibration..... '06 WK

'06 WK limited w/130,00 +. This starts about 60-70 mph, just a vibration and I can't tell from front or back, no noise. It will stop if I slow it down to 50-55, but tries to get worse if I speed up and try to drive through it. Generally speaking it won't come back, for a good while. Some times several months but the Jeep is not a daily driver, gets used for running to hardware, lumber yard, boat ramp ect. I've been looking at the search threads and will check some more underneath but it's got me stumped. Any ideas I would appreciate....


#5 Black '06 WK limited quadra drive 4.7
rutro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Mp5ben
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,310
When is the last time you had tires replaced or balanced?
underscore likes this.

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
Mp5ben is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
rutro
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Malakoff TX
Posts: 25
Well it's been a year. I would expect a tire/wheel out of balance would be a constant thing. Not an ever once and a while thing like this is. I've had little globs of mud, a bit of packed sand ect make a vibration before, it won't quit until it's removed. And if big enough it'll make ya go to the shoulder and find it, because otherwise you'll be white knuckled worrying what it is. This starts off just noticeable and gets progressively worse as speed increases. I've never had anything quite like it happen before.

#5 Black '06 WK limited quadra drive 4.7
rutro is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Mp5ben
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutro View Post
Well it's been a year. I would expect a tire/wheel out of balance would be a constant thing. Not an ever once and a while thing like this is. I've had little globs of mud, a bit of packed sand ect make a vibration before, it won't quit until it's removed. And if big enough it'll make ya go to the shoulder and find it, because otherwise you'll be white knuckled worrying what it is. This starts off just noticeable and gets progressively worse as speed increases. I've never had anything quite like it happen before.
I would still have the tires balanced and rotated. Tires go through alot of wear and issues might appear on different textured surfaces and roads. It would help to eliminate wheels and tires at least so you can start looking elsewhere.

Then climb under and inspect for anything that looks out of place or very worn.

Aldo might be one of your driveshafts starting to go out. Mine vibed pretty bad when a u joint went bad, when I pulled it out it didn't have any range of motion at all to it!

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
Mp5ben is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Dinner
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Thomas
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutro View Post
Well it's been a year. I would expect a tire/wheel out of balance would be a constant thing. Not an ever once and a while thing like this is. I've had little globs of mud, a bit of packed sand ect make a vibration before, it won't quit until it's removed. And if big enough it'll make ya go to the shoulder and find it, because otherwise you'll be white knuckled worrying what it is. This starts off just noticeable and gets progressively worse as speed increases. I've never had anything quite like it happen before.
I had a similar problem dealer couldn't figure out. Mainly use my Jeep for towing, not my daily driver either. It was very intermittent, I finally connected the dots and realized it was a sticking rear emergency brake, left side. I started off and when I heard the noise start near highway speeds, pulled over and checked rear brakes. We have the drum e-brake inside the disc. Right side was cool, then nearly removed my finger prints on the left side so be carefull. The slider cam that was really stiff, I think the heat helped it relax then the problem went away until the next time. Jeep was new to me at that time and passed cert at a Jeep dealer so one would think they checked this kind of thing. The component I am referring to doesn't come with the rebuild kit, it is the piece where the cable connects and makes shoes spread apart. Dealer's mechanic even took it home one night and said yup it happened, all fixed, we balanced and rotated tires. Then it happened to me again.
Dinner is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
rutro
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Malakoff TX
Posts: 25
Hey thanks for those replies. I've been wondering/worrying about a drive shaft. That was one of the first things I checked after the first time this happened. But they were both tight with no play at all.... which seems to mean nothing with these new ones. Now that e-brake has my attention. I never would have thought about that. I knew they were inside the rear disc/wheel drums. I can see that driving a man to distraction with no trouble at all. Something about the way the e-brake handle pulls and releases on this one is not quite like my old '05 was. I use it a lot especially on the boat ramps.... don't need to go to the deep 6 car wash.

#5 Black '06 WK limited quadra drive 4.7
rutro is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Mp5ben
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutro View Post
Hey thanks for those replies. I've been wondering/worrying about a drive shaft. That was one of the first things I checked after the first time this happened. But they were both tight with no play at all.... which seems to mean nothing with these new ones. Now that e-brake has my attention. I never would have thought about that. I knew they were inside the rear disc/wheel drums. I can see that driving a man to distraction with no trouble at all. Something about the way the e-brake handle pulls and releases on this one is not quite like my old '05 was. I use it a lot especially on the boat ramps.... don't need to go to the deep 6 car wash.
My rear driveshaft had no play in it when i checked it under the vehicle and it was reallyyy bad. I would remove it from the Jeep to check the movement of all the joints. AND, it is non rebuildable..so you have to shop for a new one

I bought a new shaft on Ebay that has standard U joints so you can replace a $10 part instead of a new shaft each time

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
Mp5ben is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 PM
durango-bob
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 3,271
Check all your brakes when it happens. A dragging caliper can overheat the rotor and cause it to warp. When it happens, pull over and see if any of the brakes are significantly hotter than the others.
durango-bob is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Rojahdatt
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutro View Post
'06 WK limited w/130,00 +. This starts about 60-70 mph, just a vibration and I can't tell from front or back, no noise. It will stop if I slow it down to 50-55, but tries to get worse if I speed up and try to drive through it. Generally speaking it won't come back, for a good while. Some times several months but the Jeep is not a daily driver, gets used for running to hardware, lumber yard, boat ramp ect. I've been looking at the search threads and will check some more underneath but it's got me stumped. Any ideas I would appreciate....
I also had this problem.... Like others said check your brakes.
For me it tuned out to be the e-brake shoe liner on one side detached and was dragging.

I also came across one guy who suspected it was a worn rear spring causing some sort of harmonic vibration.
Rojahdatt is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
rutro
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Malakoff TX
Posts: 25
Well after all this time it finally did it again today. Driver side rear brake drum was smoking hot. None of the others were even warm actually, but that drivers side rear was HOT. I bent over to look at it first and that's when I smelled it, good thing because it could have pulled the hide off my fingers. Now I know where to look and it's almost got to be the e brake. Thanks Dinner and durango-bob for the heads up on this, I would have been scratching head still talking to myself.

#5 Black '06 WK limited quadra drive 4.7
rutro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome