Strange Smell With Windshield Defroster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Strange Smell With Windshield Defroster

Rugged Ridge Deals at JeepHut.comRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Savings on Rancho Shocks, Struts and Lift Kits

Unread 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
AJB973
2005 WK 

Strange Smell With Windshield Defroster

I'm not sure if anyone else has ever had this problem, but when I quickly turn on my windshield defroster after starting her up, I get this foul somewhat burning smell. Not sure where it is, but it stinks! Anyone else?

AJB973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

actually yes, I do have that too, mine has always had an engine oil/ penetrating oil smell to it. Do you happen to have a catch can?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

I have a catch can and no smell. But I had a similar stink from my ZJ, due to a lot of rotting pine needles and possibly something dead in my HVAC intake. Drastically reduced after I cleaned every last pine needle out along with a really cushy mouse nest over the warm manifold.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Sorry but that is usually bad news ... heater core leaking. Have it preasure tested. Last thing you need is engine anti-freeze spraying all over your interior.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
AJB973
2005 WK 

Thanks Tango. Sometimes it smells like exhaust, sometimes smells like something burning. Guess I'll be bringing the old gal in. Might as well get that rattling exhaust leak fixed while I'm at it lol
AJB973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
colinzj
2006 WK 

If you're not on recirc (or the recirc housing is broken), you'll definitely get exhaust and engine bay fumes coming in through the intake. They just kind of hang there, ready to be sucked up, in the cold weather. If it goes away once you're moving, it's probably okay.
Unread 02-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
ISUzj
2005 WK 

i was going to say, mine really stunk of PB-blaster when i sprayed my exhaust manifolds, but over time it has gone away, but my catch-can is right in front of the air intake box
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
attaboyy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB973 View Post
Thanks Tango. Sometimes it smells like exhaust, sometimes smells like something burning. Guess I'll be bringing the old gal in. Might as well get that rattling exhaust leak fixed while I'm at it lol

Just as Tango mentioned, I have had this exact same problem for the last month and was told it was the Heater Core leaking.

My local Jeep stealership just quoted me $1300 to replace the heater core including a new blend door actuator, I know it's labor intensive to remove the dash but god damn that's a lot of money. Currently trying to shop around for a better quote .. anyone know a reputable shop in Denver?
attaboyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.