Strange New noise under 05 Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Strange New noise under 05 Hemi

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Strange New noise under 05 Hemi

I have this new noise coming from under my car. Its just loud enought to hear when I'm next to a curb or a wall while driving or with the driver door open when stoped. It seems to be coming from the transmission, but it could be just about anything. Everything runs fine but I cant live with it till it breaks. Anyone heard this and/or know anything about it ??

HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
T-Rated

More info would be helpful. Is it a consistent noise, like a ticking/clicking/tapping/rattle? Does it speed up with the engine RPM? Does it speed up with driving speed? Only when the vehicle is in gear?

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

OK thanks... The noise is audible in park and while driving. Its quiet at idle but around 1500 to 2000 Rpm's. I got it pretty loud yesterday morning at startup, my wife even looked at me when she heard it. But it went away in less than a second.
After much thought..it sounds like a rusty wheel bearing might sound. Kind of like .. lets see.. A galling sound like rubbing a handfull of small gravel stones together. Frequency of the sound is about engine speed. I have heard similar sound coming from an improperly installed or damaged torque converter. I've decided to take it to the dealer for warranty service but I'll post their findings.
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
vtbert3
2006 WK 

I believe I have the same sound comming from my 06 GC hemi. The noise I hear is a ticking and I believe it is possibly something in the valvetrain such as a lifter etc. I found many complaints of this noise on a hemi charger forum and it seems to be a common problem on the hemi's. Interested to see what your dealer finds...
vtbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Well I inspected under the car and found a dent in the catalytic converter and the noise seems to be coming from there. There are exhaust pulses in the pipe and the core must be tapping the housing inside. I was planning to take it to the dealer on tuesday but something came up at work and I'll need the car tuesday. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Well.. wednsday it totally quit rattling. I suspect that the cat core wedged and isnt vibrating any more. It will be back and I'll post again when it does.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.