Strange '05 Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Strange '05 Problem

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Mr Derp

Strange '05 Problem

Hi guys,

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi) and something strange happened to it today, so I’m interested to know what you all think it may be. This afternoon when I went out to the car, the alarm was going off. The garage is a little ways away from the house, so I don’t know how long it had been going off, but I was out there at 11 pm the night before and it was quiet, then this morning / afternoon we had a big thunderstorm, so it could have started anytime. Anyway, when I go to start it, it makes a rapid clicking sound from under the hood. It sounds to me like the starter, but I’m not sure. Also, it says “D__ TEST Complete” (can’t remember the other 2 letters) in the dashboard display, then says “Service Electronic Brake System.” I put a battery charger on it to see if the battery was low (even though the lights / air come on when I turn the key) and it seems to be at least ½ charged, so I don’t think it has anything to do with the battery (Which has never been changed).

[Edit] Just went back out and checked on it and it seems the battery is low - now showing at about 25%. When I turned the key the rapid clicking didn't happen initially, but the "Engine Malfunction" light came on and stayed on, along with the same "Service Electronic Brake System" message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Last edited by Mr Derp; 07-29-2007 at 05:23 PM..
Mr Derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
I take it the clicking was when you went to start it? is it all ok now it has charged? I would say the storm set it off.
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Mr Derp

Nope, clicking still happens right away
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
merlinTec

are the lights flashing with the clicking?
Unread 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Mr Derp

Yes, they flash.
Unread 07-30-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
Is the fobs not turning off the alarm? Will it start ok?
Unread 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Mr Derp

Sorry, guess I wasn't being clear...

The alarm going off was just how I found out there was a problem with it. Don't know how it got set off or how long it was going off - there was no else around that weekend, so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

The jeep will not start. Usually, when you turn the key past the first stop inside the ignition it starts clicking rapidly. Sometimes the clicking is slow. With the key in the first ignition stop (the one that turns on the air, radio, etc) I get the message "Service Electronic Braking System" as well as the "engine malfunction" light.

I don't know whats going on with the battery. I have a charger on it, and its been on since yesterday evening, but every time I check it the battery life is lower. If you stand there and watch the charger, the needle kinda jumps up to around 50% for a little bit, then drops way down. Never seen it happen before.

The car won't jump start, either. Same clicking issue.

I don't know whats going on with it. It was fine on Saturday afternoon, so all this stuff happening over a couple hours with absolutely no one around is really strange.
Unread 07-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
merlinTec

Hi
Disconnect the battery give it 30 minutes then reconnect and retry.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.