Stock WK HID Output Versus MH1's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Stock WK HID Output Versus MH1's

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Stock WK HID Output Versus MH1's

So my buddy enjoys the output of HID's but is too lazy to do a real retro. I researched quite a bit about his new vehicle, a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK. From all the posts I found, the output (even with HID's) has a decent cutoff. I was somewhat disbelieving, but figured if that's what he wants, it's his vehicle. With the output nothing like a Honda Civic lol. He installed his PnP kit today and I grabbed a few shots before I left work. On the one side is my Grand Cherokee ZJ, with Morimoto MH1 3.0's and a VVME 35 watt, 4300K PnP kit. On the other is his Grand Cherokee WK with a stock housing and VVME 35 watt, 4300K PnP kit. He also did his fogs, but they glare like all hell, so I didn't even bother taking photos of that. Also, I am aware my passenger side is not rotated properly. It's zip tied in as I hit a tree and have a body shop appointment after the Holidays.

MH1 Left - PnP Only Right:

His PnP Output Only:

Above His Cutoff:

Below His Cutoff:

Side by side Above Cutoff:

Side by Side Below Cutoff:

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Pac Man
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those are stock halogen housings? Mine scatter a lot more than that!
Hemi - QDII - OME - S4XC Hidden Winch Mount -Talon 9.5SR - Full Matrix - 265/70/17 Duratrac's - Pintlers- Superchips - Magnaflow - Airaid - 5000k HIDs - Lightforce HID's - 4xG Front Guard - 4XG Diff Cover
Pac Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Yep, stock halogen housings with a VVME PnP kit in the WK. I was shocked how tolerable it was. He just needs to not run the fogs unless there is no oncoming traffic. Those fogs have tremendous glare.
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

i have pnp on my wk and out put and cut off is very similar to your buddies.
Sohcvtec1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcvtec1995 View Post
i have pnp on my wk and out put and cut off is very similar to your buddies.
I'm very surprised at how decent of a cutoff and how lacking in glare that setup actually is.

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
Yep, stock halogen housings with a VVME PnP kit in the WK. I was shocked how tolerable it was. He just needs to not run the fogs unless there is no oncoming traffic. Those fogs have tremendous glare.
If you do the fogs you can't go any brighter then 35w 3000k or they're completely blinding. I saw WK with 6000k and they were annoying in daylight. As far as the low beams go, I have a DDM kit in mine and the cut-off is fine. There's more of a glare off my stock fog lamps then my HID low beams.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

The difference between 3000k and 6000k has nothing to do with actual brightness, it's just a difference in color temperature, with 3000k looking rather yellowish in color and 6000k looking more bluish. The color difference may cause a difference in perceived brightness, though.

The reason the H.I.D. conversion works so well on the WK low beam halogen housing is that there is a mechanical shadow mask built into the housing that prevents any of the light that's coming out of the tip of the bulb from leaving the lens without first being directed/controlled by the reflector. It's a nice conversion...that I may just do on my wife's WK.

The reason that the converted fog lights ended up becoming flood lights instead is that the fog light housings do not have a shadow mask...so the light coming out of the bulb tip just blares out through the lens completely uncontrolled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.